3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Upgraded steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright I'm going to order the steering kit tonight, now couple questions if someone can help

52122362AE---This is the steering kit correct. Includes new tie rods, and everything. Connects from the pitman arm, to the tie rod, and then the other bar connects to the other tie rod correct?????

Also, $224 on dodgeparts.com. Sound good? Also, I will need the new dampener right??? I shouldn't have a problem with a stock Dodge dampener with a 6" lift, and 37" tires right????
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct on all accounts, LS1. You might need to buy a couple of bolts, nuts, and washers as well; im not sure if they are included with the AE kit or not now. Your dealer parts man should be able to tell you. You will need to either modify your existing damper mounts or buy the new damper. I don't have a problem with the OEM dampers on my truck with 35's. Im going to 37's next and have no plans on replacing the OEM damper with an aftermarket unit until this one wears out (which should be a while since it just got replaced when i had the new style setup installed). I think dodgeparts.com is probably about the cheapest you will find it nowadays.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Thanks a lot BroncoHound.....I ordered the dampener too .
Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only got the damper

Had a slight shimmy on bumps and dealer installed new damper. Will air up and try when they are done with the HVAC... Lots of potholes in MI!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM

well i finally got all mine replaced even tho i brought it down for just ball joints, ended up the whole front end got replace, new steering, u joints, ball joints, ss, everything except a wheel alignment wasn't covered but the new parts looks great so much beefier. I just need my steering box fixed which they say is because of my tires. I cannot turn my wheel when i am at a dead stop . Makes it ridiculous to try to turn my wheel when trying to back up my boat or trailer..
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 PM

ls1....you will need the nut that secures the damper on the stud mounted to the new linkage.Everything else will transfer over.The stock stabilizer will be marginal with 37's.Depending on where you drive and at what speeds may be less than safe.Carli suspension has a high mount kit that will work in conjunction with the stocker
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...tabilizer.html

If you go that route be sure to specify you have the up dated steering one clamp is different
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 PM

what are the pns for the stabilizer? and do you need a pitman arm? thanks a lot
Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM

can a defiant stabilzer be used in place of the factory and how are they , the base one from them is half the price or set up to there better one .
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Is there any way I can get this upgraded steering from a O'Reillys or Advance type of auto store? Or is the only way to order from a dealership or online?

I put in the part numbers but can't find the kit on any auto parts store online catalog. Do we have any parts numbers for each piece?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhozNxtLS1
Thanks a lot BroncoHound.....I ordered the dampener too .

Did the kit come yet, everything you needed?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by madbull
Is there any way I can get this upgraded steering from a O'Reillys or Advance type of auto store? Or is the only way to order from a dealership or online?

I put in the part numbers but can't find the kit on any auto parts store online catalog. Do we have any parts numbers for each piece?
--------------------------------------------------------------
madbull:

You can probably get Dodge CTD CR front end parts from the various auto parts stores, but the part numbers most of us have posted in this thread are Dodge part numbers. They can "cross reference" the part numbers here, to their specific manafacturers such as Moog etc.

--------
John_P
Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 AM

Every parts store and Moog did not have the new setup yet.
All they had was the old type.
I tried.....
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM

Recall Letter

I just received a recall letter from Dodge. What I am getting from the letter is if they inspect the front end and find that it hasent be replaced with the recalled parts, they wont do the work on their dime. Its an 06', and im sure that its the original front end. Has any one else received this letter that owns a 03'-07. I already bought the new parts from Dodgeparts.com (AE Series). I havent had time to put them on yet. Ant input would be great.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Ace
Banned

I got the letter. Threw it straight in the trash. I did ours back in January along with new ball joints and other front end aftermarket parts. Did most of it myself, basically rebuilt and beefed up the whole front end with a brace, track bar and new pitman.

I wanted it done right and no hassles about what may or may not be right or wrong with the front end. Don't like dealing with dealers. The first dealer I went to was trying to tell me the ball joints were still "in spec." What a load of rubbish they throw at you sometimes.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Got the letter, got the approval, and they ordered parts. Been having scheduling conflicts, but my truck IS getting done.

Quick Reply: Upgraded steering