3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Problems with General 35" Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems with General 35" Tires?

Hey Guys,

I installed some 35x12.50 R17 General's on my '04 RAM that has H2 wheels and DRC Race (Kore) suspension kit. Specifically, this tire: General Tire

When I had the shop install them, I put one of the 12oz packages of Equal balancing powder in each of the tires. (Sorry for all the links, I want to make sure we're all on the same page here... lol

Anyhow, I did the same thing on my last set of tires which were the Toyo M/T and my ride was absolutely smooth until the day I took them off. Ever since I put the General's on, I've had a vibration. It seems to be at the right "frequency" to coincide with a tire vibration. It's pretty significant at speeds from about 67mph on up. With the last set, I could run it up to 100 with no vibration. No other work was done to the truck during the installation of these new tires.

For those of you running the General -- Have you had any this size that were anywhere close to 12 or more ounces out of balance from the factory? That's the only thing I can think of other than maybe somebody put two equal bags in one tire, and none in another. That would be my luck.

I'm open to suggestions, but I can't put the tires on a balancer to check them since they have the equal in them.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Patriot_RAM
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have any experience with the equal balancing powder.

I have the exact tire you have going on 12 thousand miles now. I did get a vibration after 9000 k but that was my fault I didn't rotate soon enough, shop rebalanced and rotated and they are as smooth as they were new. I absolutely love these tires. As a side note I have been pretty abusive to them and althought gravel has tore them up a little they are still wearing great! We had a major ice and snow storm last week up here in the NW, it was my first test of these tires in the snow. I was surprised to notice they are far superior then the two sets of BFG ATs I had, and I thought I couldn't get a better snow tire then a BFG tread. Hated those BFG's.... poor balance, squishey side walls, scary to tow heavy with those.... Any how, I digress... love my Generals!! Super awesome offroad and in the snow!