3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Trip report - Just the facts

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Trip report - Just the facts

Hey Boss Hog, those are some great numbers your pickup put up. I envy your place in the mountains and your trip in your truck. Is this a great Country, or what? <br> As per light mans' comments, I say that is just one of the many wonderful advantages of living in the USA. I use my CTD for work and play, and I think it is well suited. I think what the greenie mind-sets ignore is the fact that we've hardly touched our own resources yet. Because the enviro-dopes have made it so difficult to use our own natural resources, yet thinking it's OK to get them from the other side of the world where they could give a #### less about environmental controls, human rights, or life itself, all the while gladly taking our money, laughing at us, and plotting to kill us. It is not a matter of cosumption, it is a matter of common sense, which seems to have been tossed out for political correctness, if you ask me.<br> While I am on a little soap-box, I'll say this. Wether I am in my over-powered 3G Dodge truck, or my over-powered Chrysler LHS, I just love to put the hammer down and blow the doors plum the hell off of some bacon-stripe in his little yuppie-mobile. And sometimes all of this happens while the sweet creature and I are bathed in perfect air conditioned comfort as we drive over 100 miles just to enjoy a red-blooded steak in our favorite restraunt. <br> I worked hard and continue to work hard to maintain this lifestyle. my Dad and his Dad and many, many others laid it all on the line so we could live like this. No-one, but no-one will ever, EVER, tell us what or when we can drive or how.<br><br>Hair standing up on back of neck,<br><br>Old School
Old 07-04-2003, 11:35 AM

[quote author=Lightman link=board=17;threadid=16637;start=0#156334 date=1057280454]<br>WOW! You guys all think that those figures are great, and they probably are for trucks. They are shockingly high to me though! That same trip would have only used 143 gallons in my TDI diesel, and $215 in fuel costs..(1.50/gal). I hope you were towing something all that way!? Seems like an awfully expensive way to travel. <br><br>Regardless, I still need and will get a HO sometime soon, I have caught the bug. Definitely won't take it on road trips unless I have to though. I can't justify consuming that much more of our natural resources, and causing so much more pollution/emissions comparatively, just to feel cool in the truck... <br>[/quote]<br><br>OLD SCHOOL, I SECOND THAT THIS IS A GREAT COUNTRY! Especially on this fourth of July!<br><br>FWIW, I drove more than that in a VW Golf TDI, from NY, NY to Missoula, Montana to Flagstaff, AZ to Las Vegas, NV to Cheyenne, WY down to Houston, TX and back home, with a lot of stops in between.<br><br>I think that you are comparing apples to oranges. I will admit the TDI is what got me into diesel, but a TDI is useless hauling anything and is definitely not as comfortable as a big Dodge Ram. <br><br>I had myself, a passenger and probably a few hundred pounds of crap in the back of the Golf, and a ski rack on the roof and could not maintain 65MPH up some of the hills in Colorado. With the ski rack, mileage dropped down to high 30s low 40s at best. <br><br>Consider the drag and dry weight on a Ram vs. the drag and dry weight on a CTD, the VW motor is probably not much more efficient. Besides the fact that you can't lie down or sleep in a VW (not sure how many people would sleep in their truck but hey, when you've just driven 17 hours straight and youre in the middle of no where, you don't always have a choice!)<br><br>Some fun pictures:<br><br>Old school this is right off 230E in Wyoming:<br>http://www.cdevco.net/usa_trip/images/IMG_1329.jpg<br><br>Breckenridge, CO:<br>http://www.cdevco.net/usa_trip/images/IMG_1362.jpg<br><br>Self explanatory:<br>http://www.cdevco.net/usa_trip/images/IMG_1255.jpg<br><br>99 cent diesel... muhahaha...<br>http://www.cdevco.net/usa_trip/images/IMG_1258.jpg<br><br>ENJOY!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=Lightman link=board=17;threadid=16637;start=0#156334 date=1057280454]
WOW! You guys all think that those figures are great, and they probably are for trucks. They are shockingly high to me though! That same trip would have only used 143 gallons in my TDI diesel, and $215 in fuel costs..(1.50/gal). I hope you were towing something all that way!? Seems like an awfully expensive way to travel.
[/quote]

This is what happens when you try to haul a heavy load with
your VW.
Let's compare Apples with Apples.

This was the load the hapless driver tried to carry home on/in his Jetta.

The materials were loaded at *****. The ***** store manager made the customer sign a waiver before loading. Both back tires are trashed. The back shocks were driven up through the floorboard. On the roof are many 2X4s, 4X4s and OSL sheets of lumber. The load isn't all that meets the eye either. In the back seat were ten 80-pound bags of concrete! They estimated the load weight at 3000 lbs. The car is a VW Jetta with FL plates and the guy said he was headed for Annapolis!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 07-04-2003, 05:16 PM

I own both a 2002 Jetta TDI and a '03 Dodge Cummins HO 2500 4X4 Quad Cab. I can vouch for the super mileage of the TDI. My wife and I took a trip to New England last fall and went nearly 2800 miles on 49.5 gallons of fuel (over 56.5 mpg).<br><br>However, I have to agree about its limited hauling capability. I blew out a rear tire trying to cram all of my son's personal belongings in it when driving him to college recently. That's when we decided to get the Dodge Cummins!<br><br>Plus, as outstanding of mileage as the TDI obtains, I'm even more surprised at the mileage I'm getting with the Dodge so far, considering it's a 4X4, and has a relatively huge frontal area. We just returned from a trip to New York to visit family (and show off the truck ) and got 21.6 mpg (1750 miles on 81.1 gallons). This was going 70-75 mph with the air conditoning on most of the way!
Old 07-05-2003, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=17;threadid=16637;start=0#156488 date=1057331658]<br>[quote author=Lightman link=board=17;threadid=16637;start=0#156334 date=1057280454]<br>WOW! You guys all think that those figures are great, and they probably are for trucks. They are shockingly high to me though! That same trip would have only used 143 gallons in my TDI diesel, and $215 in fuel costs..(1.50/gal). I hope you were towing something all that way!? Seems like an awfully expensive way to travel. <br><br>Regardless, I still need and will get a HO sometime soon, I have caught the bug. Definitely won't take it on road trips unless I have to though. I can't justify consuming that much more of our natural resources, and causing so much more pollution/emissions comparatively, just to feel cool in the truck... <br>[/quote]<br><br>A bit self-righteous, don't you think? :<br>[/quote]<br><br>Boy all of you guys sure got defensive pretty quickly, LOL! I was simply stating my opinion, the beauty of discussion forums and the USA. Just like I respect everyone's right to choose the vehicle they like. I'm not one of those suv bashing tree huggers, so remove your collective panties from their wads . As I said in my posts, I think cummins' are awesome and will probably get one this year. For me personally, I will only use it to tow, or when I need it, as I originally posted, because I dont enjoy being wasteful if I dont have to.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:30 AM

Boy, a little trip report sure livened up this place . Now, who's got the next controversy?<br><br>For the record:<br>1. We do have a second car but its a Honda del Sol. I was thinking of using it to haul the camping gear but the picture posted by shovelhead convinced me that would not be a good idea ;D<br>2. I work in the aerospce industry but I'm afraid of flying <br><br>The Boss Hog<br>(it IS the 4th of July ;D)
Old 07-05-2003, 07:57 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas

Haze grey and underway ??? Sounds like tin can sailors to me
We always said long and black and never comes back.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:26 AM

[quote author=shortround link=board=17;threadid=16637;start=15#156792 date=1057409867]<br>Haze grey and underway ??? Sounds like tin can sailors to me <br>We always said long and black and never comes back.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Humm . . . sounds like one of those underwater RV's to me
Old 07-05-2003, 11:08 AM

Shovelhead, thats hilarious, I've seen that one before. Surprisingly, the drivers were under the influence... I can't believe they tried to drive like that. OF COURSE, if it were a TDI diesel, they would have towed it no problem : ;D
Old 07-05-2003, 11:09 AM

Actually, I tow a 1200lb trailer with my ATV on it with my TDI, and average 75-85MPH with a/c on, and get about 32mpg... It does pretty well. I wouldn't want to go more than 1500, but hey, its not designed to be a tow vehicle
Old 07-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Banned

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=17;threadid=16637;start=15#156493 date=1057333382]<br>HMMmmm - my sincerest apologies for any part of controversy my comments may have created - my primary points were that diesel CARS differ in design from that of trucks, and are focused on different needs and uses - and that comparisons between a diesel automobile and a diesel TRUCK are not particularly valid. <br><br>I also wanted to point out that many buyers on limited incomes, must often choose a vehicle that will be required to function as a double-duty vehicle - do the heavy work, AND also function as the &quot;family car&quot; when needed - it would be NICE to have a vehicle specific to different functions - but many can't afford that luxury and must make the most practical compromise available to them.<br><br>This COULD be a significant point for some new owners of diesel trucks - or those contemplating making a diesel truck purchase at some point - if their only exposure to diesels in the past have been with one of the excellent economical diesel cars, they MIGHT have unrealistic expectations as to what a diesel TRUCK will provide by comparison - yeah, for similar work and loads, a diesel truck WILL deliver substantially better MPG than it's corresponding gas counterpart - but certainly NOT like what a diesel CAR will - different vehicles, built for different functions...<br><br>Better to be informed, and face up to that fact BEFORE you make your purchase, than AFTER! ;D ;D<br><br>SPOTS - if *I* offended you in ANY way, I apologize - and hope my explanation helps smooth things over - I haven't the slightest doubt you would be VERY happy with the operation of one of the new Dodge Diesels - and will look forward to your personal observations after you do!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Gary:<br>I was not offended at all. Of course I know that different vehicles have different jobs. Our Passat TDI was used as a commuter car for my wife from home to work and a bit of tearing around town. We have usually taken the truck on trips because of the room in the back for cargo and our two dogs who lounge in the rear.(not to mention the company fuel card and the wear/tear they pay for.....wait a minute I own the company....hmmmmm ) Two dogs and luggage in the Passat is a bit of a tight cram. Also with all the soccer moms driving those stupid vans and yelling at their kids I want something more substantial when they lose control, cross the interstate and hit us head on. Carry on with the lively discussion. I enjoy it.<br>
Old 07-05-2003, 08:40 PM

thats an awesome combo you have there. Passat tdi for high mpg cruising and cummins for pulling down peoples homes and small skyscrapers! ;D The new passat TDI comes out in august or so, and should be pretty wicked. Its about time they reintroduced it.