3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Trash Bag Hook

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 01:58 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Try one of those little airline nylon pull string bags that they give you in business class. Works great and matches the color too.

Wetspirit
Old 06-12-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hook works great for hanging my cell phone on it. I also have convinced my wife that Dodge put it there to hang her purse (and she uses it)!

You could also hang your bag of Bull-Durham tobacco on it!
Old 06-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a hook??
Old 06-12-2004, 07:55 PM

My wife and I eat a lot of BBQ. If there's anything bad about BBQ it's the meat that gets stuck in your teeth. Last time we were at Cooper's they sold little toothpick holders with an elastic hanger. Fits perfectly on that hook.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:20 PM

I asked the saleslady what the hook was for when I took the test drive, and believe it or not, she said, "Oh that's for hanging KFC take-out bags." So that's what I use it for, it works like it was made for 'm. TacoBell same kind of bags I'm thinking. Nat
Old 06-13-2004, 09:32 AM

I suppose the engineers (I've never met one who readily admits to being incorrect-not to hate on engineers cause I barely made it out of HS-just a mindless stereotype I thought I'd throw in)brag about the "many inovative uses"

Hey, mindless stereotypes aren't good, and if you don't agree just think about the ones about a "barely out of HS" pickup driving guy. I've got a job same as you, just because mine is different doesn't mean I'm a moron, always right, nor geeked about some stupid hook. Alright?

FWIW, I don't know a single engineer who would brag about a hook, much less demand one. The problem with your view is that most engineers just do what some manager or marketing type tells em to. It's their job to make sure it can be built cheaply and doesn't break under some specified (but probably incorrect) specification.

As an engineer myself I know I'm never right. When you really dig into things there is no "right' or "wrong". Nothing makes everyone happy. So there is some balance to strike.

I can just see it now.

Marketing - "Make a hook in the dash for garbage, our marketing tells us we need one"
Engineer - "What sort of garbage bag"
Marketing - "You know a bag!"
E - "Bags come in all shapes and sizes"
M - "Just make it work"
...time passes, prototype comes out...
M - "Bags fall off that hook!"
E - "Not the bags I used"

And that's just for a hook. Vehicles are complex to design and build. Add to that the target audience is hundreds of thousands of people. It's easy to complain that this or that isn't just right. Personally there are days I'm amazed they even run.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:51 AM
db

Royal Crown bag (small) works great!
Old 06-13-2004, 12:32 PM

I stop by the Harley Davidson boutique store and grab a bunch of small bags and use em. LOL look better then taco bell or KFC
Old 06-13-2004, 12:34 PM

Stevenknapp
Quote: Hey, mindless stereotypes aren't good but, and if you don't agree just think about the ones about a "barely out of HS" pickup driving guy. I've got a job same as you, just because mine is different doesn't mean I'm a moron, always right, nor geeked about some stupid hook. Alright?

Did I say engineers are morons? Did I say they were geeks? If I offended you I do not appologize as it was stated clearly as a mindless aside to my other comments. Jimmy Kimel from the "Man Show" made a remark recently about him hoping Detroit didn't win the NBA championship because he thought the citizens would burn the city down during the celabration. I thought this was funny as hell but he caught some flack for it. What do you think of this stereotypical comment?

I find this forum extremely helpfull and informative but is most definitely not the place to test out humor (too many engineers I suppose ).
Anyway from now on, Stevenknapp, any post I make just ignore or assume it is mindless rantings from an uneducated ignorant dope. FYI due to our great country this low IQ diesel enthusiast owns a small business and provides jobs for hard working employees - all started-w-nothing and I mean nothing (but an opportunity and a desire to succeed).

BTW - what would you say the general makeup of this forum is? You can't deny the cast majority of us fall into one or maybe a few "general" personality traits. This, my friend, is a stereotype and I'm happy to be lumped in!

Much love from SE NC
Old 06-13-2004, 01:09 PM

I think it should be closer to the drivers side! I mean if I'm gonna be hanging bags that contain foods such as KFC....I want easy access to the bag!
Pop-Pop has a good idea and I actually tried it. It works! It's a great place to hang my cell phone! But again, here lies the problem with it being too far away from the driver.
DC should have provided us with multiple hooks in multiple locations - all interchangable with different styles of hooks!
Old 06-13-2004, 05:47 PM

I think I solved this problem for my own purposes anyway. I am going to put a groove at the turn where my plastic grocery bag settles (and then falls off). Hopefully this groove will allow the bag to sit deeper and not be so suseptable to flying off. I think a little carefull application of a die grinder and carbide tool should do the trick.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:54 PM

Jimmy Kimel from the "Man Show" made a remark recently about him hoping Detroit didn't win the NBA championship because he thought the citizens would burn the city down during the celabration. I thought this was funny as hell but he caught some flack for it. What do you think of this stereotypical comment?

Having been to downtown Detroit a few times, I'd disagree with him. If they did win and burn down the city it would be an improvement! Tho I doubt there is much left that would burn. (note the smilies)

Anyway from now on, Stevenknapp, any post I make just ignore or assume it is mindless rantings from an uneducated ignorant dope.

No offense taken, nor any intended! The big grin on my face as I typed that must have been lost in print. Sorry 'bout that. People are people, I've known stupid PhD's and brilliant kids. Starting your own business and running it successfully is a huge challenge.

Just thought if you wanted to blame some folks for the hook, blame marketing!

This is a great forum. But just wanted to throw out the .02. You see a lot of "what was the engineer thinking that did this?!?" It's hard to remember that there are a billion details in these vehicles and they do get a large majority right. It's sick what goes into even the smallest details.

A friend designs trans cooler lines. I asked him about tapping into one for trans temp. I got a good 10minutes of detail on the materials, how they fatigue, how the tap would impact that, how the probe would change fluid flow... Hmm...maybe the hook designer really is excited about it.

BTW, not sure how much it differs from the SE, but I do get down to Cherokee NC (NW corner) twice a year. It's just wonderful down there.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:45 AM

stevenknapp - I just got back from the Outer Banks last week and it was incredible. I don't know where Cherokee is but NE corner is near the OB so if you go again try and take in some of the history of the area and go to Manteo for some "Lost colony" stuff and, of course, Kitty Hawk has a lot of real interesting Wright Bros. info. I learned a lot of facts that are not readily available from other sources.
Did you get the trans temp figured out. I did mine by removing the governor plug and screwing the probe into it. It was the same NPT size but I had to tap out the trans deeper cause the probe had almost no taper to it and wouldn't "catch" the threads. Good luck on that (I had to extend the wire as well).
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 AM

I will secoud that on the Crown Royal bag to put goodies in for a long trip, that is what I do when the 1911 colt is not hanging from there.
Found a holster that works great on it.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:34 PM

I wonder which would give the patrolman more cause for concern?
I know in some of the areas I travel a crown royal bag would get me a new passenger side window. I also live in NC where it is legal to have an exposed side arm (God Bless America!) and have a pistol or revolver visible in a vehicle (God Bless America again) but I have found a sweet place to hide my weapon of choice and will risk a confrontation-w-Mr. Police Officer by making him aware of the fact that I have a hidden pistol as a 1st priority. Hopefully he will be leanient-if not I will face the consequences as a trade off to having a handy yet hidden spot for my steel shot filled 5 shot "get off me" gun.
Diesels and guns - now we are talkin!

Quick Reply: Trash Bag Hook