3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Upgraded steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the new setup is on, so far so good. Definitely less fedback in the wheel, and you guys are right, these bars are much more heavy duty pieces. They did not use the new pitman arm, but I will see if it seems like it needs more attention after a few rides down the highway to work.

The truck was at Dick Palmer & Sons Truck Service on 652 in Honesdale. I might have talked to B&B but was not sure how their service dept. was.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by hoot
I installed the Defiant support. Not sure if it's any better than the others but it fit well. I do like the fact that it is not a weldment. It's one piece.

I did a little install article here

Hoot,
You have the new steering components? I'll order the steering brace, I just want to make sure that it fits with the new geometry.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the new components but haven't installed yet. I see no reason it won't fit. It's far away from the new parts. The adapter on the sector shaft should fit no problem since that part of the pitman arm is identical I believe.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My steering parts came in yesterday, and I've got an appointment the second weekend of Jan. ...align and drive baby!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Treangen
OEM better than rancho...WOW! Where did you get that info?
rancho sux! i have one in the shop u can have cause im gonna throw it away!tha stocker was better ,didnt leave it on for 2 days! i also got the new linkage put on last nite and a very big diff. in my opinion
Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM

O.K. Guys, I'm not going through all the details, but those of you who are expecting the damper to show up with your new steering parts " forget it". If you need to get back on the road with the parts you have this is what you need to do. Take the old damper off the assembly, cut or grind off the flat washer opposite the nut, punch the rubber bushing and bolt out of the damper.I went to Summit and bought a replacement bushing that fit in the eye end of the damper for $3.85 for two, installed in a few minutes and drove off. This is temp. for me but It would would probably be just fine for guy's on a budget.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM

Today I had the steering upgrade performed, and they did it under warranty, I was a little concerned since I have a Kore Recon set up on my 06 Mega Cab that they would not perform it under warranty, but the service manager said that would not cause this problem. They would not put my Fox steering damper back on and said they have to use the new OEM one, but said since I am off warranty tomorrow just put it back on then. I must say the truck drives great, better than new. Parts installed 5212236AE-Tie Rods/links, 52122370AA-Dampener Steering, 6505623AA-Nut,Hex Lock.They also performed TSB 18-003-06 Shifting Enhancements. When very cold my truck would not shift to 4th for a very long time. Thanks everyone for the information.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*** mine wouldn't do it cuz they said my kore recon kit was causing it which i knew they were b.s.ing me
Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 AM

Had the new parts put on yesterday. The pictures don't do it justice. The tie rod and drag link are HUGE. Had it aligned, increasing the caster to 5.5º, and it drives perfectly.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I want to thank DTR Member "Slow Jeep" for starting this thread and for all the Members that have posted on this bad problem.

Like alot of you, my 2006 Dodge CTD CR 4X4, QC, Auto also has developed the dreaded "Death Wobble." The truck has 40,000 miles on it.
I have had the same TSB and front steering linkage installed on my truck with the exception of the steering damper, which has not come in yet. I have also installed a nes set of "Michelin" OEM Tires. This has stopped the "wobble" on smooth roads, but I am still getting if I hit a bump or uneven road surface at speeds between 65-80 MPH. My dealership should have the new steering damper in this coming Monday, so I will report back to all of you when they get that installed. All of the work on my truck was done under my extended Chrysler "Max Care" Warranty. I was told that if I would have had to pay for it, it would have cost over $900.00 with dealer labor!

I gotta tell all of you, I am disappointed in this truck! I have NEVER had this problem with ANY of my previous three Dodge CTD Pickups, including my
1992, 1996 and a 2002. My Son had this problem on his 2004, but is running the larger 35" "B.F. Goodrich Radial All-Terrain Tires." One of the Front End Dodge Technicians has told me "that this problem has come back with a vengance lately" and they are seeing alot of customers reporting this "Death Wobble" on the newer 2007-2008's.

Anyway,....thanks again for the thread and all the posts!

--------
John_P
Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ohyeahfriday
Well, the new setup is on, so far so good. Definitely less fedback in the wheel, and you guys are right, these bars are much more heavy duty pieces. They did not use the new pitman arm, but I will see if it seems like it needs more attention after a few rides down the highway to work.

The truck was at Dick Palmer & Sons Truck Service on 652 in Honesdale. I might have talked to B&B but was not sure how their service dept. was.
Lucky you went where you did. Against my better judgment, I left my truck at B&B before Thanksgiving to check a problem I was having with high EGTs. They had the truck six days and put 121 miles on it (no reason for it and has no answer for it) - said they diagnosed the problem as pinholes in the intercooler and a bad turbo. It's now after New Year's and the truck is exactly the same as when I brought it to them. I am now in the process of getting Scranton Dodge to try to straighten out the problem. Needless to say, I'm disgusted with the dealerships in NEPA. I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I'm just venting...I would not recommend B&B Dodge for warranty work.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

So with the alignment, all that should need adjusting is the Toe in correct? the camber and caster should not change correct? (solid axle?)

I ask because I plan on lifting it, however with the new cross over steering, after i lift it the only thing should be caster, toe in and camber shouldn't have changed? right?

I'm just currious because I don't put 100% trust in the shops around here, but would like to have a good base line as far as caster/camber as it is now, because it drives great, and would like to have it that way after (toe in is the easy one). Can't wait to order the stuff (I have a ton of s**t for it int he garage)
Old 01-04-2009, 04:13 PM

Camber never changes because you have a solid axle. Well, unless you bend the axle tubes or something to the like. Caster isn't affected by replacing the parts discussed in this thread. I only had the caster increased slightly to improve wheel tracking, or the return-to-center effect. You're right, the only thing that has to be aligned is the toe. As a matter of fact, the tech that replaced my parts had the toe extremely close to being within factory specifications before he put it up on the alignment rack, according to the printout the machine spits out.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM

doolie, sorry to hear about your experience at B&B. Good that you got the info out there to warn others, but sucks that it happened to you. One of my biggest concerns with leaving my truck somewhere to be worked on is who is driving, how far they are driving it and for what reason... Last thing you want to think about is some punk in the service dept. running around town to pick up lunch...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 PM

I just read all these posts but couldnt find the actual TSB number? Can someone post this. I have a few trucks that are going in for service and would like to have this performed. One guy has already complined about the death wobble while towing.

Quick Reply: Upgraded steering