3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Never again a Dodge!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Never again a Dodge!

[profanity removed by admin - READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING AGAIN]

Ok..this is what happen. I am a first time ever Dodge owner & first time diesel owner. Got my new Dodge mid April has about 2000 miles on it now, been very happy with it until NOW! it’s an 04.5 D600, 3500, SRW, auto, 4.10’s. Never owned any truck other than a Chevy until now, heard all these great things about the Dodge Cummins engine so I take the plunge and try a diesel Dodge.

I take my first family trip with this new Dodge towing a 24 foot 02 travel trailer (GVRW 7200lbs) from Denver, CO (5300 feet elevation) to Lake McConaughy, NE (approx 215 miles) almost all straight and level, Lake McConaughy (3200 feet elevation). On the way to the lake Hwy-76 cruising at 73mph according to GPS, RPM @ 2300 with a 20mph tail wind I was getting 8.8 to the best of 9.1 MPG!!!! 228 miles from a full tank of fuel. With this little trailer! This is absolutely ridicules.

I have been getting 14 to 15mpg city/hwy driving @ 70mph

ON the way back to Denver, 7.4mpg to the best of 7.6mpg!!!!!!!!!!!! 214 miles from a full tank of fuel. All mileage hand cal, trip computer MPG very accurate.

My 99 Chevy half ton with 5.3 eng, a 6-inch lift kit 37” tires 4.56 gears & Detroit locker was getting 11gpg towing this trailer! I did not trade in this great Chevy truck for a Dodge getting 7+ mpg! WHAT HAVE I DONE! I feel sick now for trading in my Chevy. And it gets worse! Last week before I knew this, I ordered a new 5th wheel with a GVRW of 10,200 what’s it going to get! 3mpg? – I feel like I have been so had! can't sit down it hurts to bad!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:36 PM

I'm not sure if it'll affect your mileage,but owners manual states to not tow anything for the first 500 miles,and then when first towing,do not exceed 50 mph for the first 500 towing miles. Correct me if I'm wrong,here,guys, but that's what it says in my '03 manual. So maybe cruising at 73 mph while towing for the first time might not have been the best idea. At any rate,go to the dealer and have it checked out. I won't tell you how many chevies( more than 50) i had that were P.O.S.,and not one could hold a candle to the cummins. NOT ONE!But what do I know...this is only my second Dodge with the cummins(it only took me 50+ chevs to get me here!)
Old 05-31-2004, 11:43 PM

Hey Slider, chill a little bit! You have less than 3K miles on your truck, in my opinion your engine is still tight. I went thru the same thing with my 03 from Prestige Dodge in Longmont. Never could get above 15mpg solo and 8-9 towing 8K# 5ver, till about 10K miles. With 24K miles on it now it keeps getting better. We pull up and down the front range, from Wyoming to the Springs, from Frederick to Houston and avg. 14 (paper) all day long.I drive from Frederick to Denver everyday down I-25 and stay around 20 MPG, 24 if I buy the $2.00 a gallon premium at I-25 and HWY 52(good stuff!!) My 01 2500 gasser got 6 at best. Last trip to Houston we could go 400 miles from full to 1/4 tank. This is my first Diesel also and at first I thought i made a huge mistake, BIG INVESTMENT, but now I know I will never own another gasser again. Give it some time, work that engine, DO NOT baby the Cummins, Deisels are made to work so you should work them hard, during break in they should be worked hard periodically to seat properly. Go West on I-70 or go down to Canyon City, those are some good runs to break that baby in. And by the way, if you look around and talk to people who Hotshot,or are into RV transporting etc.. the majority use a Dodge truck because of the reliability and economy (fuel, maintenance etc) of the Cummins engine.

Chris from Frederick
Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 AM

Something is up. I pulled an 8,000 pound box trailer from Denver to Las Vegas via I-70 to I-15 and got 15 m.p.g. when my truck had fewer than 7K miles. That trip was far from level ground.

Wierd.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:15 AM

Thanks Chris, and sorry everyone for coming across a little strong, was just really upset with the towing MPG. That was my main excuse to get a Dodge diesel, much better MPG than my half ton Chevy and so far that’s not turning out not to be true. I did not say it, but I am looking forward to feedback from readers, so thank you. What I am afraid of is people telling me I am going to need 3-5 thousand dollars of aftermarket add-ons to make this new D600 get better mileage, I might spend 1000 but I would want to see an instance increase. I sure hope you are right that it will change with time because I am stuck with this thing for 5 years.

Also what can the dealer do? It runs fine just SUCKS diesel like no ones business.

Tim,
Broomfield, CO
Old 06-01-2004, 12:39 AM

I get 20 MPG and 515 miles out of a full tank of gas

But, I don't tow anything.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:56 AM

Regardless of whether or not it "runs fine" 7 mpg is less than half of what most get and means something is either WRONG or its needs to be broken in A LOT. Take it to the dealership you bought it from and tell them. Tell them exactly what you have told us (perhaps a little calmer...lol), and ask them to check it out. It could be an ecm thing or clogged fuel filter or who knows what. Quality fuel will help maintain good economy too in diesels you definitly want to avoid the mom and pop shops where fuel sits for long periods of time.

It should not be necessary to ad any add ons to get decent fuel economy on your rig. I too was first a chevrolet owner and a ford or 2 then in 98 switched to Dodge Trucks... NOW

17 TRUCKS and 6 YEARS later i wont own anything but a Dodge....

(actually 16 trucks and a Durango)
Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 AM

Most of the performance add-ons will decrease your mileage so beware....
Let the truck break in and at around 10-12000 miles be prepared for a miraculous increase in your mpg.....
Also, for the best mileage keep your rpms at around 2000. I would estimate that while towing at 73 mph you were turning about 24-2500 rpms. Your mileage will definitely go in the dumper. Next time keep it at 60-65 mph and you will see a huge increase in mileage. It take a little longer to get there but the difference in mileage is worth it.
These trucks will pull anything you want, as fast as you want, but you have to take it slow if you want good mileage.....
Old 06-01-2004, 05:19 AM
Banned

Wow sucks to be you. Hope you can sell it and get some money back. Glad I have a little ol 555 which gets me over 20 all the time. Too bad you didn't tune in here earlier you maybe could have seen some of the mileage issues with the 600's. I have never seen a mileage increase since I bought the truck. Actually the best fuel mileage I ever got was the first 10 or so tanks. Some towing, always loaded. Hope it works out for you. I suspect it won't.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:28 AM

I would be taking it back to the Dealer as suggested something isn't quite right, my mileage is definately better than that so I suspect mechanical/EcM related problems. I love my 600 and have absolutely no regrets and would make the same purchase again over the older 555 . By the way my little trailer weighs in at 5500 lbs and I was getting 12 mpg average...not great but a little better than yours even though mine weighs a tad less.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe there's a computer flash to correct the low fuel economy on the early 600's. Take it to the dealer and verify the computer flash.

MikeyB
Old 06-01-2004, 09:21 AM

I personally believe part of your milage is due to your 4.10's, the auto, and the speed your going with your 7,200 lbs (brick wall) behind you. Pushing the truck that hard and still getting 8 to 9 mpg isn't that bad. Especally with it NOT being broke in!

I find it VERY hard to believe your old gaser was getting 11mpg under the same circumstances...... Could it even pull it 73mph without a good down hill I know my old chevy gasser wouldn't have been able to...........
Old 06-01-2004, 10:00 AM

Slider, I feel you pain brother, I ran out to Nebraska this weekend too with my 7500# 5th wheel and a single jetski behind. On the way out (I-76) no wind @ 70~73 MPH I was getting 9~10 MPG. The way back was horrible. Strong head wind 55~58 MPH @ 7~8 MPG. I have 6K Miles on my truck now....
Old 06-01-2004, 11:44 AM

You most definately need to slow down. These trucks love to run around 1800rpm's. Mine would get 10-12.5 mpg all day long pulling my 21ft TT 6klbs(12ft tall barn door) behind it accross the US. Now I pull a 28" 5VR 11klbs(13ft tall barn door) I get 10.5-11.5mpg pulling it here in Oregon and Washington, all mountains.

Keep the speed down and use the Cruz, man Just set it and forget it. You only need to kick the OD off if it starts to hunt for gears or it starts to scream at you
You have the better gears for towing the heavy loads, but they will hurt you around town andr running empty. By the way check and adjust your tire pressure for the job at hand. It makes a big difference in fuel mileage also
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Speed kills the fuel mileage! Keep it at 65 MPH and watch the MPG climb! I ran mine this weekend with a 3500# Slide in camper and while I maintained 65 MPH, I got 12.5 MPG......at 70, it dropped drastically to 10.

Quick Reply: Never again a Dodge!