3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New Truck Coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck Coming

Usually I keep my vehicles for a long time (8 - 10 years) but due to some recent changes I upgraded to a one ton. I wish I had bought a 3500 when I got my current truck but live and learn.

When I bought the 2500 we had a fairly light travel trailer. Since then we moved up to one with a gvwr of 11000 lbs and tongue weight of 1200 lbs. I also haul a quad deck with two quads loaded on it, lots of extra fuel for the quads, generator, extra fresh water and whatever else I could jam in the box. I probably had 3500 lbs. of payload in a 2090 lb. rated truck. I installed ride rite air bags and the truck handled the load Ok but as I said it is legally waaay overloaded.

So we made the move to a new Laramie 3500 dually for stabilty and payload capacity. I am certainly nervous about the change as my 2500 has been bullet proof. The new truck will have a 48RE and that will be a big change but my wife does not like driving the stick. I've followed many threads about the reliability of the 48RE and I hope all is well with that choice. My old truck got excellent fuel mileage and I expect somewhat less with the new one.

One area of particular concern is the new truck had some scratches where someone drug something over the fenders and box rail. The box rail scratches are of no concern as it will get a line-x over the rail sprayed in. The dealer felt the there may be a need to repaint the fender. The dealer is being very good about this and has no issues if I back out if the repair is not acceptable.

They gave me a very good deal on the truck so I am hoping all will go ahead as the availability of an 06 in this colour (brilliant black) and options is extremely rare. We shall see.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:20 PM

You will love the stabilty on the dually.

This is the EXACT reason I went for the dually myself.

I intend to haul my ATVs like you do and with the weight that high on the truck, the extra wheels outboard are a plus.

I will replace the OE shocks with something to minmize body roll too. These trucks have way too little shock to control the dually's unsprung weight.

Don't stress on the change.....as long as DC built the truck right, you made the right choice.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:40 PM

I sure hope so CC, what kind of shocks are you putting on your truck?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:38 PM

I'm thinking Pro Comp MX6's for adjustability or KYB MonoMax's for simplicity and durability.

Although guys here like them,I feel Bilstiens are too soft and overpriced for my use.

Who make the ATV rack on your truck?

I've been looking at a Monster Hauler for mine.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM

I made the rack. It since has been modified to load the quads from the rear and they sit side by side facing forward. Now that I am getting a long box I'll likley put it back to a side loader.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Here's something similar for ATV's

http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/atvmain.asp
Old 08-14-2006, 04:26 PM

Smoke, you did a nice job on that rack! I have the tools and the brains, but no desire or time.

I like that Diamond Back Hauler. A few bucks more than I was planning, but may be worth the money.

How do you think the bedrails would hold up supporting that cover and 2 sport ATV's?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:04 PM

sport ATV's are light so I suppose it wouldn't be a problem. I think a better solution if you don't want a slide in rack is to have box rails and have wheel racks that sit on or "over" the box rails. The racks then "lock" the truck bedrails together so they can't move or flex with weight on them. I have a friend that has this system and it works well.