3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Spare Key??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Home Depot spare key will start my truck if I start it like a gas motor (don't wait for the "wait to start" light to go out). I usually turn the engine over for a few revolutions after an oil change, and out of habit, I wait for the light to go out. Well, I was a little distracted and just turned the key all the way and it started fine. So much for anti-theft.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 AM

Either way, it's a good idea to have a spare key that will get you into your truck.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:14 AM

I recently bought two transponder keys for $32, new, off of ebay. They don't have the fob built in, but I don't like having to carry around a key that's big enough to use as a step stool anyway. They have the chip in them and, after you program them following the instructions in the truck's owners manual, they start the truck just like the factory key. When they arrived I simply took them and a factory key to a local locksmith to have them cut...I didn't trust the high school kids at the hardware stores around here not to screw it up. I'll bet if you did an ebay search for 'dodge transponder key' you'd find a couple of loacksmiths on ebay that could get them to you muy pronto.

Side note: The programming is easy, but just be sure you have both of the factory keys with you when you start and read the instructions carefully a time or two before you start.

In edit: I would imagine you could get a valet key (fancy name for a key that will only open the door) made at walmart or any hardware store for just a couple bucks. I had the dealer throw in 2 valet keys at no charge before we left the lot just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by RIPOIL; 10-10-2006 at 08:18 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 10-10-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Blast Chamber
The 2006 trucks have the unlock keyfob integrated into the key, so I don't think that the "grey key vs black key" scenario applies.
I believe you are correct, in '06 all the keys are chipped and are black
Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Man, kick me in the !!!!!! Glad I have an 04!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Will an old key fob(without key built in) from an older truck work to unlock my truck if I reprogram it?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 PM

I also wanted a key to stash just to open the door incase I lost my set. Went to Home Depot and had a generic key made-read no fob or chip, just a basic key. Went home to check it out and guess what...not only did it open the door but it also started the truck!!! So much for the anti-theft.

FYI, this is on an '06 Laramie Mega.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:36 PM

Well that ain't good!! Was your regular key near the ign. switch?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by earleb1
Well that ain't good!! Was your regular key near the ign. switch?
Yeah, make sure you leave the other keys in the house before you try. If it was in your pocket it was probably close enough to allow the truck to start.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by coparam4x4
Went to Home Depot today to get a spare key cut. They said the couldn't do it I had to go to dealer!! Is this true we cant even get a generic key cut for our trucks. Really dont want to go to dealer cuz I know just to get a key cut they will probablly charge 1 hour labor and parts All I want to do is put a hid-a-key on my truck.
Go to Wal-mart. They can cut a key that will open the doors only. I did this and told them I just wanted a key to put in my pocket to open the door. He said it may not work for that and if it didn't to bring it back and they would refund. It opens the door and will start the truck but the truck will shut off after a few seconds cuz of the chip it needs. But it works for what I wanted.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM

I think I read in my owner's manual that a key without the security feature will start the truck but it will only run for a few seconds or minutes and then the truck will shut down and not start. I also had a key cut at the hardware store to unlock the doors. Works great.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:03 PM

On my 06, I had to use up one of those "gold plated" keys for the remote start feature on the alarm. Now I am down to one key! off to Wal Mart tomorrow to make a door only key!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

Well they cut my key and it unlocks the door but I still can't use it for what I wanted to..I wanted to be able to lock all the doors and leave the truck running. Problem is....when I park the truck, all the doors unlock and therefore just locking the driver's side with the cut key leaves the other 3 doors unlocked. In addition, if I try to lock the doors using the automatic door locks while the driver side is open, they will not lock. So does anyone know if an older key fob (without the key) will work on an 06?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 PM

two words for ya dude....

REMOTE START!

Mine will run up to 20 mins with NO KEY!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:27 PM

My original key was not near the ignition when my truck started with the Home Depot key. It was in the truck (in my pocket). Again, if I wait for the "wait-to-start" light to cycle, truck wont start. But treat it like a gas motor and it does. Of course I only did this one time! Maybe I'll try it again for my next oil change.

Quick Reply: Spare Key??