3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tow mirrors, got em and the passenger one sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow mirrors, got em and the passenger one sucks!

When i bought my truck it came with a tow pkg and all, but just the regular mirrors. I didnt mind at first but i hated not being able to see my blind spot on my pass side and not being able to see my rear wheels when i am pulling into a parking spot and looking at the white lines in respect to my rear wheels. My fix was to buy some concave mirrors that stick onto the mirrors, these worked just fine, but after about 3 months they would get water in them (condensation most likely) and start to corrode the mirror. I have tried about 4 differant types, all the cheap $1.99 plastic ones because i could not find any real glass ones. Well i got fed up and bought some tow mirrors on Ebay. The mirrors i got where mopar ones matching the stock number for my truck. Why does the passenger mirror not have the "objects in mirror are closer then they appear" the pass mirror is exactly like the driver one. There is no wide angle portion to it and the large part of it is completely usless. The concave portion of it is the only part i can use on the passanger side. I still have to look over my shoulder to change lanes, I got these mirrors so i would not have to do this, Why did dodge put a regular mirror on the passenger side and not a wide angle one like on every other vehicle in the world????
Old 03-09-2006, 04:04 PM

Because they are tow mirrors and when you rotate them vertical it would skew everything vertically. Passenger mirrors aren't convex, they are curved laterally. Would totally screw up your field of view. You'll get used to using them. The first time I was on the freeway when i got my truck I was changing lanes and looked over into my right mirror and over my shoulder. As I began my change I looked into the mirror again and almost pulled back into my lane. The car that was over there was a safe distance away but when I looked at it in the mirror again my mind automatically adjusted for the passenger side mirror and I thought that it was closer than it was.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you'll get used to them...especally with a trailer they are a lot better than the regular mirrors. I had a hard time getting used to the trailer mirrors in the folded out position...but now that I am used to them they are way better then the originals for towing or regular cruising.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pull U 2
I think these are some of the best tow mirrors I've had. Even in the flipped in position I think the work great.
I love mine too!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:28 PM

Don't your tow mirrors have both a large flat mirror AND a smaller convex one? Mine, on my 2006, certainly do. It's the best of both worlds on BOTH sides of the vehicle. Best mirrors I've ever had.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 PM

When I bought my '05 it came with the towing mirrors. I have to say it did take some getting used to, but I found I could adjust them differently than I would a normal driver's side mirror and they are much more practical now. I am thinking about getting a set for my '02.
mishkaya
Old 03-09-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best thing since......

I love my tow mirrors. I tow a trailer every day and whenever I want to know who's on my right side all I look at is the "little" fish-eye mirror. I don't even bother looking at the big flat portion.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

This is first time I've had the tow mirrors on any of my trucks and they did take a bit of getting used to but I just luv them now compared to the stockers on my 04. Awesome! I also almost always use the smaller convex mirror on the passenger side now, very nice in deed. Heated and powered... gotta luv it. Haven't even tried them flipped up yet. Boating season is coming
Old 03-11-2006, 04:50 AM

these tow mirrors are the best mirrors i have had in a vehicle i have driven.. the few time i have towed with my truck, i have kept the mirrors in the down position.. i tried them up once and i hated it..
Old 03-11-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have created a group of modern drivers that don't know how to use mirrors properly thanks to the passenger side convex safety mirrors. Towing mirrors must be flat glass in order to show an accurate as possible image for judging distance at the rear and sides of the trailer. Safety mirrors would make you think you have cleared the other vehicle when passing and the trailer would clip the overtaken vehicle. Safety mirrors also make things smaller and this is amplified the longer the distance so unless you have really good eyes details are harder to see. I believe the 3rd gen tow mirrors are better due to the fact they have heat and are power so you could temporarily adjust the right one to see the lines by your wheel. Tow enough trailers and you can appreciate the Dodge units over Ford and GM as they still do not have a mirror that makes visibility a priority. PK
Old 03-11-2006, 02:29 PM

Maybe I just need to get used to the Dodge towing mirrors on my 06, but I think the towing mirrors on my Ford Super Duty were far better than the Dodge. The convex mirror seems to be too small and in the wrong place on the mirror. I feel like I still have a big blind spot. Again, maybe I just need to get used to them.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 PM

if you dont mind me asking...what are yall payin for heated power tow mirrors?
Old 03-11-2006, 09:26 PM

I think they were a $100 upgrade from the factory. A recent quote from a dealer for replacements was $400, but I do not know if that was for just one or a pair.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

I paid $145 Cdn as an option when I ordered the truck but they are around $500 to buy after-the-fact.
Was finally able to order a rear window defrost and I'm all set up here.

Quick Reply: Tow mirrors, got em and the passenger one sucks!