3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Uncomfortable fron seats...Anyone else???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncomfortable fron seats...Anyone else???

I am having issues with my drivers seat.....It literally feels as if I am sitting on steel bars my hips and legs don't feel so great after a road trip. I really noticed it a few days ago I had to go into a new home site where it was a bit muddy and did some bouncing around to get back to it. And it was really noticable not much cushion or support at all. The supports seem way to close together or something.

My dealer shows no TSB's on the issue and called his area Rep and he says he has had no complaints.

As many of these trucks that are on the road I am finding it hard to believe I am the only one who has this problem.

Anyone else?????? If so did you get it fixed and how???
I called Dodge and the rep told me if no TSB or Recall I may have to live with it if its the way its designed. I said "YEAH RIGHT"

Just very disappointed in this expensive truck as I was planning on keeping it a long time and it seems Dodge made alot of cutbacks or something.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2004, 03:20 PM

JL,

I have an '04 2500 long bed 2wheel drive. With the power seat adjustments and "hand cranked" lumbar support, my wife and I have had no problems. Actually, we each have a slight back problem. We just came back from a 1200 mile round trip pull with our 5th wheel and felt it was very comfortable. Sorry I can't help, but just thought you might like to know.

Alan
Old 04-23-2004, 03:29 PM

JL,

Forgot to mention if you don't have the long bed and because it is a 4x4, it might ride harder. Just a guess. Not really sure.

Alan
Old 04-23-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the power seats & power lumbar supports, I think the seats in my Ram are as comfortable or more so than any 4x4 Pickup that I have owned or ridden in.

But of course it's a pickup truck not a Limo so you can expect some bouncing around when you get off the beaten path.

JMHO
Old 04-23-2004, 03:53 PM

Bouncing around off road is a given...But when you are hitting the steel rails in the seat that just plain hurts.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:10 PM

I believe someone else complained of the same issue with his 3rd gen. If I remember right, it was over on the TDR. Try a search over there and you may be able to find it.

It's not so much the ride that some are complaining about, it's that on some trucks, the seat cushion is not thick enough and some people are literally hitting the support bars underneath the seat. They should warranty it, I would think. If not, or out of warranty, I just take it to an upholstery shop and have them put in new, better supportive cushions.

FWIW, my seat is the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in. 3 335 mile trips and no back ache. But, then again, I only have 1800 miles on the truck.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

I would suggest that you go to any upholstery shop and have the cushion built up. Will be inexpensive and then you will be comfortable. 4x4 ride like lumber wagons compared to the 2wd. Also go to your dealer and compare with a new one on the lot to see if you have a defect. Atkins mebbe??
Old 04-23-2004, 05:35 PM

Went to my dealer this morning and looked at new and they seemed alot more rounded at the sides and more support over the rails in the seat. I really would like to look at a slightly used one to compare mine to that.

I suggest you sit in your seat and then feel right behind your hip and you will feel a steel rail with very little cushion.

And this is somethign I feel all the time not just going off the beaten path. It was just more noticeable going off the beaten path.

Atkins
Old 04-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Yes, there was definitely someone on here that complained of what felt like "sitting on metal rails" or something. There was a fairly lengthy thread about peoples opinions about the new seats compared to the Gen 2's. Most felt the Gen 2 was more comfortable although I had never owned myself so I cannot comment on that. I will say that I feel my seats are very comfortable although I only weigh about $1.50 so if you are over a couple hundred pounds it may be possible you are compressing the cushions more than they were designed for which I think would be poor engineering. Lastly I think that if I didn't have the power adjustable seats with the Lumbar I wouldn't care for them a bit because if the seat is set just a little too low or high for my liking OR if the lumbar is not all the way out, it gets uncomfortable really quick for me. .02..........
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 PM

Which seat do you have? Standard cloth? Prem Cloth? Leather? Laramie? Did I miss any? I don't think they are all created equal.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:25 AM

I have the Prem Cloth in my 04.5 and like them better than the ones I had in my 2 nd. generation. If it were me, I would have it fixed one way or another, it will bug you forever. Just my .02
Old 04-24-2004, 08:52 PM

My truck is an SLT with the premium cloth seats.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:49 AM

i tip the scales at a mere 250# and i find a siatic nerve jumping from my hip to my toe on long trips. i can feel the rail you are speaking of accross the back of the seat cushion. my 96 was a better seat i think.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:03 AM

I checked out an older Dodge SLT I think it was a 2000 model at my local dealer and the seats are very different than my 03. I noticed they were much bigger overall and the support rails were clear out towards the edges of the seat instead of directly underneath you like the never ones are. The newer seats look like a more supportive design as far as holding you in the seat better. But those dang bars are to close to the butt.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an ST with cloth seats, and like myself the rest of the family finds them very comfortable, especially on long trips. I have my seat adjusted so that I have a comfortable reach to the wheel with room to turn with one hand, so I end up sitting kind of high and very upright. I sit with a natural curve in the lower back, and little pressure on the hamstrings under the thighs. I weigh about 205 now.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable fron seats...Anyone else???