3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Only in black...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah... I think they call that chip guard...or something like that.

I got some work van's that have that on them...

Why don't all vehicle's come with stuff like that...

...Job security?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 PM

This is interesting and a load of mis information. I know that as an end user that line X can be painted to match any vehicle. It will also hold up very well.
I have an industrial use and have numerous plates of steel line X covered and painted, and they are driven over daily. The secret is cleaning the surface so the paint will adhere and to use the correct paint. (Certain Automotive)
Find a knowlegable Line X dealer and you will be happy. I have a local dealer that painted the back of his bed red to match the truck over 18 months ago and it looks like new. Get the right dealer and you will be happy !
Old 10-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bee
This is interesting and a load of mis information. I know that as an end user that line X can be painted to match any vehicle. It will also hold up very well.
I have an industrial use and have numerous plates of steel line X covered and painted, and they are driven over daily. The secret is cleaning the surface so the paint will adhere and to use the correct paint. (Certain Automotive)
Find a knowlegable Line X dealer and you will be happy. I have a local dealer that painted the back of his bed red to match the truck over 18 months ago and it looks like new. Get the right dealer and you will be happy !
By painting it do you mean after the Line-X has been sprayed...?

Or can the Line-X be sprayed as a color match...?

...and warrantied against fading, chipping, peeling...etc?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM

I been following this thread. I'm wanting to do the same thing to my truck except red. I'm worried about fading myself, but the guy assured me that his coating will not fade. Scorpion coatings is what he uses. Real good looking website. $350 for all the rockers is the price he quoted me, not too bad if he does a good job.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:02 AM

I've had rhyno lining done on several trucks, it fades terribly in a couple short years. My Titan had a linex type liner from the factory, also faded a lot in 2 years before I added a hard tonneau cover. My CTD has a linex type liner that came with it from the first owner. The stuff looks great on both the floor and the bed rails. I added a jackrabbit cover soon after I got the truck, so the cover rails have covered half of the rails while leaving the other half exposed in the AZ sun. I suppose I'll find out if it fades after I remove the rolling cover to add a shell.

I wouldn't think a color matched liner will ever look right compared to the paint it's on. When I do mine (later, when it needs it) I'll use a contrasting color like black or dark charcoal on my bright red truck. I'll probably get the wheels and bumpers powdercoated to match the liner color at that time.

Mitch
Old 10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone seen that BFG adds in the magazines a while back? They solid bright green, orange, etc. vehicles. Many had parts/areas lined in something and I would assume they were integral colored or painted over.

They looked bitchen. I would integral color the stuff and then throw paint over it before full cure. Should be no more worries then, would look sweet, and shouldn't cost all that much more than a repaint, just a few more for materials...
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM

These guys got me worrying about fading now...

Maybe black is the way too go...

No pictures to post?

Maybe a poll is in order...black or silver.......
Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 PM
"California Style"

As far as fading goes, you shouldn't have near as big a deal on the rockers vs. a bed, bumper, or other as they should not see near the amount of direct sunlight...

I say color the liner and paint to match. You can paint them black if you want to down the road... The liner paint combination should hold up pretty well.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Line-X Xtra is a special compound of Kevlar reinforced paint mixed with the Line-X before it is applied. Fading is also covered under the Line-X Xtra warranty.

From the Line-X Xtra website:

Xtra provides enhanced puncture and abrasion resistance, for a durable, custom, color-coded fit and finish. Fortified with DuPont Kevlar, Xtra provides unrivaled U/V stability and can be color-coded to manufacturer’s paint specifications! Or, if you prefer black, Xtra provides the same, long-lasting U/V stability for miles of maintenance-free protection for your truck. No matter how you use it, LINE-X Xtra with DuPont Kevlar, provides enhanced puncture and abrasion resistance, for a durable, custom, color-coded fit and finish.

Every LINE-X Spray-on Bedliner comes with the Industry’s FIRST Nationwide, Lifetime Warranty. That same protection applies to your new LINE-X Xtra Spray-on Composite Bedliner, with DuPont Kevlar. When applied to your new LINE-X Bedliner, Xtra molecularly bonds to the surface of LINE-X, creating a unique composite unlike any other product on the market today. The result - a custom, color-coded, factory installed look with superior U/V stability and durability.

LINE-X and XTRA offer serious protection for just about everything under the sun. From step bars to tool boxes, boat decks to trailers of all sorts, even running boards for classic cars - we’ve got you covered! Nothing beats the combination of LINE-X and Xtra for “Serious Protection. Killer Looks.” Got a special project that needs special attention? Stop by your local LINE-X franchise. We have the right solution for whatever your needs might be. With over 500 franchised locations in the U.S., chances are, we’re right around the corner.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Right on!

Now I gotta find someone who wants/can do it.......for me!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:51 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
Line-X Xtra is a special compound of Kevlar reinforced paint mixed with the Line-X before it is applied. Fading is also covered under the Line-X Xtra warranty.

From the Line-X Xtra website:
It would be interesting to see the warranty information about the fading. UV stabililized just means that the fading is prolonged, but it will fade still, just not as fast as without the stabilized formulation. I'm sure it has the best fade resistance of anything available, and I do know it is pricey, but that is expected.

I would be confident that the product would look very good in this application for the rockers though as UV isn't as bad on that area compared to a bed...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 PM

I worked for a Line-X dealer for 5 years. The colors that did the best in the sun were black and black. No matter what the warranty, color matched spray-in bed liners always fade.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Linex no fading at all.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-11-2008, 12:12 AM

Even if you color match, it still never looks perfect because one is smooth paint and the liner has texture to it, so the light reflects differently. Just get black and be done with it, no point in trying to make it something other than what it is.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:46 AM

I am aware that it is not going to look like it's not even there...

Just not sure if I'm ready to change the entire apperance of my truck like that yet

Quick Reply: Only in black...