3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

relayes /regelotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
relayes /regelotors

howdy folkes farley new to this web site.looks like the place for me.eney way i have 2004 4/4 dodge cummings. noticed a while back when starting up. voltage gage reading may be 12 to 13 volts. with console lights on i noticed a flikering of the light blinking slightley every 5 to 10 seconds for may be 20 to30 seconds. then all is fine.now it apeares to be geting worse flickering bright to dim on consoul and dash board lights ma be 5 to 10 seconds.while doing this i hear a rely or regulator clicking on and off under the dash on pasanger side every time lights flicker. voltage may be 2 bars below 14volts then nedle moves up 2 bars a bove 14 volts.then all sems to be fine.eney clues? also what voltage should gage be reading . have meney questons will post later on thankes . sotex
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

What it sounds like to me the intake heater grid is cycling probably due to the cooler temps.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM

thankes makes since .i well listen for fuel heater cycling off next time i start it. did not relize that heater would cycling on and off till it warmed up thank you for info. so tex
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep bigjohns right, grid heaters cycling off and on.
Its not a fuel heater its an element (similar to that in a hair drier) that sits just under the intake horn and heats up the air charge. You wont hear it (maybe the relay) but you will see it on a volt gauge.