3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New key price!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New key price!

I lost my spare key for my truck and went to the dealer to replace it. The cost of the new key is $125.00 ! You can bet I'll do a better job of keeping track of this one!!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Did they hit you up for labor to program it?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yikes! If my truck ever gets stolen I will be mad at myself for not getting the alarm and stuff. Otherwise, Im glad my keys only cost a few bucks.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sur5er
Did they hit you up for labor to program it?
Not sure yet. The key is on order and will be here Tuesday. If they do, I imagine that will be another $50-$75 on top of the cost of the key. Talk about an expensive lesson!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
When you've got your new key made,get some chipped blank keys off of e-bay and reprogam a couple more. The directions are in your owners manual. It takes two functioning keys to clone spares. I couldn't handle my giant key fob and just made some generic ones. I only use the fob one on vacations.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson
When you've got your new key made,get some chipped blank keys off of e-bay and reprogam a couple more. The directions are in your owners manual. It takes two functioning keys to clone spares. I couldn't handle my giant key fob and just made some generic ones. I only use the fob one on vacations.
Wow, thanks for the great tip! I never knew you could make additional spares! I'll definitely make a couple extras once I get the new one!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....I get really tired of people that come in with "e-bay" keys that don't program. Not all of them, but enough to find it frustrating.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
....I get really tired of people that come in with "e-bay" keys that don't program. Not all of them, but enough to find it frustrating.
Kinda like bringing your own hamburger to McDonalds and asking them to cook it for you! If you buy your own parts, be prepared to install them or have a pre-arrangement with the shop. In the last shop where I worked, we charged 150% of the current labor rate if you brought in your own parts...............and we would not warranty anything except the quality of our work. If we got it apart and it was the wrong part, it didn't work, or didn't fit, it was your problem. You got charged for dissassembly and reassembly.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:58 PM

I seen a sign in walmart the other day saying they have and cut chipped keys, didn't see a price though. May be worth looking in to?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Nobody said anything about taking it to you, or any where else to get be programed!!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by txpig
Nobody said anything about taking it to you, or any where else to get be programed!!
Ouch
Old 12-20-2010, 03:55 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yup, ouch. I am assuming that J BODY works in the business and was just trying to say that not all of those cheap ebay keys will work. And like
Originally Posted by Sur5er
Kinda like bringing your own hamburger to McDonalds and asking them to cook it for you! If you buy your own parts, be prepared to install them or have a pre-arrangement with the shop. In the last shop where I worked, we charged 150% of the current labor rate if you brought in your own parts...............and we would not warranty anything except the quality of our work. If we got it apart and it was the wrong part, it didn't work, or didn't fit, it was your problem. You got charged for dissassembly and reassembly.
said.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a 2007 Durango, Got 1 of those Ebay keys, Dealer tried 3 times to program it, No Go... Purchased 1 from them with programming $197.00
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Wow, that is crazy! Sounds like its pot luck getting good keys off of Ebay and its rip off getting them through the dealer. Are there different vendors on Ebay because it sounds like Danderson got lucky and got some good key blanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't got any extra chipped keys yet, but I did get some standard keys cut just in case I lock my keys in the truck. Local hardware store wouldn't cut them because of the chip in the attached keyfob thing. I pulled the plastic housing apart and the circuit board will come right out so they can cut them without damaging the circuit board.

Just thought I'd share that info for anyone who wants just a standard key to get in the door.

While I'm thinking about it, I think I'll get a couple extra chipped keys and get them programmed while I still have 2 remotes.

Quick Reply: New key price!