3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

stock airbox improved mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Berak
I'm currently in the process of building a box / heat shield for a standard BHAF. I find it interesting that people are opening their stock air boxes implying that the box itself is too restrictive, not the filter. So the consensus is that the oem fender opening cannot provide enough air? That does not seem logical to me. Is the box really starving for air or is it the filter?
Opening up the air box definitely allows more air to the turbo. The proof is in my filter minder.

But, if you want to compare the stock filter to your standard BHAF that most people use, it has been well documented on this site that the standard BHAF does not flow enough air for the HO engines (I believe I recall that it was said that the stock filter is actually LESS restrictive than the BHAF filter). That's the main reason I haven't spent the money to get a BHAF.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is stock. With a new air filter I can pull the filter minder 1/2 down by pushing it to the floor. Is this standard?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dynocon
My truck is stock. With a new air filter I can pull the filter minder 1/2 down by pushing it to the floor. Is this standard?
It must be, my 03 never pulled the filter minder down at all. my 05 pulled it down the first drive i took with a new filter...
Old 10-13-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Opening up the air box definitely allows more air to the turbo. The proof is in my filter minder.

But, if you want to compare the stock filter to your standard BHAF that most people use, it has been well documented on this site that the standard BHAF does not flow enough air for the HO engines (I believe I recall that it was said that the stock filter is actually LESS restrictive than the BHAF filter). That's the main reason I haven't spent the money to get a BHAF.
Hoss, I have been reading this site for years and I don't recall and WELL documented evidence that leads to that conclusion. The only way the stock filter could be anywhere near as CFM "friendly" as a BHAF would be if it filtered WAY less. Have you looked at a BHAF. There is more than twice as much surface area. It's just not possible.

The stock filter flows around 200 - 300 CFM if I remember. The BHAF's typicaly flow at least twice that.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:07 AM

i too have never seen that documented.. and they only real power loss documentation i have seen with the bhaf filter vs oiled filters was on a 2nd gen making over 500hp. they lost like 7hp with the bhaf filter vs an oiled filter... 7 hp isn't much for better filtered air that is easier to maintain [toss it out and install new vs wash/dry/reoil]
Old 10-13-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dynocon
That shows how restrictive the box is. With my edge juice/attitude I could pull the filter minder completely closed. Since I opened the box up and installed a $13 paper filter from O'Reilys, I can hammer it on level five and it doesn't move the filter minder at all. I'm not stating an opinion (yet ) if the paper filter flows enough or not, but there is definitely a much larger restriction problem with the box than with the filter. I'm going to attempt a hairbrained experiment this weekend with the air intake. If it works, I'll share. If not, I don't look like an idiot first.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:34 AM

I think Hoss is referring to AK Ram's contribution in the BHAF SP Diesel thread. I just posted in there as well to bring it back to the top of Accessories. His assertions and numbers do not make sense to me so perhaps we can continue a discussion there.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Bad Filters

On my truck since new would pull the filter minder down to 1/4 or 1/2 depending on how hard I drove it, I put a Wix filter in and it has yet to pull down, I think the oem filters with the pre-filter material is the cause of restriction, however I plan on riddiling the air box with holes or going to a BHAF.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 PM

Hoss, I have been reading this site for years and I don't recall and WELL documented evidence that leads to that conclusion. The only way the stock filter could be anywhere near as CFM "friendly" as a BHAF would be if it filtered WAY less. Have you looked at a BHAF. There is more than twice as much surface area. It's just not possible.

The stock filter flows around 200 - 300 CFM if I remember. The BHAF's typicaly flow at least twice that.
Read THIS thread. It starts off talking about AFE filters and then gets into some very detailed discussions about BHAF filters. It's a long read, but a good read.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Here's a quote from AK RAM in another thread about BHAF filters. He may not be the ultimate authority on this, but he knows more about it than I do.

"The stock filter flows 452 CFM @ 4.66 H20 restriction. The B105006 BHAF flows 450 CFM @ 6" H2O restriction. Yes, even the standard BHAF will flow less air at the same amount of restriction as the stock filter....."

"Moral of the story, the stock filter flows really well. It is the airbox that presents the most restriction. Drill a few 2" holes in the bottom of the airbox so it is not having to suck all of its air through the fender and you will get more air than this BHAF will give you."

"For the room left in a standard truck (without twins), the Donaldson G110119 will do you proud. It is a Radial Seal unit already protected from the elements and has the following flow specs:

Airflow @ 6" H2O: 882
Airflow @ 8" H2O: 1176
Airflow @ 10" H2O: 1470"
Old 10-13-2005, 04:57 PM

Yes I posted in that thread as well. Simply put, I think AK Ram's conclusions are incorrect. The numbers are saying one thing and it seems to me he reaches an altogether different conclusion. For example:

"The stock filter flows 452 CFM @ 4.66 H20 restriction. The B105006 BHAF flows 450 CFM @ 6" H2O restriction. Yes, even the standard BHAF will flow less air at the same amount of restriction as the stock filter....."
Uh, What? How does 4.66" H2O restriction = 6" H2O restriction? His numbers show to me that the BHAF flows equivalant CFM at a higher restriction. This means at the same restriction it would flow more, and in fact if you look at the normalized numbers it shows that it flows 50% more air. When BHAF has trapped enough dirt to present a 6" restriction, it will be flowing as much air as the stock filter when it is new.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:16 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Hoss
That's exactly what I did minus the screen. I've never had anything get into my air box.

Thanks for the good idea Hoss. Just did that to mine today. Looking for whatever improvement I can get (small as it may be). While doing this mod it also reminded me that I need to change my air filter.

It's amazing how dirty that it gets in 7000 miles

Britt

Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Yes I posted in that thread as well. Simply put, I think AK Ram's conclusions are incorrect. The numbers are saying one thing and it seems to me he reaches an altogether different conclusion. For example:

Uh, What? How does 4.66" H2O restriction = 6" H2O restriction? His numbers show to me that the BHAF flows equivalant CFM at a higher restriction. This means at the same restriction it would flow more, and in fact if you look at the normalized numbers it shows that it flows 50% more air. When BHAF has trapped enough dirt to present a 6" restriction, it will be flowing as much air as the stock filter when it is new.
I can't really comment on whether you're right or wrong because I don't really understand what the manufacturer is talking about when he claims X inches H20 Restriction.

It appears to me (from what I've seen on this site) that the HIGHER the H20 Restriction the MORE air that is flowed. Evidence of that is seen in the numbers AK RAM provided for the Radial Seal unit I quoted above (where higher H20 leads to more air flow). I don't understand how more H20 restriction could lead to more air flow, but I don't understand what they mean when they're talking about H20 restriction.

IF that is the case, then the stock filter flows better than the BHAF.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by t-7 firefighter
Thanks for the good idea Hoss. Just did that to mine today. Looking for whatever improvement I can get (small as it may be). While doing this mod it also reminded me that I need to change my air filter.

It's amazing how dirty that it gets in 7000 miles

Britt

Wasn't really my idea, but you're welcome.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:28 AM

well, looking at the wix website, they list their 42790 bhaf as flowing 680cfm [no restriction listed though] and that is identical to the donaldson [which is identical to the napa 2790]

Quick Reply: stock airbox improved mpg