3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob C
...realized you mixed up your left and right lanes in your post.
Yesterday was a long day...I edited my post and hopefully got my lefts and rights back in order.

As to the original topic if the post. I wouldn't let them off the hook that easy. An electrical problem will be the toughest to diagnose. They actually need to work to find the problem instead of making phone calls and scratching body parts.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 AM

The only problem with taking it to another dealer is that there is not another one around.
Im going to continue to drive this truck, but since they didnt find a problem, it leads me to believe that it might happen again, and who knows when.
But what Im going to do is keep taking it in everytime it screws up (if it keeps up) and eventually, if they dont get it fixed, they can have it back (lemon law is definately on your side in this state).
Old 04-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Cool it guys. Arguing about truckers is not helping simadownow6988's problem with his truck.

I was trying to help,I was not blasting simadownow6988 with the problem, now as far as telling my thoughts on following to close nooooo , Then I told the one thing I had a problem with on my truck.I do hope his truck has no moor problems after the trip home to the last Dealer .

Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 PM

i had a aftermarket alarm with remote started added to my truck, and every once in awhile i couldnt use the regular ignition to start the truck... i eventually figured it out that whenever i had pulled down on the steering wheel i was able to start it... eventually even that stopped working... well i took some body pieces off to find out that their was a bad solder in the installation.... re soldered it and havent had a problem...... what i would suggest to you is go down a road with a slow speed limit (25) and loosen the steering column adjust and move it up and down and see if that causes your truck to cut out... if it does... something in the wiring in the column.... if not... well then you know as much as you do now
Old 04-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm sure having that truck so close behind you was unnerving, but don't forget, usually when someone slows down quickly on the highway, he uses his brakes, and therefore his brake lights come on to warn others behind him. You slowed because you stalled, so you probably didn't have any brake lights on. You were pretty lucky he saw you in time. I guess in that situation, the first thing to do is try to remember to hit the hazard lights.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:21 PM

Well guys, it happened again this evening.
I went to put my truck back into the garage. I started my truck, started backing up, and the truck dies. I started it back up, started fine, ran for a couple of minutes, and died again. Now it wont start at all. Just cranks and cranks. Smells like its flooded with diesel fuel. I will try to start it in the morning, and I will be taking it back to the dealer in the morning.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM

These truck have so many electronic components in them things I think things just go haywire in them sometimes...

I have an 05 and last year on several occasions I would be driving on the freeway and all the dash lights would come on all the factory gauges would drop to 0 and then do the full swing thing and back to normal (almost like when you first turn the key before you start it). and the door chime would start dinging... the engine would continue to run and the radio would stay on.. It happened about 3 times in 6 months and then never did it again..

Sometimes when I get in the truck and start it none of the ac fans will come one and all the power window and door lock switches are dead.. shut the truck off and restart all is fine..

My best guess is different communication errors between the computers.. restart (lie rebooting a computer) and all has been fine...

I know this probably doesn't help and I would be upset and concerned to drive the truck but after the little glitches I have once in a while I would be careful for awhile and then enjoy the truck.. It may have been just a fluke..

Gerry
Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 AM

I used to have the same problem with my 2004.5. You're right, this is very un-nerving & daqngerous. Engine would just die. Would start right up, but would have to fully cycle key. Was tempted to do this while moving but scared about steering getting locked up, so would just roll to a stop & restart. Thuck had about 5000 miles when this started. Took it into dodge several times and tehy never fixed it, but after a couple of months the problem went away. Wish I could be of more help.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

This is scary and makes it hard to have any confidence in your truck.

Between all the trucks that stick at WOT and all the ones that die on the highway, it seems like you're lucky if it never happens to you.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 PM

I took it back to the dealer today. Hopefully they will find something. I cannot afford to take off work all the time to take the truck in.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM

I just thought of something that might solve your problem. Do you have the key with the door locks on it? I think it is an anti theft deterent key. The computer chip in it needs power from the battery so that the truck will run. Replace the battery in the Key FOB and see if that helps. The truck may be getting a very weak signal from the chip and at times no signal at all. It will die after a few seconds if it doesn't see the chip.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by djbikeman
I just thought of something that might solve your problem. Do you have the key with the door locks on it? I think it is an anti theft deterent key. The computer chip in it needs power from the battery so that the truck will run. Replace the battery in the Key FOB and see if that helps. The truck may be getting a very weak signal from the chip and at times no signal at all. It will die after a few seconds if it doesn't see the chip.
Man, you should win the April DTR "Unique Troubleshooting Theory for Major Unsolved Problems Award" for that post. Seriously that's a really good idea to change batteries in the key FOB.

It's so good I hate to say this, but I'm 99% sure the chip in the key FOB does not require any power from the battery. I think the power for that system comes from the other module in the steering column. The reason I say this is because when the shop installed by alarm/remote start they used the chip out of my spare key, but gave me the key back along with the battery.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM

thats true. it dont rely on any power at all. It sences a code in the chip. I have put in many alarms with remote start on chrysler vehicles with sentry key. Good idea though. Thanks for trying to help me out.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:01 PM

if the sentry set-up is like some set-ups i've seen it uses a magnet to induce voltage into the key so that it can identify if the key is for that truck or not. and on top of that it's typically only needed for start-up... so if you really wanted you could use a spare key that would only open the doors to actually run the truck if you have a sentry key close enough to the igition switch upon start up...

torquefan, brake lights are supposed to be wired in such a way that they will work without a key, the same goes for hazard lights... the trucker should of seen his brakes.

sucks to hear the problem came back... but then again it's good to hear that it's a lot worse now so hopefully the dodge techs will have a bigger beacon towards the problem... i hope i don't have these problems when i do finally get a ctd mc
Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM

It only seems like a few of us has had similar problems, so maybe you will not have it with your new truck. The problem is getting worse, and Im getting more fumed about it. I just got off the phone with my dealer to check on my truck and they said they have driven it many times, and have not been able to duplicate the problem yet. I really dont get it.

Quick Reply: Problem With 06 Ctd Almost Took My Life!!!