3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

straight pipe nervana

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No bending required on mine but I am thinking of hanging a chunck of metal off the middle -w-a braket. I have seen this referred to as a resonator. I suppose it is kind of a tuning fork that removes vibration/resonation. Personally I cannot say there is any performance diference,
Old 02-16-2004, 10:19 PM

I know i have posted this on like 3 different sections of this forum but here goes again...

...... AAHH HAHAHHA I couldnt be happier with my 4" straight pipe. Removed the muffler today and ran 4" pipe from just below the turbo all the way back (dont have the ability to bend it (too large)) Sounds throaty and not Raspy. Nice even tone at idle and when cruising it DOES NOT drone in the cab. Wife even said she liked the improved sound and noticed an increased throttle response (shes awsome btw). Turbo spoolup is quicker, or at least seems to be and it sounds GREAT at WOT. wouldnt have it any other way ... LOVE IT
Old 02-17-2004, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight pipe = Sweeeettt Sounds

But does it also bring HP/Torque?

I currently own a VW TDI (until me Dodge Ram arrives) and with these little buggers, you have to be careful with pipe size and backpressure. I screwed around with the exhaust trying different downpipes, mufflers, no muffler etc. and found that too much 'open' exhaust hurt its torque numbers and moved the curve into higher RPM's.

I don't dispute the sound of an open exhaust - they sound incredible!!! But is doing this helping or hurting performance on a 5.9L HO? Who's got some STATS?
Old 02-17-2004, 09:20 PM

All of the high performance diesels (drag racers and truck pullers) have the biggest exhaust they can find and don't have a muffler. Does your car have turbo? If not, then exhaust size might not matter so much. The reasoning behind having a bigger exhaust is to make your exhaust gas blow out from the turbo easier, thereby making the turbo spin faster, thereby making it easier for your engine to burn more fuel, thereby making more torque.

A second reason for larger exhaust is to decrease its temperature. If you modify an engine to produce more torque w/o getting a larger exhaust you could get too much backpressure which will increase the temp at the turbo which could lead to a turbo meltdown!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:58 AM

Did anyone ever buy the kit from Geno's??? It look pretty complete and preformed.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:56 PM

for 107$ (with s/h) it aughta be
Old 02-18-2004, 02:53 PM

That's alot of money for a piece of bent strait pipe! I like geno's and all but man I think theres lots of muffler shops that would do it for more than half that.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:15 PM

So I can purchase a piece of 4" straight pipe, no bends. Hack off the muffler and clamp it into place and all will be good! Proper sized on both ends?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:19 PM

Muffler shop man had to flair the end of the new 4" pipe alittle so he could get a good weld. popped that thing up there welded it on cost me $40 bucks for him to do it. $22 for a 5' joint of 4" exhaust pipe from a big truck shop. around $65 for the whole thing. If you get a MUFF. shop to do it don't forget to ask them for your big ol' garbage can back. Just for the future or sell it urself.

Just my .02 cents

Sittenbull
Old 02-18-2004, 10:05 PM

MAJOR DRONE

When I had mine virtually straight piped the drone on the highway was close to unbearable. It was cool rodding around town but intolerable on road trips.

Vaughn
Old 02-19-2004, 06:45 AM

Thats just what I DIDN'T want ot hear! I straight piped my old Dodge 360 gasser and it killed me with Drone on Highway and Towing. I'll go DEAF if this one does that also. Thanks Vaughn.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:21 PM

where are you at in wv sawboy ... if your close enough i'll take you for a ride
Old 02-20-2004, 12:27 AM

I always wished I could rig up a system with a lever on the dash where I could set it to "straightpipe" when I wanted loud and "muffled" for highway trips. If there was a way to squeeze another pipe past the muffler I'd be doing it!

Vaughn
Old 02-20-2004, 01:26 AM

I don't think the cummins makes much (any) more noise going down the road with a strait pipe then with a muffler (in the cab), with the windows up and the radio on you would never know, you could open the slider and put the windows down when getting up to speed if you wanted to hear it. We strait piped a friends truck and it had a bit of resination with the strait on the highway, but when we went to a true 4in. strait pipe (downpipe + exhaust) it lost the resination and seemed to be quiter in the cab on the road, but sounded much better and ran a tad cooler, just my $0.02 go for the strait, when you want to hear it you can and when you don't you don't have to, it's a win-win situtation
Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 AM

I didn't want to do entire system.... just muffler. But I know from past expierence that the gasser was way to loud when towing a load, it killed my ears and droned at highway speeds real bad too. 2broke2smoke were near Keyser WV. Right on Rt 50. 1/2 way between Romney & Keyser. Thanks for the offer!

Quick Reply: straight pipe nervana