3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Need info on reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Need info on reliability

you're absolutely right about the durability of the cummins and the many examples of people towing huge loads with them w/o problem (in fact I saw a backhoe being towed behind a cummins just the other day). One thing I find notable about the current light truck Diesel power race is that Ford and Chevy are pushing the very limits of durability (that is, the basic engine platform upon which these power improvements are made), and Cummins is not. No matter what HP number Ford and Chevy throw out as an acheivement, the Cummins engine has already been there in some other (non light truck) commercial application and the medium duty engine has just been dumbed down for use in a light truck.<br><br>also, note that while Ford may be able to publish a higher peak horsepower number today, the difference will have near zero practical impact to a real world towing experience. For most of us Cummins owners, knowing the durability of the engine is one of the satisfying parts of the towing and driving experience. you know that when you run at wide open throttle, the Cummins is still operating below its capacity and that you're not eating away at long term durability.<br><br>congratulations on your decision, and good luck on the price negotiations.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Need info on reliability

Just heard on the radio a base model 03 4 x 4 Q-cab, Cummins for $25,997. The economy around here is pretty bad ,so that might have to do something with the price. I think I'll go in and take a look. I was looking for a used Dodge but for that price. ??? ???<br><br>John