3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

tom tom one xl GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 PM
wrm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tom tom one xl GPS

if you have one what do you think of the way it works?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM

I have a Tom Tom Go 700 would not leave home without it. Best portable nav system. Your question about the One, every one of my employees have bought this model, it does not have the features of the 700 but a excellent unit. It is really superb if you are direction challenged, like me thats the last thing I want to worry about is finding directions to a job site hundreds of miles away.
If you can afford to spend the money for the bigger model I would, there are many more advance ones above my model these days.
Oh and tried to get lost with the nav, but the darn thing always would figure another route. Buy it you won't be disappointed.

flgc
Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 PM

I have the Alpine Blackbird, has a FM modulator built in so you can here the turn by turn directions through your stereo, you can also buy the extra traffic control that will let you know where road construction is located and route you around if you would like. maps are thing of the past
Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will these tell you the speed you're traveling at? And could I take it off and use it on my boat?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM

I have a Palm T|X with a Bluetooth GPS module and Tom Tom software. It will pester you to no end if you refuse to follow the route it wants to take you, and usually takes you through the most congested areas. But if you don't know the area, it's invaluable. Since it's Tom Tom software running on a Palm, I also have all my contacts, schedule, and to-do list. I also have software that keeps track of my mileage, fuel costs, and other vehicle expenses. It has Wi-Fi, so I can get my email on it as well. I probably should have bought a Treo so I cold have it as my cell phone, but I haven't heard very many good things about those.

As for going off-road, or land, I don't think that Tom Tom would be a good choice, since it doesn't give you the GPS coordinates.

HTH
Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Right off hand I don't know what model Tom Tom we have but it doesn't give the speed and it doesn't have a topographical feature for offroading/boating. I got it for free from my father-n-law who is electronically challenged and stated that Tom Tom got him lost and didn't know where he wanted to go. We've used it several times and have enjoyed it. There are two distinct areas that I really like to use it. Going to a big city that I've never been before and driving at night in poorly lit areas. I was driving in the Fresno area at night a few months back with a little bit of fog and the roads were dark-Tom Tom gave me the direction and distance of the next turn and counted down the distance as the turn was coming up. I never saw the upcoming street corner and would never had known that a street was even there otherwise.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 PM

i am gettin the garmin streetpilot 7200 sick gps unit... portable but great for the price
Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 AM

I had the tom tom one. It' not a bad gps and it does give you the speed your traveling. It was a PITA to turn on. It needed to be reset alot and I got fed up with it. I went to a Garmin Nuvi 350 from wallyworld. $400 and this thing rocks.

by the way, the Nuvi kicks butt over the Stock GPS from DC.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Tom Tom 700 and it works real good traveling. The problem is the software, I wasted soooooo much time getting it to connect to any computers (with the supplied USB chord and CD). . I gave up a long time ago. It would be nice to get updates for the thing, but unless you have a cell phone that communicates with it you are out of luck. My brother has the same one and was finaly able to get an update and cooperate but it took a lot of time. Trying to talk to a human is very hard to do there, just go on the web site and try to find a phone number. I have had it for over a year now maybe the software is fixed I would say stay away from Tom Tom IMO.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Got the Tom Tom Go as a gift. I am a little computer challenged but figured it out to do the stuff I needed. I used it on a recent 2000 mile trip and it worked great. The only gripe was on the so called points of interest. It showed gas stations where there were none and didn't show the ones I drove right past.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 PM

The Blackbird will give the speed your traveling, average speed, fastest speed, slowest speed, how long traveling, how long vehicle was idle, elevation, pretty neat unit, Alpine will email if any software upgrades are available easy to install software hooks up with USB cable,
Old 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM
wrm

the XL is new and was going to fix all the old problems.trying to find out if they did.