3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Looks like I might get a free Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just filled up yesterday in North Georgia for $1.45/gal been the same price for about 4 weeks!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:02 PM

What I don't understand is the price differences in different parts of the country. State taxes would account for some of the difference, but a dollar or more per gal.

It's a supply and demand thing... The oil companies supply it, so they can demand whatever the **** they want for it.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Time to get rid of all of my gas powered vehicles (except the corvette) and get a diesel something car. Maybe one of the VW diesels .
Old 05-13-2004, 03:26 PM

Unhappy Unfortunately Domestic Oil Companies don't control prices

We now import around 420,000,000 gallons per day of oil equivalent in the US. That’s about 70% of what we need to operate all our stuff. That means we are at the mercy of the foreign oil producers (not just OPEC) and the market manipulators. Most domestic oil companies are just along for the ride. (Although, if you have any crude reserves at all right now it’s a pretty good ride).

Environmental regulations have resulted in fewer refineries and tens of different fuel blends. Production shortages and pipeline logistics amplify the current crude prices. Crude alone is approaching $1.00 per gallon.

But it’s still a bargain. Oil companies will suck crude oil from thousands of feet below the ground, boil, clean it, blend additives to it, store it, and deliver it directly into your vehicle at $1.60 per gallon. Coca Cola takes water and adds sugar and sells it to us for $1.60 per liter.

Maybe this round of increases will lure some more of the gasser drivers over from the “dark side of The Force.”

How’s that for a rant?

Gordonville
Old 05-13-2004, 04:16 PM

Re: Unfortunately Domestic Oil Companies don't control prices

Originally posted by Gordonville
We now import around 420,000,000 gallons per day of oil equivalent in the US. That’s about 70% of what we need to operate all our stuff. That means we are at the mercy of the foreign oil producers (not just OPEC) and the market manipulators. Most domestic oil companies are just along for the ride. (Although, if you have any crude reserves at all right now it’s a pretty good ride).

Environmental regulations have resulted in fewer refineries and tens of different fuel blends. Production shortages and pipeline logistics amplify the current crude prices. Crude alone is approaching $1.00 per gallon.

But it’s still a bargain. Oil companies will suck crude oil from thousands of feet below the ground, boil, clean it, blend additives to it, store it, and deliver it directly into your vehicle at $1.60 per gallon. Coca Cola takes water and adds sugar and sells it to us for $1.60 per liter.

Maybe this round of increases will lure some more of the gasser drivers over from the “dark side of The Force.”

How’s that for a rant?

Gordonville
Not to take away from your rant , but if a barrel of oil is trading for $40.00 and a barrel has 55 gallons, how does that make unrefined crude cost $1.00/gallon? (or did you mean refined crude?) Also, the cost at the pump includes a fair bit of tax. Our governments (USA and Canada) rely on this tax revenue, regardless of the cost. Neither of our countries will be getting off foreign crude anytime soon.

In my personal opinion, alternative fuel vehicles (hydrogen, fuel cell technology, etc) won't take off until our governments can figure out how to make the change and still get the tax revenue. Our economies are still driven by manufacture, importation, refining and distribution of petroleum. And, don't forget the special interest groups. American (and Canadian) oil producers may only be along for the ride, but that ride is a wild one on the way up due to world events and the other issues you mentioned. And Big Oil in Texas (your President's home state) is a pretty powerful lobby (neck and neck with the pharmaceutical lobby - which makes you pay twice as much as we do for prescription drugs developed and manufactured by American corporations - go figure that one - and nothing changes no matter how many times the story hits 60 Minutes)!

Sorry for the replying rant.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:48 PM

You're right about the energy lobby

They are powerful, and it's going to take alot to turn the ship. Alternative fuels would radically change the function of the economy and it doesn't appear that anyone is ready to make that move yet.

As far as the $1.00/gallon crude thing goes: A barrel of crude is 42 gallons not 55 gallons like the drums we are familiar with. It's a unit of measurement that has been around for sometime. An extra 13 gallons would be welcomed, but you only get 42 with the purchase of a barrel.

The rant continues.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:51 PM

I'm sure a barrel is the same amount as a year previously. Canada trades off a longer patent right for a lower price, and thereby limits newer drugs. Also, lower pricing from this system limits R&D by Canada's own drug companies. Either way, not something that affects fuel prices.

I-75 and I-95 go through this state. Being the largest State East of the MS River, that would amount to a lot of trucking miles up and down the State. My point being, I don't accept supply and demand being a reason for the price of fuel variance. If "Big Oil", on the other hand, were gouging on prices it should be across the board.
Ed
Old 05-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Heavy Duty,

My wife's 5 - speed TDI does about 50 mpg in mixed driving.

If I keep my foot out of it, my M B diesel does about 31 mpg on the road at 78 mph.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:06 PM

Every time I buy a new diesel the price goes up past reg gas!

so for the good of the rest, I quit buying new, not to worry!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:13 PM

Re: Unfortunately Domestic Oil Companies don't control prices

Originally posted by Gordonville
Crude alone is approaching $1.00 per gallon.
The cost of pulling that crude out of the ground varies depending on what country is being exploited err I mean partnered with. Info from someone at chevron says 50 cents a barrel in Nigeria. During this persons last trip there, the group was held hostage at the airport untill a bribe was paid. A country... well, say we say, that's in political strife.

Dan
Old 05-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.
Just filled up in Boise today for $2.149. Most stations are posting around $2.229. This is about $0.15 more than regular unleaded here. Don't know why.....

100 Proof
Old 05-14-2004, 07:56 PM

$2.59 in Redondo Beach Cal. I love it, I can't wait till it goes up to $3.00.......Got up to $78.00 and the pump shut off, i guess max dollar amount on pump. Still had about a little less than a quarter tank to fill it up........In stop and go traffic it's great driving around and watching my mpg meter hover arounf 9 MPG.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:34 PM

I just filled up at the Flying J and paid $1.59 per gallon. Regular unleaded was $1.89 per gallon. At the local corner gas stations regular is up to $2.09 per gallon. I am really glad when people ask " Does that thing got a Hemi ?" I can say "Of Course Not!".
Jason
Old 05-15-2004, 05:00 PM

personally, I'd like to see a VW TDI hybrid! Imagine the mileage...have to get 60+ in town. I think I'd have to have one. And be smiling as I fill up once a month with bio-diesel
Old 05-16-2004, 10:47 AM

Speaking of which, my last tankful was B20 and paid around $1.65/gal. At least 20% of my fuel comes from American soil. Literally.

Quick Reply: Looks like I might get a free Cummins