3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Painted Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted Bumpers

I am planning on painting my front and rear bumpers to match the paint on my truck. I was thinking of sandblasting the chrome so the paint would stick to them. Will this work?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:30 PM

That would work. Also Spies Hecker makes a primer that will stick to chrome, just sand them with a DA and some 80 grit and go to town.A little less mess and set up/clean up time. Just a thought.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:20 PM

if that is what you want to do, then that is fine, but Ihate my painted bupers...

I wouldkill for some chrome ones to go on the front of mine....

It is a pain to get all the bug crap and road grime and tar from painted bumpers, when chrome will scrub clean after some Wesley's bleach white....
Old 11-01-2006, 04:47 PM

I wish you had an '06 because I sure trade you.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
if that is what you want to do, then that is fine, but Ihate my painted bupers...

I wouldkill for some chrome ones to go on the front of mine....

It is a pain to get all the bug crap and road grime and tar from painted bumpers, when chrome will scrub clean after some Wesley's bleach white....
Originally Posted by Loco.Breath
I wish you had an '06 because I sure trade you.

For real. Im sure you wouldnt have any problems finding someone to trade your painted stuff for their chrome if you dislike it that much.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shanajustin
That would work. Also Spies Hecker makes a primer that will stick to chrome, just sand them with a DA and some 80 grit and go to town.A little less mess and set up/clean up time. Just a thought.
do you have a link for that primer?

I still need to get my rear bumper done. I was just thinking of having it powder coated, may still just do that. This looks like it may be interesting though.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 PM

And all the scratches from rocks, sand, wood chips and anything else on the highway. I had a Jeep GC Limited with painted front end and it was horrible. Paint was knocked off everywhere.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:04 PM

I know about the rock chips, etc. My company truck, 2006 F-250 has the sport package, painted bumpers, grill, mirrors. It has 38,000 miles on it now and has a few chips on the front bumper. I just think the painted bumpers will look better on my truck. I plan on installing the matching '' Sport " grill also.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by nriver
do you have a link for that primer?

I still need to get my rear bumper done. I was just thinking of having it powder coated, may still just do that. This looks like it may be interesting though.
Powdercoat is stronger than paint, might help in the chipping dept, although spies hecker clears set up hard as nails as well. I'll have a solid answer for you tommorrow (later today I guess) by 10 AM on what primer it is.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:09 AM

well, i would trade my sport grill and bumper, but I am sure no one wants something with chips and crap in it. Plus I wouldn't do that to them....

I do not think you can powder coat the plastic shell that is the front bumper on a sport, but if you are reffering to powder coating the front steel bumper, that is a good idea...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:00 AM

i am just talking about the rear bumper to be poweder coated. On the front I have a Buckstop.

I have thought about a Buckstop for the rear, just did not want to drop the 600 for it. So paint or powder sounds good.

Painting it sounds even cheaper and I can just do it. So I looked at the spies hecker website, not much info there. Thinking you just need to go to a auto paint store and ger their stuff.

For the front grill of my truck I just picked up a ST grill cheap. Then just painted it with fusion paint. It matches good enough. Yep no powdercoatint on it.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:32 AM

i know a guy that had his bumper sprayed with line-x and it looked really good
Old 11-03-2006, 01:14 PM

Loco....
Spies hecker 4:1 red brown etching is the primer to use. Sand the chrome with 80 grit, spray the 4:1, two good coats with flash time, let it dry. Sand the peel out lightly with some 150, tack it off, then shoot a sealer coat. Let the sealer coat flash for 15 minutes, tack it off, then shoot the color, tack it off between coats, then clear it.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 PM

Ive been thinking about doing this as well where do you find the Spies hecker primer? Also what do you mean by tack it off?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldSmokey
Ive been thinking about doing this as well where do you find the Spies hecker primer? Also what do you mean by tack it off?

You should be able to find Spies in at least 1 Automotive paint supply house in Rapid city. Probably not so much in Sturgis. Tacking the piece off is just wiping down the piece you are painting with a special coated tack rag that helps pick up any dust that might be on it just before you spray product. Makes for the best possible finish. Especially if you are not shooting in a controlled environment such as a paint booth.

Quick Reply: Painted Bumpers