3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Road hog hits my mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road hog hits my mirror

On my way to work this morning driving on my local country road I meet another truck, he --I guess decides he owns my half of the road and don't get over...I get into the grass on my side and we hit mirrors. My tow mirror isn't tore up too bad, it of course broke the glass, but the bezel is unhurt. The plastic cover on the arm has a crack in it about 6 to 8 inches long, every thing functions fine...What I would like to do is take the plastic cover off and epoxy the crack closed. I would only have to buy the glass and I'd be in good shape. the question is has anyone ever taken the plastic cover off the arm?
Attached Thumbnails Road hog hits my mirror-06-ctd-mirror-002.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 PM

Where did you leave his body???
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 PM

I suppose it would be wise for me NOT to divulge that information.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 AM

man that sucks!

Remember the "3S" Rule...Shoot, Shovel, Shutup!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Missouri06CTD
On my way to work this morning driving on my local country road I meet another truck, he --I guess decides he owns my half of the road and don't get over...I get into the grass on my side and we hit mirrors. My tow mirror isn't tore up too bad, it of course broke the glass, but the bezel is unhurt. The plastic cover on the arm has a crack in it about 6 to 8 inches long, every thing functions fine...What I would like to do is take the plastic cover off and epoxy the crack closed. I would only have to buy the glass and I'd be in good shape. the question is has anyone ever taken the plastic cover off the arm?
did the guy at least stop and see the damage he caused? Or is this coming out of your pocket?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 AM

I've driven some of the Mo back roads. He might have had his tires in the grass too when your mirrors hit.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah the guy stopped, the first thing he wanted to do was blame me...After NOT punching him and letting him calm down I sugested we exchange insurance info and be on our merry way (thinking we'll each be paying for our own stuff here) He claims he still wants me to pay for his mirror and he's called the police... I ask him if he was sure he wanted to handle it that way and he did...I'm sure he'll wish he had just shut up and got back in his truck and left. The police report will show 2 things... 1. I was in the grass ( you can see my tracks--there is none on his side) 2. the road is 16'10", my truck measured 7'4" ( my mirrors were NOT in tow mode--his was) and his truck measured 8'6" If you do the math here half the road is 8'5"--I was under he was over, that means he had the responsibility to pull over or stop according the to the law. Soooo my little friend may end up paying for both, because he wanted to be a jerk. The bottom line..if he'd have gotten over like I did this would not have happened. I've lived in this area and drove these narrow roads for 30+ years and have always owned a truck, never any issues, then this fella comes along(not from our area) and don't seem to know how to pull over... Sorry for the novel guys LOL.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate ppl like that, its happened to me before. Just let them dig their hole, you know what your doing and he doesn't. Let him learn on his own. PPL like them need more responsibility in their lives...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Ouch I would have been torq'd.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Things like that are not uncommon in rural areas. I live on a rural narrow road with 1 lane bridges. Most of the time people drive in the center of the road and I've had a few close calls topping a hill or going around a curve. So far I've been lucky and have not made contact but I sure have had a few not-so-nice words come out of my mouth.

Take him for everything you can since he is being an idiot about it. If the other guy had a better attitude I'd just as well leave things alone and take care of my truck myself. When the one that is in the wrong behaves badly I'm inclined to treat them the same way.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Yeah I've made up my mind if he file's and insurance claim and attempts to try to get me to pay for it I'm goin to hammer him; he'll be buying me a brand spanky new mirror (factory oem of course). I've pretty much already fixed my mirror and if he'll leave it alone I'll just forget it and go on. However if he continues to press it, it'll cost him. I have a feeling though he may have already thought better of pursing it, the fella at the glass shop told me today the guy came in yeasterday and ordered a mirror from him and paid for it upfront. We'll see...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 PM

good thing you kept cool and didnt get rowdy that never leads to anything good.

he can still file it to his insurance even if he bought the mirror out of pocket, he will be reimbursed for what he spent thats all. i hope the after he got on his way and seeing that even the cop said he was in the wrong he will contact you and pay you for the mirror..
Old 09-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by trksrfun
good thing you kept cool and didnt get rowdy that never leads to anything good.

he can still file it to his insurance even if he bought the mirror out of pocket, he will be reimbursed for what he spent thats all. i hope the after he got on his way and seeing that even the cop said he was in the wrong he will contact you and pay you for the mirror..
I won't hold my breath he'll contact me to pay for my mirror, don't see that happening--and that's fine...as long as he don't try get me to pay for his, like I said before if he does it'll cost him. I'll know in a couple of days which way he's goin to jump..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
WL.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mirror cost is $287, just bought one from being crowded out of my lane and into a bus mirror parked on the side of the road. Idiots
Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM

Unhappy

S,ame thing happenend to me about two weeks ago coming west on I80 out of Truckee. They're doing so much road work and the lanes are really tight.
Fortunately no real damage; traffic was only going about 20 mph - joys of crowded California highways.

Quick Reply: Road hog hits my mirror