3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Should she stay or should she go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here's the resolution to date. The #3 injector tested out at 87% and the rest were in the 90s. The prv was leaking and while it was unknown if the fca was bad, the rail pressure was fluctuating either because of the prv or the fca. The result was an idle that fluctuated and of course loped in high idle. The running theory is the prv leaking was causing the fca to hunt to maintain rail pressure but the leak was small enough that it didn't show up during drive because supply was able to keep up with demand through the accelerator. I ended up replacing the fuel rail because it really is cheaper to replace the rail than the prv because you need to clean the rail as well. I replaced the fca because it seemed like cheap insurance and if the ultimate cause was dirt/contamination in the fuel system, flushing/cleaning the fca isn't a reliable repair. I also replaced the injectors - I feel they should have lasted longer! I also installed a second stage filtration between the cp3 and the oem fuel filter. I ultimately went with the GDP MK2 since I only have requirements for stock performance. So now I have much improved filtration on the vehicle, but I am disappointed that I had to take these matters into my own hands. The filtration issue should not be exclusively on me as the customer to solve as I will explain.

I tried to get chrysler to support the repair under a goodwill warranty claim. I am just 5 months over the 7 yr warranty but 8k miles under the cummins limit. They denied my request due to what they claim was contamination in the fuel system. I don't feel there really was contamination in the system beyond what made it through the oem recommended fuel filter which I serviced on a regular interval that is in keeping or better than the oem requirement for 15,000 miles or 12 months. I know folks on here will preach filtration which I get, but I also feel that the oem should own their end. I confronted chrysler and the service manager with this fact by politely drawing their attention to the evolution of filtration requirements in the 5.9 platform from 2004.5-20013. The fact the chrysler has moved the platform requirement from 10 micron to 7, 5 (2 stage!), and ultimately 3 microns (2013) is admission of the fact that filtration is a known problem in this platform. The issue is not the contamination in the fuel but the fact that chrysler sold and marketed a faulty product which was unable to counter the existing/known quality limitations in the fuel market. There is no page in the manual that says only buy fuel from certain brands or fuel stations otherwise risk contamination nor should it. While chrysler has the right to market a crappy product, they do not have the right to commit fraud upon the customer by suggesting to them that they fuel the vehicle with diesel but then walk away from any problems with the contamination excuse. This is fraud, representing something for which it is not, and chrysler represented this platform as a diesel vehicle, required that it be fueled with diesel, and then serviced according to a prescribed schedule with supplies that they made available in the marketplace. This is clearly not a diesel platform, this is a platform that must be run on "super filtered diesel" for which there is no product in existence in the marketplace. And to demonstrate the stupidity of chrysler and the service manager, they suggest that changing the filter on a more frequent interval would help. How frequent you may ask? I asked and the answer was "more frequent." So they suggest a more frequent service interval than the manual but are unable to state a mileage frequency. This expert advice is useless because at its limits one is always changing the fuel filter and never driving the truck! Further, changing a filter that is inadequate more frequently would actually expose the fuel system to more dirt not less because of the physical limits of the filter and the way filters work!

Sorry for the rant. I love my truck. I also resent it because I don't know where I stand with respect to its reliability. This may well be my last chrysler platform. People ask me about the reliability of my truck and I always tell them the cummins is great but you have to watch out for the stuff chrysler bolted on. I wonder what cummins thinks about the way chrysler trades on their reputation? I'm certain they could get a better platform partner. Dear chrysler, I hope you are listening, because you clearly weren't listening to me through your customer service representatives or dealership.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I empathize w/ you. I love my 07/5.9 truck. This is the 1st Chrysler product I've owned, and I bought it for the Cummins(as a lot of the members have). I bought it because of Cummins excellent cold start capabilities (clearly superior to glow plug style engines). I think it is imperative to run an secondary 2m fuel filtration system to protect the cp and injectors. I've read a lot about our trucks on this forum and others, and spent $ upgrading various weak links in the suspension/trans/engine/exhaust, yet my truck is still basically stock. It's funny that most guys here have to rebuild/repair their front ends by the time they hit 100K, yet my buddy's F250 4x4 went 220K w/o a hitch. I love my truck, but I'm not impressed w/ it's short comings. I really love the fact that you can't put it in 4L unless you're rolling at 3 mph on level ground, or shut it down before engaging. Let's not talk about the front headlights, a/c blend door, back-up dinger, etc. Mine's a better truck since learning from this forum and it's members, and correcting this truck's weak links. Also, this is not my first Lt.Duty diesel truck. I say hang on to it, and spend some $ on simple 48RE upgrades. The 4th gens have a whole host of other issues w/ the EGR/Exhaust, and lower gas mileage....although they are a more refined truck. Good Luck.