3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

spare tire flopping around

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spare tire flopping around

I've been hearing a clanking out the back of the truck the last couple weeks..figured it was just some of the junk in the bed ratting around. I was washing the truck today and looked under the back end and found the spare tire loose and flopping around.

OK, then I pull out the jack rods and try to turn the cable lift only to find it won't do anything. I check the owners manual and it's instructions are **** poor IMO. What end do you stick inside the tube? One of the small square ends or the blade end that fits the jack too?

I ask this because looking into the tube with a flashlight, it looks to me like a 5 pointed star with flats instead of points....kinda similar to a torx only with 5 points. Seeing this, this tells me neither the 4 corner square end, or the blade end will engage this drive. Does this thing have some sort of lock mechanism that needs to go indie to engage this drive pattern? Kinda reminds me a little of a McGuard wheel lock, only deep inside the tube right at the cable mechanism.

You know, I'm quite mechanically inclined. I've built many stock & race engines, done frame-off restorations, can Mig & tig weld, fabricate, anything mechanical related to powered vehicles, but can't operate a friggin spare tire winch .
Old 04-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a section of the wrench that fits the end of the 'tire jack'; the one that fits is the one that won't slip when turning. Two sections work on mine, the lug nut wrench works as the 'T', turn until it clicks two or three times. It helps to bring it up slowly, and to center it before tightening.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did try the blade/jack end and it would not engage the jack winch either. Might just have to take this thing to the stinking dealer and see if there's a part missing inside that tube or something.

EDIT: I tried it again and it may be that it's engaging the drive mechanism, but when the handle is turned, nothing happens...no up, no down...you also don't feel any resistance turning which leads me to think that it's not engaging properly.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:26 PM

Did you buy your truck new or used? If used, it's possible a previous owner installed a spare tire lock. The MOPAR lock replaces the tube assembly with one that has a MCGuard type lock mechanism on it.

It would help us to answer questions if you'd fill out your signature with your truck info.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:36 PM

It seems to me that I gave all the needed info about the situation to help posters here to help with my situation.

Does the Dodge spare tire lock have the lock mechanism way down inside the tube at the cable/winch, or is it towards the end of the tube?

Yes, I bought the truck used...it's a 2003 that I bought last spring with 7000 miles on the odometer...now has 22k miles on it.

I'll try to take a minute to fill out the sig profile.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:49 PM

How's that sig look now babie
Old 04-17-2005, 07:35 PM

Looks fine!!!

The lock mechanism is way down at the inside end of the tube attached to the crank. When the lock is installed, you have to drop the spare, then change out the section that is attached to the actual spare winch. The key is located on the end of the piece you stick down inside the attached tube. If you do have a lock and not the key, perhaps the original owner might have it. Or it might be in the truck somewhere. I keep mine in the space under the fold flat floor. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Guess what I found and guess where I found it .

I've had my daughters seats in the back seat since I purchased the truck...never once had the fold flat storage compartments opened up to look inside.

Sure enough, there was the extension with the lock.

Thanks a bunch...you get your gold start for the day!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:12 PM

Todd, glad to help out!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
10secBU

I was really laughing over your post. I had just heard (two days ago) something banging under my truck - - I thought it was maybe a broken exhaust pipe hanger. Guess what I found? You are right. So, guess what I did? Yep, you are right again. I studied that stupid manual, then I put those tubes together one way, then another, then canned the whole thing and got a wrench and pulled the spare back up. I was more enthrawled with the clever packaging of the jack assembly than how it worked. I did finally figure it out and kicked myself in the posterior for not getting it right the first time. Cute.

Bob
Old 04-18-2005, 09:34 PM

I've had it happen also. My question is Why does it happen? Is that stupid little cable stretching? If so, can we all expect to lose our expensive spare tire some day?

I'd really hate that as I have five of the factory aluminum wheels that are powder coated flame red. A one of a kind set. PUlled into Texas Dodge the other day to pick up some atf+4 and a filter. All the salesmen were really checking out my wheels.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:37 PM

you know I was experiencing the same thing!!! everytime I would come to a stop I would hear a clunk in back. After rolling under it for an hour or so admiring the "not so shiny side" I couldn't find anything loose either but when I went to roll out I grabbed the spare tire to help pull myself out and what do you know the sparre tire swung forward and "clunked". I grabbed a long straight screwdriver and a wrench to fit and tightened it up. I have never even looked at the jack and handle assembly yet, Maybe I should so I can figure it out on my own time instead of having to do it on the side of the road!! I just figured the loose spare was from when I had the gooseeck hitch installed maybe they didn't crank it tight enough but now that I see others with the same thing it would make sense that the cable is stretching a little.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 10secBu
How's that sig look now babie
Hmmm.... looks wrong, actually. You couldn't get the snow plow prep with the QC/LB 2500 in 03. Believe me, I tried. Too much weight on the front axle or something like that. Might want to check that out.

I figure when the warranty on mine's run out, I'll add a plow since I'm convinced it'll take it just fine and all the "extras" that came with the plow prep already come standard on the CTD anyway, I'll be fine.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by joel
Hmmm.... looks wrong, actually. You couldn't get the snow plow prep with the QC/LB 2500 in 03. Believe me, I tried. Too much weight on the front axle or something like that. Might want to check that out.

I figure when the warranty on mine's run out, I'll add a plow since I'm convinced it'll take it just fine and all the "extras" that came with the plow prep already come standard on the CTD anyway, I'll be fine.
Well, mine must be a rare one as it's printed right on the window sticker that came with the truck when I bought it. This is a late 2003 with a September date on the engine I believe...would have to verify that though. It also has the 48RE which I understand was also a late 2003 change from the 47RE of the early 2003's.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Banned

Well hell.... if they could do it late in the year, why the heck couldn't they do it for the earlier year models?? Sheesh.

Quick Reply: spare tire flopping around