3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

scratches in bedside

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scratches in bedside

So I went into the city last night for a party and had to park my truck in a somewhat small space. After coming out I notice that someone, had to have been a large SUV or truck, scraped the back part of my bedside.

Some of them are down to pretty much bare metal. Guess my question to you guys is, do you have any idea how much this is gonna run me at a bodyshop? Im thinkin they're gonna have to repaint pretty much everything from the rearwheel back.

Any estimates/guesses you guys could give me would be great as I need to know how much Im gonna need, got alot of big expenses to pay for lately..........really didnt need this....
Old 10-20-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't turn it in to your insurance. You'll probably get cancelled.

Just get a few estimates and tell them its out of your pocket.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:11 PM

yea, definately not planning on going the insurance route. Just wondering if anyone w/ any bodyshop experience might give me a hint at prices.

I plan on getting a few estimates, but ive got quite a few other expenses at the moment as well.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:56 PM

one other question, Im gonna have to replace the taillight too and was wondering if the lights from the half-tons are the same as the ones in the heavy-dutys?

Alot cheaper to get one of ebay than the dealer.....
Old 10-21-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Geico266
Don't turn it in to your insurance. You'll probably get cancelled.

Just get a few estimates and tell them its out of your pocket.
Call your insurance agent and talk to him about it. You shouldn't get cancelled or have your rates increased unless you are the type that is always turning in claims. I had a deer tear up the entire driver side of my car and my rates didn't increase a penny. The repair cost $3400.00. In a fifteen year span with Nationwide I turned in two claims, one for a broken windshield and the other for the deer hit.

I had an estimate on my truck to fix bad factory paint. $375.00 to paint the entire bedside. I have an over the rail Rhino liner and they wanted $325.00 to remove and have it reinstalled after painting the bedside. DC would not pay the part for the bedliner so I called the Rhino installer and he said he would work with me on the price but he didn't think he could match it very well. Decisions, decisions. Non matching paint or non matching bedliner? I just decided not to have it done and live with it.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned

Jonesey isnt your Rhino liner lifetime warranty still in tack? Just have DC fix the paint can "accidently" cut the rhino liner out. That bedliner cuts and peals so easily.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Jonesey
Call your insurance agent and talk to him about it. You shouldn't get cancelled or have your rates increased unless you are the type that is always turning in claims. I had a deer tear up the entire driver side of my car and my rates didn't increase a penny. The repair cost $3400.00. In a fifteen year span with Nationwide I turned in two claims, one for a broken windshield and the other for the deer hit.

I had an estimate on my truck to fix bad factory paint. $375.00 to paint the entire bedside. I have an over the rail Rhino liner and they wanted $325.00 to remove and have it reinstalled after painting the bedside. DC would not pay the part for the bedliner so I called the Rhino installer and he said he would work with me on the price but he didn't think he could match it very well. Decisions, decisions. Non matching paint or non matching bedliner? I just decided not to have it done and live with it.
Calling your insurance agent is a bad idea. Everytime you call and ask a question about a potential claim they add the information to a national data base called the CLUE report. This is a nation wide data base that keeps track of people for all of the insurance companies. Just calling your agent about a potential claim will in fact become part of your permenant record and will effect your rates. Mention Saturday night and they may assume you been drinking and raise your rates WITHOUT a claim, mention scratches in the paint and they assume a claim is coming. NEVER call your agent to discuss a potential claim. They are NOT on your side, and you are NOT in good hands.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by quantrill88
one other question, Im gonna have to replace the taillight too and was wondering if the lights from the half-tons are the same as the ones in the heavy-dutys?

Alot cheaper to get one of ebay than the dealer.....

they are the same...
Old 10-21-2004, 07:17 PM

It has been a few years, but the last truck I had fell pray to the same thing. Cost me 350 or 375 for bedside repaint. Can help on the tail light question.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the info guys.

As to the insurance, I think Im goin to leave them out of it. I dont have anything to hide as I wasnt drinking, just dont want to run the risk of increased rates.

370 or so isnt to bad I guess, Do yall think Im goin to have to completely repaint the whole bedside?

Again, thanks for all the replies, kinda helps put me at ease as its gonna be a few days before I can get to a bodyshop.

Thanks again
Jeff