3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Mega Cab Trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mega Cab Trucks...

Why did you buy one? Family? Looks? Looks good lifted?

Did you get the auto or the manual? Why? Do you like to shift? Do you feel that it is better for towing?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:51 PM

Bought it for the extra space in the cab. And I think it does look way better lifted. I got the manual because I didn't trust the 48RE. For towing, I think the manual is better, especially when linked with the Exhaust brake.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(1) I like the looks, style, and cab space.
(2) Auto, do not like shifting. Too-much work and hassle with stop-n-go traveling with a manual tranny.
(3) I like the auto because you do not have too worry about shifting and is fine for most hauling.

Never regretted getting an auto, works best for me.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM

For the family. The 04 QC was too cramped in the back for the kids. The mega is like a limo back there. Bought the six speed automatic because it is much smoother than the four speed auto and I didn't like the manual tranny after the test drive. I don't know which tranny is best for towing. The only think I haul around is the family.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 PM

I just wanted the biggest and baddest CTD made and the MG was it. The family loves it having 3 kids they enjoy the stadium size rear seat and the 18 month old loves to watch his cartoon on the DVD player.

Ordered the G56. Since all the cars I've ever owened were manual, whay change? I love the way the G56 shifts...very smooth and the gearing is perfect for a 37" tires. Go with the G56.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:56 PM

We bought shortly after the baby was born. My 2001 extended cab didn't have enough room in the back and the AC had gone out on it a second time. Instead of dropping another 1500.00 to fix it I decided to get a newer one. Love the room in the back. Wife didn't want a manual which turned out fine because she drives it to work now since my commute went from 60 miles a day to 120 miles a day.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 PM

I bought mine cause I was going to need a truck and I also needed room for 3 kids and all of the paraphenalia that goes along with them. I did all of my mods cause I wanted to make it fun too.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 AM

I had been needing to replace my old truck for some time. I looked at Dodge in 2005, quad cabs were available then, too cramped a space. When the MegaCabs came out it was all over except signing on the bottom line.

I love the roomy cab. I love the fold-down interior hauling ability. Towing or hauling with the 6' bed is just fine, you just have to get used to a short bed, really NO difference when all is said and done.

I'd buy another one tomorrow, don't miss an 8' bed and the limo-like interior is just more than one could as for in a truck. GREAT vehicle.

CD
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM

I needed a diesel for hauling the camper. Cummins was the only way to go.

Needed/wanted the extra room in the back for the 3 kids. Not so good for me, though, when I need to reach back and give one of'em a crack.

Didn't care about not having the 8ft bed.

Dodge trucks just look great, too.....no matter if you have extras on it or not (although it does help ).

Manual. I like not having to shift. Too much else to do with the texting, shaving, reading the paper..........etc......
Old 06-09-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got 2 boys and one is 6feet tall and still going. The club cab was getting tight. Plus, if you have ever sat in the back of a dodge club cab for more than an hour or two you'd by the MC too. I am 6"3" and did it once, those seats are missin somethin.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:49 PM

1) Three growing kids;
2) Trailer and three quads;
3) 68RFE is sweet;
4) Cummins is KING;
5) Looks Bada$$.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
I watch wind blow...

test drove a mega today, first time in one... well i fell in love. if they would have had a manual it would probably be in my driveway right now.

so i am looking for a 06 mega 2wd stick,, fuel mileage of the 5.9 mega about that same as my 03 ?

22ish hwy
15ish towing 5k everyday around town? (lanscaping trailer)
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i needed the extra room for the growing kids over my extended cab superduty. the cummins gets better mileage, the one and only gripe is the auto trans, just not as smooth as the torqueshift in the SD.
my truck looks ok, it is out of proportion, cab is to big for the bed.
i dont mind the short bed, if i need to haul anything large around i grab my 14ft landscape trailer, it has a ramp and is only around 20" off the ground.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM

I was looking at chebbys and ferds untill i saw the add for the MC. Fell in love with it and told the wife "we will be getting on some day", and we did. Two kids, one that will be over 6' in a matter a years. Went with the auto just for the ease, the 6' bed, well you get used to it. Best truck around.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 AM

It's nice being able to easily climb in and strap the kids in. Not so easy in a QC. Mine has all the options and is as close to a big SUV as I could get from Dodge. If they made a Ramcharger again that's what i would be driving but this is probably even better.
I've always been a long bed fan too but I just don't haul stuff around like I used to so the short bed is just fine for me at this point in my life....

Quick Reply: Mega Cab Trucks...