3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

stock airbox improved mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
I don't know. I'm waiting for someone else to do all of the research and then just tell me what to do.

In the meantime, the combination of my modified air box and homemade torque tube seem to be getting the job done.
Yah, let me know when you guys figure it out, so I can get off my couch and install a filter without using my brain. Thinking hurts on Mondays .
Old 10-17-2005, 02:03 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Did Hoss's mod the other day, bought a new "factory" air filter, and filled up the truck. So far the over head display is reading 17.5 MPG in the city. It usually reads 15 MPG so I am pretty happy with the results so far. I have a little more then 100 miles on this tank so we will see by the next time I fill up. By the way, the over head display on my truck has been very accurate so even if it only turns out to be 1 MPG gain I'm happy for a "free" mod (well except for that "special" payment I had to give Hoss )

Britt

Old 10-17-2005, 02:43 PM

So, does anyone that's gone the BHAF route have a 'virgin' airbox they'd like to get rid of? I'd like to have one airbox to drill, and one to keep in case it has to go to the dealer for anything..... If someone has one, please PM me.

Thanks !!!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't imagine that modifying the air box would cause any warranty problems for you (unless you're dumb enough to drill holes in the top of the box instead of the bottom).
Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 PM

Smile 2.3 mpg increase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drilled mine out yesterday and am getting 2.3 mpg more on the overhead! I figure whether the overheads accurate or not that's a good deal!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I did the mod, and I can't tell any differance at the moment. Of course I have 3 SUV's on my trailer right now. Hopefully when I drop those in Califoria I will be able to tell a differance.

BTW, for grin's(read's I'm ****) I glued the fiberglass window screen on the bottom. The box look's like it was made that way.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Hoss
I can't imagine that modifying the air box would cause any warranty problems for you (unless you're dumb enough to drill holes in the top of the box instead of the bottom).
Hoss, I hear ya, but with the way my luck goes sometimes, I'd probably end up with the one dealer that would raise a stink about it....

Yeah - I could see how a dealer might be kinda justified if there were a bunch of holes drilled in the TOP of the airbox :-) I wonder how long it'd take for THAT engine to get dusted...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM

No milage increase, still the same about 15.5 . A little more tubo whine but no change.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:41 PM

WOW , I can't beleive the differences in the results on this same basic mod. From 2mpg increases to no milage increase at all, More turbo whistle, to no whistle increase, Much noticable throttle response, and tires chirping, to no power increase at all??

It boggles my mind all these variances in the same basic mod. I was looking to get a little better throttle response, and maybe more whistle by doing the swiss cheese mod. or the Home Depot PVC elbow thing.

Oh well, I'll let you's know what happens when I do it. Hey, Maybe a freak thing can happen and I'll get 5lbs more boost, a 7 mpg fuel increase, and my monthly payments drop!! You never know!!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM

If the fender is the problem,,how about mounting a scoop on it ??

HOUTEX... .........
Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
WOW , I can't beleive the differences in the results on this same basic mod. From 2mpg increases to no milage increase at all, More turbo whistle, to no whistle increase, Much noticable throttle response, and tires chirping, to no power increase at all??

It boggles my mind all these variances in the same basic mod. I was looking to get a little better throttle response, and maybe more whistle by doing the swiss cheese mod. or the Home Depot PVC elbow thing.

Oh well, I'll let you's know what happens when I do it. Hey, Maybe a freak thing can happen and I'll get 5lbs more boost, a 7 mpg fuel increase, and my monthly payments drop!! You never know!!
Swiss cheesing the air box won't really change the sound of the turbo. If you want that then you need to remove the silencer ring and replace the intake tubing.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:13 PM

I believe most of these gains in mpg are just the placebo effect. I don't think DC would be dumb enough to leave 2 mpg on the table ,in lieu of a small modification to the air-box. I can understand the tone -ring mods and crankshaft sensors,there is a technical explanation for how they improve mileage.The choke point in the air-intake system is the filter element not the airbox,unless I'm missing something.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by hammajamma
I believe most of these gains in mpg are just the placebo effect. I don't think DC would be dumb enough to leave 2 mpg on the table ,in lieu of a small modification to the air-box. I can understand the tone -ring mods and crankshaft sensors,there is a technical explanation for how they improve mileage.The choke point in the air-intake system is the filter element not the airbox,unless I'm missing something.
I disagree with the placebo theory since my mileage increase was noticable as well as an immediate result of my airbox modification.

As far as DC leaving 2mpg on the table - ALL the manufacturers leave a lot on the table all the time. If they give you everything they have developed on a new model year and it takes them two or three more years do develope advancements, they have nothing new to show the public for the following model year. They will find a new technology - fuel consumption savings, power gains, hadling improvements - whatever. Then they will apply about 50% of that new found technology to the next model year so they have room to improve the following model year without any new development. It happens all the time with technology. You think the best and fastest home computers are on the market today? Not a chance. The current computer technology won't be available to the public for at least a year or two. If you do enough searching and reading ( and of course believe what you read based on the source ) you will find considerable information out there that says auto manufacturers currently have the technology to produce a vehicle that handles and accelerates like a race car and get the fuel mileage of a honda civic. The other wrench in the works is the price. If they were to produce such a vehicle it would likely be priced too high for the average consumer. Again, an example of what the public believes versus reality, in the fact that a vehicle needs to cost $30,000. Numbers are skewed in the favor of the manufacturer. You think that invoice price is really what the dealer paid for your CTD Ram. They can sell you that truck for several thousand below invoice and still make $$$. But guess what, they con't have to because the public believes different.

Alright, I stopped to take a breath. Sorry for the rant. It just ticks me off that major corporations are allowed to stick it to us. Diesel in my neck of the woods just broke $3.50/gal today. BS - that's all it is my friends - BS.
Where's a **** Yugo when you need one?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:09 PM

Omaharam: I would still like a technical explanation as to how holes in the air box can increase air flow thru the filter element?? I'm all for more mpg,considering the price of diesel,but I'm not big on black magic, I suppose possibly if the holes did force more air thru the filter element ,that maybe you would get a leaner
charge to the cylinder and maybe gain some mpg,well anyway no one has claimed 20 extra Hp. to the rear wheels.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:19 PM

Well the simple theory would be that if the airbox is restricting the air flow then opening it up allows the turbo to suck in the air it needs easier. The question is, is the stock airbox restricting the air flow? Probably at least some. How much and what affect that would have in releaving it would require extensive testing with equipment most of us dont have accesss to.

I agree in principal though that the main restriction on our intake systems is probably the filter itself.

Quick Reply: stock airbox improved mpg