3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My impressions after disabling ABS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My impressions after disabling ABS

Well, after seeing a few threads about it, I decided to give it a whirl. I unplugged "ABS PUMP" fuse. Turned on the truck, no check engine light but the ABS light came on. Went for a drive, found a deserted street about a block long to test it out at. Went to about 30mph and put the brakepedal through the floor. It stopped FAST, but it also went sideways a bit. Went back up to 30mph and did some more testing pumping the pedal to maintain going straight. They feel good. I think some SS hoses would help the feel alot also. I'm not re-enabling ABS in the forseeable future.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 PM

That dosn't sound like too good of an idea.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:44 PM

That dosn't sound like too good of an idea.
Which part? The disabling of the ABS system? Or the SS hoses?

ABS has almost got me into an accident several times.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 PM

On the flip-side of the coin....

ABS has saved me more than once with the moronic drivers of Southern California.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:22 PM

ABS has almost got me into an accident several times.
How? Just currius as to how it was the abs's fault.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:41 PM

As hard as it is to believe, ABS does not seem to have reduced the number of automobile accidents where they were expected to be effective.

Information can be viewed here.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca/lvabs.htm
Old 12-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

ABS was never designed to shorten the stopping distance of a vehicle. It was only designed so that you could maintain control. The problem with that though is that most people tend to freeze up when they have to panic stop and aren't thinking about swerving or if they do swerve they over compensate and can end up flipping or hitting somebody else. I've been in a couple of situations where I've cussed ABS before. I've also been in a couple of situations where I've thanked god for it. It's a hit and miss system.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 PM

By letting the truck roll WAY TOO MUCH!!!

I have had ABS activate way too early and in bumper to bumper traffic when it is not needed.
I have also had it activate when going down slight hills when it did not need to activate. It just takes more pedal effort to stop a heavier vehicle going down hill, at the time the vehicle was at no risk of sliding or locking up.
With the extended rolling situations you have no brakes essentially exposing you to risk.

ABS should be an option or something that could be shut off.
But bureacrats run things so we have ABS to live with forever.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

I think one of our bigger problems is that there are so many saftey controls on vehicles these days (ABS, traction control, yaw control, roll over stability control, active handling, etc.) that people have become to lazy and dependent on these systems to save their rear ends and have forgotten how to actually drive a car and how to control it in panic situations.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:16 PM

I have found when driving in the country that on some roades that have loose gravel at the stop signes the ABS will let you go through the intersection . With out the ABS the truck will push the loose stone out of the way and stop faster . I have disconected every ABS I have ever had until this one and have alwayes thought it was for people that don't know how to drive . You will always stop faster with out it and the only advantage is a controlled stop . For me it has caused more close calles then it has ever prevented . It is still hooked up on my 4.5 , but do not no for how much longer . I wish there was a way to turn it off and on . I hate it with a trailor with weak brakes , just plain scary .
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Folks I know that race on gravel or dirt roads like Baja, disable the ABS.

Scotty
Old 12-12-2005, 04:36 PM

I got into a wreck 2 years ago. I was doing 55 down a city road but not very crowded at all. Some baffoon didnt look while pulling out right infront of me. I slamed on my brakes and all i heard was thud thud thud thud thud (really fast) ABS, i hit this guy at about 40mph and not one skid mark. Yes ABS is for controlled panic stops. but when you are on a headon collision course with someone your ONLY thought is to stop the vehicle. Not swerve out of the way. Being on a 2 lane road i would rather T-bone someone pulled out infront of me then swerve and possable sideswipe or go head to head with someone. If someone pulls out infront of you and you swerve to miss them and sideswipe someone else, its your fault...now if you slam on brakes and Tbone someone its their fault. Also ABS sucks for wet/icy roads, it activates way to easy!! I bet some of you northeners know what im talking about.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:47 PM

I also agree ABS is a joke. But instead of pulling the fuse and leaving the spot blank maybe you should put a blown fuse in there. If anything were to happen some scumbag lawyer might say you were at fault because you disabled your abs. Hey the fuse mighta blown in the accident. Not saying you should do that but you might think of doing that.

You will stop much faster and safer with threshold braking.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/Renderer.jhtml.88.html

read 'bout half way down the page
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM

Rammtuf, Very good point. ks
Old 12-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Tire Hater

I just moved the fuse to position2 (blank). Without ABS it definetly stops harder. The brakes actually _feel_ good at that position wether they're gripping or locked up. I had a very fast sportscar with the best brakes in the world (lancer evolution w/ 350whp) and disabled ABS on them too. That car would stand up when braking hard. All the nay-sayers need to go pull the fuse and go for a ride. If you don't like it, it takes all of 30 seconds to put it back in.

Quick Reply: My impressions after disabling ABS