3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Radio intermittently not working?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I have had this happen 2x now, start the truck and the radio doesn't work. Power button or any others do nothing. Next time the truck starts it works fine.... this something that others have run into?

I haven't had the truck for that long so I am still pretty new to it and really hope I have not picked up someone else's electrical gremlin....

Thanks for any insight!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 AM

Stock radio?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 PM

if its stock been there had that problem got replaced warranty, must be short in some of them
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Mine did the same thing... All I did was unhook my battery cables for about 15 minutes. Hooked them back up and it is fine ever since. Something about the ECM /Radio control. The ECM controlls EVERYTHING on these trucks!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 PM

yup, stock radio but no warranty. Might be time to look for aftermarket?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 AM

mine just did the same thing. i had them replace it under warrenty. i had to take a picture with my camera to prove that it was doing it... no codes or anything in the BCM. it was super cold out. so maybe that did it. im not sure. but after i drive a bit, turn the truck back on it would work.....
Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 AM

Duc, that sounds like the same situations mine has been doing, but temp does not seem to matter... -10 works, -20 works, then 0 degrees does not work... it's only done it twice now, but it's odd.

I like the info saying it's the radio itself not some electrical gremlin running around...
Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 AM

Had the same problem. Dealer did an ecm reflash just for the radio. No more problems since.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The radio in my 99 started this. Then it went to cutting out while driving, then it started blasting wide open without notice. Then it crapped completely out. Replaced it with a walmart special. Then some idiot decided he needed it worse than I did. Broke into the back slider, busted the dash bezel and all the plastic around the mounts of the radio and cut a whole bunch of wires behind it trying to get it out.

probably did well beyond $500 in damage for a $39 radio
Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM

My radio is also working intermittently and has been. Recently the engine light was on and the dealer said that the error was some type of power code. They checked the batteries and said that both were bad. I had them rechecked at auto zone and they did check bad, they are holding too much voltage?!? On one forum it mentioned to replace the batteries with high CCA batteries and it will fix the intermitten radio problem. Since both of my batteries are bad I’m hoping that this is going to do the trick! Tonight, I’m going to get the group 65 Duramax Gold and see if it fixes the problem.
2006 3500 Mega Cab 5.9
Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 AM

please post back the results!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM

I went to auto zone last night and they retested the original batteries and they showed good this time, so we started the truck let it run for 1 minute then shut it off and retested, then one of the batteries showed bad. The alternator tested good also. I went ahead and replaced both batteries with the 65 Duramaxx Gold since they are both 4 years old and I live in Las Vegas. So far the radio has worked every time! I turned on and off the truck many times to try and make it not work and the radio has always turned on. It’s only been a ½ day, but so far I’m feeling that it fixed it!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 PM

my radio has been doing it for a year, only here and there. I just put new batteries in last week and it has not done it since but let's see in a couple more weeks.
Hope it fixes it because it sucks.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM

I'm having problems with my radio turning off after I start my truck now. I tried disconnecting the batteries for about 30 minutes but it wasn't even long enough to delete my radio presets. My truck is an all stock '06, CTD, Dually. How long do I need to leave the batteries disconnected to reset the ECM?

Thanks,
Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Mine is having an issue out of the CD player kicking the CD out and reading ERROR!!.
Only seems to happen when the truck is off, radio is on, and its really hot outside.
To test the temp. theory, I drove it about 6 hours round trip recently and it never acted up. The next day, windows down, door open, about 10,000 degrees here in TEXAS, low and behold, less than an hour, CD kicks out and radio read ERROR!!!..
Problem is, I have searched repeatedly for a nice looking replacement that either has the ***** to fill the sideways eyebrows where the ***** currently reside, but cannot find a suitable replacement. Most of the head units offered for my truck are standard DIN, which will look completely TARDED with the eyebrows in the wood grain trim!!.. Somebody needs to offer a replacement wood grain trim made for a single DIN unit.
I have also realized that due to my truck being an 06 model, the factory system does NOT have keyswitch power, so there is a seperate module that must be purchased to interface the aftermarket head unit.
It seems that the 06 models are very twitchy when it comes to modifying the electrical system. I think the 06 models were a transition year that had engineers leaning really heavy on the CAN-Bus system more than in years past.... so I am very skeptical to make big changes... Personally, I'm just gonna break down and buy an I-Pod...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio intermittently not working?