3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Recuriculation door

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recuriculation door

After experiencing the low air conditioning blower volume, I learned about the recuriculation door problem that will happen to all 2006 Rams. This can be repaired without removing the dash. After carefull study of the new part, reasonably priced at about $20.00, I took It apart removing the new door. This can be done with a zip tie to compress the plastic clip that holds the door in place. Be sure to note the position of the door for later. The next step is to remove the old door. To do this, remove the glove box and the amp. With this done you can easily remove the door motor, then remove the fan and reach up and remove the broken door. Using a socket the plastic pivot clip can be removed and then the door can be installed. Be careful to install the door and new moror in the same position that it was removed. This sounds easy, but be prepaired to learn some new words of your own invention and 2-4 hours depending on your patience level and dexterity. Mine was out of warrantee and the dealer said that this was an 8 hour job. There is always a short cut if you look long enough.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 AM

The problem with what you did is it will happen again............It is the housing design that is the problem,It is not that much more time to roll back the dash and replace the recirc housing.

Bob
Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hear this alot, so I checked with some techs I work with. Was your door broken on the shaft and not moving at all? The guys here do a simple test to see. Remove the glove box to accesss the recicr housing. If you can see the door, use light pressure on it and try to push it with your finger. If it is difficult to move, then it is probably okay, and the actuator has lost it's range memory. That can be fixed by pulling the IOD fuse under the hood for about two minutes. when re-installed it will allow the actuators to go through a recalibration test. That fixed mine w/o the 8 hour out of warranty repair they were threatening me with. Also learned that there is a build date split that this should only happen to, as not all 06's should have this problem. Hope this is some help.

Chris
Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

bob

why dont they do a recall. seems to me they know this is a problem, but if it happens after 3/36k then its going to hit you in the pocket book.

im at 28k on mine. is there anything else i should have fixed before my warranty runs out?

brett
Old 09-08-2007, 02:02 PM

Does this only happen to '06s? I sure thought I'd seen heater door problems posted for other MYs. Guess I'm concerned about it happening to my '04 (not '04.5).
Old 09-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
bob

why dont they do a recall. seems to me they know this is a problem, but if it happens after 3/36k then its going to hit you in the pocket book.

im at 28k on mine. is there anything else i should have fixed before my warranty runs out?

brett
Generally only safety concerns are dealt with in recalls...............

Bob
Old 09-08-2007, 11:02 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

It is in a manner of speaking a very-silent recall. An example would be that alot of 96-97 minivans started having issue with their clocksprings. Back in 97-98 these were still in warranty and replaced frequently at a list of around $100, if out of warranty. Right before the actual recall came out, the prices droppped down to about $15. If you price just a recirc door, it's around $20 by itself. However, you can buy an updated (read o.e. on later 06's) full recirc housing, including the, by itself $48 dollar electrical acuator, and new door for around $25. Of course the dash has to be pulled back to access this, but techs I know are doing many a week and in as little as an hour and a half. Seems like when Chrysler sees enough warranty claims on the same problem, they can choose to fix it with a midyear change on the line, or find a way to make it a little more feesible to the customer. Especially someone like myself that runs 40k miles a year. How long was that warranty good for?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just take out the broken recirc door and leave it out. works fine.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:28 PM
EDR

My recirculation door also broke and I removed it so the system would at least work until I was able to get to my dealer.

I agree that it does work, but cruising behind another diesel or a poorly running gasser without the recirculating air feature is not a lot of fun!

A second benefit to the recirculating air feature is that it improves your AC systems efficiency.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 PM

im curious to know the build date when the new housing was put in the 06s?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

I looked and all I could find was a note saying June of 06 rec'd the updated housing. Since they build model years through June, that makes sense. The factory would have tested these over June and July before installing them all into 07 models.

Chris
Old 09-09-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford

why dont they do a recall.
Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 AM

Seems I've got the recirc door problem now...

Is there a way to physically wire the recirc door shut (so no fresh air inlet)?

If the recirc door broke, could it fall into and rub on the blower fan?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:31 PM

Mine just went out and had it replaced under warr. 21K miles.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 PM

What is the cost of the repair if you are out of warranty? And cane this bedone yourself if you get the new housing?

Quick Reply: Recuriculation door