3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Need Opinions. Leather or Cloth Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Opinions. Leather or Cloth Seats?

I want to replace the seats in my 05. I have the basic manual adjust seats and I want to replace them with power adjust units. My question for you guys is what do you find more comfortable cloth or leather? Thanks for your opinions!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I've always preferred leather just because I like the look of it...But as far as comfort, cloth does a better job......Ben
Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM

seats

i have an '05 with the cloth seats and have never been disappointed with the material. i would think that in real hot weather the vinyl or leather might get uncomfortable. may be ordering an 2011 this coming week and will go with the cloth again.

david
socal
Old 05-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id go with the leather if it has the heated seats, but if it doesnt go with the cloth
Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Given a choice, I prefer cloth. But if you want heat in an OEM seat, leather is the only option.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM

leather is way easier to keep clean. imo the only way to go.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM

Leather is the only way to go in my opinion. Last longer, and easier to keep clean. Last two trucks I had got holes in the edge from dragging my butt over it getting out, don't have that problem with my leather seats. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 PM

I agree with a few here. I like the looks of the leather, and they djo clean easier, but I think the cloth are more durable. I've got a 96 caravan and the cloth seats look new. I've got a 01 stratus with leather and they are cracked and need to be replaced. My 05 truck has cloth. I think cloth is better, but leather looks better.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:14 AM

I like cloth just because your butt stays place. It won't burn you up when its hot out or freeze you when its cold.

However, Dodge cloth seats aren't known to be the best in the world. When I wear it out or tear something I'm going to go for Katzkin covers. I've only seen it once but I believe Katzkin's leather is much better than the factory leather.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 AM

I have one of each. I like the leather in mine and the wife likes the cloth in hers. Really just personal preference. Ed B
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have both... the cloth is a lot more comfortable, but the leather holds up better. The leather is not that great of quality, it is more like pleather (plastic/leather/fake), but I get dirty working a lot, and they clean up nice. My driver seat is starting to show some wear, but nothing compared to if I had a cloth.

I have seen a few members say that they like the catzskin (not sure if that's the right spelling), a little pricey, but worth it from what I have read.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
The leather is not that great of quality, it is more like pleather (plastic/leather/fake).
The only cowhide is the seating area...Everything else (backrest, armrests, bolsters) to my knowledge is manmade......Ben
Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
The only cowhide is the seating area...Everything else (backrest, armrests, bolsters) to my knowledge is manmade......Ben
That's what I was told by the upholstery shop on Friday as well.

I just swapped a set of two-tone leather seats from an 08 into my truck to replace the cloth seats. I really prefer leather for the most part. Summertime heat's the only time I regret it, but at 6500ft in Wyoming, I don't see real high temps for long. I like the feel of the leather and especially the heated aspect in the winter. One of the biggest things is they aren't covered in dog hair like my cloth ones always were.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the replys. After hearing your opinions and talking to a few of my buddys that have leather seats I think I'm gonna look for some cloth seats. Seems like the general consensus is that leather is easy to clean and cloth is more comfortable, I like comfort and since I steam clean my truck twice a year I'm not to worried about keeping them clean. I'm not too concerned with the heated seat feature either I'd just like to be able to adjust more than front to back and tilt and it would be nice to have adjustable lumbar support. Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:32 PM

If your existing seats are in good shape, all you really need is the seat tracks and switches for the power. I don't know exactly on the lumbar as I didn't swap it.

The leather seats I put in were manual and I swapped the power track from my old seat over to the new one. The seat frame has holes in it to mount the switch bracket. All you have to do is unscrew the 3 screws on the metal bracket that the switches mount to and cut a small rectangle in the cloth of the seat to mount the switches.

Just thought I'd let you know that in case you couldn't find the complete seats.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions. Leather or Cloth Seats?