3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Strange intermittent noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange intermittent noise from front end

The Ram in my sig has started with an unusual noise in the front end. It has done it 3 times. Once pulling out of a parking lot onto a road, once pulling into my driveway and once going down t he highway. All three involved a "quick" dip/bump. The noise sounds like a large out of tune guitar string. The first time it happened I thought I hit something that might have ricochet off of the running boards the way it resonated through the truck. Sounds like it is on the drivers side. Speed bumps do not reproduce the sound. Pot holes doe not reproduce the sound. Any ideas? TIA.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the steering is at a full lock I would say the noise is coming from the steering stops. Need to add a little grease to them.

MikeyB
Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be a coil spring shifting in it's seat?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:49 PM

I dont know about the steering stops as it has made the sound going in a straight line (highway). The coil spring shifting? Makes sense, but I cant reproduce it on a harsh bump (say a speed bump or something like that). Both times it happened in a turn it was a right turn, though not sharp. And I cant remember if it was on compression or rebound of the spring. It catches me off guard since it is so intermittent. I'll look in the spring cups if I can for any shiny spots.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same sounds... Im taking mine to the dealer... it sounds just as you described... I can replicate it by having my front pass. tire in a dip and rocking the truck on the pass side running board. Seems to be indeed coming from the front coils, the bucket area... there is also a sharp pulse that goes thru my coil associated with the sound... I think it may be the spring shifting as posted above. it sounds so annoying, a new truck shouldnt sound like that. I will yield the results of the dealer after this weekend.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 PM

noise

I think I had the same noise coming from my 04. I found on the back of one of my nuts on the steering linkage not sure about the real name of the part. It is a catch on the nut to keep it from spinning well it had spun around and was hitting the spring and it was making quite the noise. loosned it up put it back the way it should have been noise went away. You might check that. it was on the driver side real close to the bottom side of the spring.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SolarExpress
The Ram in my sig has started with an unusual noise in the front end. It has done it 3 times. Once pulling out of a parking lot onto a road, once pulling into my driveway and once going down t he highway. All three involved a "quick" dip/bump. The noise sounds like a large out of tune guitar string. The first time it happened I thought I hit something that might have ricochet off of the running boards the way it resonated through the truck. Sounds like it is on the drivers side. Speed bumps do not reproduce the sound. Pot holes doe not reproduce the sound. Any ideas? TIA.
Mine has done it lots of times. It sounds like a spring popping from temperature change. Might be associated with the power window assembly.
Mike
###
Old 03-15-2006, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. When I get time I think I'm going to crawl under the truck and tap on some suspension parts with a hammer to see if I can duplicate the sound at least. Let us know what the dealer days 2-stroke.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:22 PM

will do, Im flying to NYC tom... so the truck will be with them till monday - hopefully a resolution.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 PM

Don't know if this will help, but: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=80095
Old 03-19-2006, 08:21 PM

I called my dealer and talked to them... it seems the sway bar bushings were worn... they have to order them in and install, so I cant swear its fixed... but its logical - Check yours out... that might be your problem aswell!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
I called my dealer and talked to them... it seems the sway bar bushings were worn... they have to order them in and install, so I cant swear its fixed... but its logical - Check yours out... that might be your problem aswell!
Sway bar bushings worn? On an '05? How miles do you have? My '05 has ~15.5K. I noticed you have a 4x4 but.....wow. BTW, I have been able to get the "thumsproinghum!!" sound to happen a little more regularly now. Still havent had time to crawl under the truck yet.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 AM

tell me about it... although i have 40k on my truck... i never really heard the sound till about 20k. Thats the exact sound... it used to happen to me over a tall speed bump, straight on hit around 10 mph. entering my driveway at a 45* angle with the pass front hitting in the dip of the entrance... and when driving over ruts in a field, etc. I knew something was up... but I didnt think about the sway bar bushings... the replacements are on order, and should be here today or tom. After they are installed I will relay my findings, hopefully to assist you in curing your truck of the "thong"
Old 03-20-2006, 02:52 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 159 Likes on 123 Posts
Don't know if this is connected, but just recently my truck has started to make a strange sound from the front end. I can only hear it when I drive over particularly rough cobblestone roads. It is a deepish, hollow sort of rattling sound. It's not very loud and I can't hear it when driving next to a wall with the windows down. Never thought of the springs until it was mentioned on this thread, but suppose it could be a spring kid of noise. In a few days will climb under, jack it up if necessary and check everything.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Don't know if this is connected, but just recently my truck has started to make a strange sound from the front end. I can only hear it when I drive over particularly rough cobblestone roads. It is a deepish, hollow sort of rattling sound. It's not very loud and I can't hear it when driving next to a wall with the windows down. Never thought of the springs until it was mentioned on this thread, but suppose it could be a spring kid of noise. In a few days will climb under, jack it up if necessary and check everything.
That noise you hear is the Tequilla bottle rattling in your glove compartment.

Quick Reply: Strange intermittent noise from front end