3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Removed dash, now tach doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed dash, now tach doesn't work

I removed the dash this weekend to get to the HVAC box to remove it and replace the doors.

I put it all back together and everything seems OK except the tach doesn't work. It just sits at 0.

If I run a gauge self-check (Key off, push and hold the Odo reset, key on, etc) the Tach needle moves.

I get the following C-codes:
0B 00(BTSI shorted or open) which makes sense because the BTSI solenoid broke and I disconnected it.

23 39 Headlamp switch input circuit open. (This may be from when I was working on things and may have turned the ignition on when the headlight switch was disconnected.)

The truck runs and drives OK..just no tach.

This is a smaller issue, but also the backlight on the temp guage is pretty dim. The rest seem OK. I don't know if maybe the bulb just got jostled out while the panel was out or what. I don't know if the dim backlight and the lack of tach are related, but I thought I should mention it.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Bounce
everything seems OK except the tach doesn't work. It just sits at 0.

23 39 Headlamp switch input circuit open. (This may be from when I was working on things and may have turned the ignition on when the headlight switch was disconnected.)

This is a smaller issue, but also the backlight on the temp guage is pretty dim.

Any thoughts?
Before someone comes on here and tells you to start the engine first, oh, no, wait. . .

I've pulled my instrument panel out a few times so I know it is pretty tight. Reaching in to disconnect/connect the harnesses is a pain. Since you have 3 issues related to the panel (tach, HL Circuit, backlight) I'm sure you know you'll need to pull it again. When you do, inspect the connector pins looking for bent pin or anything unusual. Then, reseat the lightbulb and the plugs, reset the codes, see how that works.

If that doesn't get you going, you will need to do a closer inspection of the wires as they go into the harness's plug to see if one was actually pulled loose from the pin.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 10-31-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by FMB
Before someone comes on here and tells you to start the engine first, oh, no, wait. . .

I've pulled my instrument panel out a few times so I know it is pretty tight. Reaching in to disconnect/connect the harnesses is a pain. Since you have 3 issues related to the panel (tach, HL Circuit, backlight) I'm sure you know you'll need to pull it again. When you do, inspect the connector pins looking for bent pin or anything unusual. Then, reseat the lightbulb and the plugs, reset the codes, see how that works.

If that doesn't get you going, you will need to do a closer inspection of the wires as they go into the harness's plug to see if one was actually pulled loose from the pin.
Back to morning brew . . .
Thanks...I'll pull the cluster and check that stuff.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bounce
Thanks...I'll pull the cluster and check that stuff.
I went out this evening to work on it. Fired the truck up and the tach works. I haven't touched anything. I drove around some...works fine.

I swear...I love this engine, but I wish it wasn't wrapped in a Dodge.

I still get the C-code for BTSI, but that's expected since the BTSI Solenoid is on my workbench.

Thanks for the suggestions.