3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Vent Visors? in-channel or 3M taped?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vent Visors? in-channel or 3M taped?

I've been thinking about getting some vent visors so I can have the windows down a little without the noise and air force. Which Brand do you prefer? In-channel or 3M taped? I would also like a little larger or wider, some look awful narrow.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:28 AM

I personally like the in channel, although I think they are narrower than the taped on ones. The reason I prefer them is because if you want to, you can always take them off withouth the nasty stickem left behind. Even though they may say guaranteed for ever, the do sometimes crack and break, they also are subject to sun fade and bleaching, so when the time comes to replace them, the in channel just pop right out.... just my $0.02 though
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 AM

I put on the tape kind and they work good so far. I liked the idea of the channel type but noticed that several people have had their windows scratched some by rubbing against the plastic when rolled up.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 AM

I have the in channel. Personally i think they look better, but they dont stick out far enough.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:47 PM

Do the in-channel kind still use any kind of tape to hold them in place or what holds them in place?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2006, 10:43 PM

The fronts are held in by the design of the curve. The backs do have tape and you are supposed to clean and roughen up the window seal at the top to allow the tape to stick. This is thin light weight tape and I have had one side not take too well. Not a problem as the windows are up most of the time and when down I just make sure not to go down too far.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:25 AM

I have the stick on and they have been there since the first week I had the truck. No problems at all.
I, personally, wouldn't get the "bigger" ones. They look goofy.....
Old 05-12-2006, 05:54 AM

I have them both over the years and they both work good. Out of about 6 rigs I have the channel one once.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had them both also. Once I tried the in channel type, that is all I will use. Looks better and both in channel types I have tried worked fine.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 AM

Exclamation

I just had Vent Visors in channel installed. First time I used them the window, it went up & crushed the lower front corner. Going back today to have it checked.
I hope it was an installation error & not just a poor product!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bob
I've been thinking about getting some vent visors so I can have the windows down a little without the noise and air force. Which Brand do you prefer? In-channel or 3M taped? I would also like a little larger or wider, some look awful narrow.
Bob,I have the weathertechs installed,good quality and easy install..They are the in-channel type,very happy so far.I have had them for about 1 year.coobie.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by earleb1
I just had Vent Visors in channel installed. First time I used them the window, it went up & crushed the lower front corner. Going back today to have it checked. I hope it was an installation error & not just a poor product!
I had the same thing happen. I installed them myself, and the first time the window went down and back up...CRUSH!!!

I went out and purchased a set made by 'Wade', and is a HARD plastic, vice that thin stuff that Vent Visor uses. I've had these in ever since, no problem.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Well guys, you have convinced me to go with the in-channel ones. I wanted them to stick out more for better rain protection, but I'm going to give the Wade in-channels a try. The Wades are not as dark as the others I've seen and I like that because with the pillar gauge pod on the pillar already, it's wide enough to be a safety problem. I can see through the Wades pretty easy.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Would recommend the smaller one, you will notice an increase, in interior wind noise. I too agree with a prior post, the truck looks better w/o vents but the benefits outweight the slight change in looks. I have stick on, hindsight I would have researched futher!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:50 PM

BB, how have the Wade in -channels worked for you?
I see them cheap on Ebay...

Quick Reply: Vent Visors? in-channel or 3M taped?