3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was waiting for the AB kit which I never got,I was told by Dan at Dodgeparts that it is a different vendor,same parts.Just more expensive.
I got the AE,I guess it was my lucky day...I'm gonna go play Powerball now

Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM

When I talked to my parts manager about purchasing the new kit and told him that the latest part number ended in AE, however there had been others with the part number ending in other letters and they were cheaper. At that time he told me that USUALLY when you see a new alpha letter it means that there is a new manufacture of that particular part and yes, you might see some sort of a price increase. Would like to know when Cooper and Sons started and stopped making those parts for Dodge. Also I guess we need more info about the recall. My parts guy couldn't find anything about it today--he's still checking. That picture looks just like my kit which is the AE. I can't see any difference just by looking at the photo.
Jay
Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I gotta laugh at those who ****** and moaned about having to pay the upgrade price, and raced to get it before it went up. Ok, in all seriousness, I'll look at mine in the morning to see if I can find any differences. That sucks.

If that bulletin ends up being right, then I'd think anyone who has the AA through AD would get it replaced, maybe even if you ordered and installed the recalled assembly yourself? Hmmm... come to think of it, if that's the case, then the laughs on us that waited and paid more.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradler
...new and apparently not improved, beefier but weaker, downgraded steering kits.
I believe these were designed to compliment the self-clogging VGT turbos.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM

I called the Chy. 800 number this morning and tried to speak to Sara in INDIA. She said the computers were down in Mich. and she had no information on the recall. The computers have been down for 2 days. I think she said to call back some other time.
Jay
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM

I called India and talked to "Paul", he was no help and wanted my VIN. I tried to explain the situation but it did no good. I stopped by my local Dodge dealer on the way home and they were no more helpful than Paul.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 PM

I don't know about the politics of this post so if it's out of line then the moderator can delete it. There is a good thread on this subject on TDR if you want the latest information people have. The thread is titled Recall on steering kit. It's in the 3rd Gen section. This is a safety issue and I don't really care what site has the information I just think people should be aware of the latest information.
Jay
Old 01-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you copy and paste the pertinent info from the TDR thread? I refuse to pay money for an internet forum, so I don't belong to TDR.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM

I'll try but you'll have to understand that I ain't no computer wizzard: ( These are a couple of the posts from TDR that may give you some more info. If you have any other questions you can PM me and I'll be glad to try to help. Notice in one of the posts it lists the affected part numbers however I still have not been able to confirm them for sure.

Go here ODI - Office of Defects Investigation and then plug this number 09E001000 into the search box.
Then you can click "print version" and print a copy for your Dealer so they can order parts.

2006 Dodge Ram Safety Recall

States the part numbers, I am printing that page before it goes away.
Maybe the guy in India should read this link.

It looks like the dealer will do the labor on the 03-07's based on that link, in fact they may have to in order to get the replacement tie rod end at no cost since this is a safety recall.

Quote:
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

Recalls - Search Results
1 Record(s) Displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Date : January 28, 2009 at 05:53 PM
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09E001000

Equipment Brand Name / Part No. or Model No.: Production Dates:
CHRYSLER / STEERING LINKAGE Information not Available
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
DODGE / RAM 2003-2008

Manufacturer: CHRYSLER LLC Mfr's Report Date: JAN 06, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09E001000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: STEERING:LINKAGES
Potential Number of Units Affected: 18000
Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 18,000 AFTERMARKET STEERING LINKAGES USED FOR SERVICE ON SOME MY 2003 THROUGH 2008 DODGE RAM HEAVY DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS. THE SUBJECT LINKAGES MAY EXPERIENCE DRAG LINK INNER TIE ROD TO PITMAN ARM BALL STUD FRACTURE, ALSO, THE STEERING LINKAGE DAMPER ATTACHING BRACKET MAY YEILD AND SHIFT ON THE LINKAGE. THE PART NUMBERS OF THE AFFECTED ASSEMBLIES IS 52122362AA THROUGH 52122362AD.
Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND THE RESTRICTED ABILITY TO TURN THE VEHICLE IN ONE DIRECTION INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STEERING LINKAGE DRAG LINK INNER TIE ROD END ASSEMBLY, AND INSPECT THE STEERING LINKAGE DAMPER BRACKET FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
CHRYSLER RECALL NO. H36. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------I have been spending some time on this issue and will share some of it..

The email addresses in the pdf I linked to returned a responce to contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
So I called and was in touch with a fella in India who could not help me, always referd back to the VIN # which we all know will not help. I explained the TSB that updates 03-07's with the new linkage but got nothing.

I contacted NHTSA back about my coversation in India. The person there is Pat Wallace who is interested in what is going on. Here is what she wrote back-

Quote:
We have been getting other complaints on this also. Our investigative
group will probably take a look at this. I'll let them know about the
problem you are having with the replacement parts.

Thank you for letting us know about this problem.

Pat Wallace
Recall Management Division
NHTSA/Enforcement/ODI, NVS-215
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., W46-425
Washington, DC 20590
202-366-5232 phone
202-366-7882 fax
Patricia.wallace@dot.gov

Everyone who has the updated steering kit should express their concern to Pat in a short email or ph call. The more who write in the better chance we have for finding out if we are at risk.

I have also called Powers and Sons LLC ~ Steering Linkage and Suspension who builds the linkage for Chrysler. Their number is 419-485-3151 ext 252 for the quality department.
So far all I have been able to do is leave a voice msg for a call back and will keep trying.

At this point all I want to find out is what part numbers are affected and the replacement parts and or kit needed to order.
The original parts kit carries a 1 year warranty.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Great, I have the part# that is recalled.
Maybe I'll just fab up my own custom steering instead...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 PM

Well, I just ordered the AE part number. I’m not thrilled about coughing up the dough, but I can’t drive around with recalled parts waiting for my drag-link/pitman arm ball stud to break sending me 6 feet under. I was trying to avoid death wobble by replacing the stock setup, now I’m trying to avoid death!

They’ll probably send them out free when I get mine, but no one can accuse me of not trying to stimulate the economy.

I need a beer
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM

Are these replacement parts the cure to the death wobble or is this a different matter? And if this does have to do with the DW why don't the nhtsa address the original problem.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure you can say it is a cure for DW, however some people(including me) that have had DW and have installed this new steering kit have not experienced DW since the kit was installed. If you have read the thousands of post regarding DW you have probably seen that many people have tried many things to cure the DW problem and what may work for one person may not work for another. I have not seen any common thread that is a so called "magic bullet" to cure DW. I think this is due to the fact that so many things or combination of things can cause DW. Good luck in your search. If you want to PM me I can tell you the things that I have tried to cure the problem I had.
Jay
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you guys seeing the part#? I was crawling around under there yesterday and could not find it. It's probably facing the wrong direction for me to see somewhere ...
Old 01-30-2009, 11:01 AM

I looked at the parts receipt that I got when I purchased my kit. I don't think there are any part numbers on the components, at least I didn't notice any.
Jay

Quick Reply: Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD