3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Long Bed or Short Bed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Bed or Short Bed?

I am not sure what version I should get for the Quad Cab that I am buying. The short beds seem to be the most popular but the long bed seems to be better for hauling.

Any comments, suggestions?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck with that decision! This will start a thread war about long vs short beds .

Naturally, since I have one.......I say get the long bed.

It really just comes down to personal choice. Some things to ponder though. Long beds tend to ride better because of the longer wheel base. Short Beds are easier to park. Long beds haul more. Short beds are easier to park. Long beds look better (imo). Short beds are easier to park.

I just wouldn't want to shell out 35-40K plus for a big heavy duty diesel pick up truck and not have the utility of the long bed and 4 wheel drive.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 AM

I've had both in the past and they seemed to perform about equally as far as loading. Of course that depends entirely on what your use model is. I can only think of 1 load I carried on the LB that absolutely would not have been possible in the SB and that was 16' - 18' lumber for a deck I was building. But to be totally I honest, I shouldn't have been carrying that load in a pickup anyway. You can carry full sheets of plywood in the SB with the tailgate down.

I have a new LB dually on order. This was driven by the fact that I have absolutely positively no need for a Megacab. Nice, but with just my wife and I sitting hours on end towing the RV there ain't gonna be nobody sittin back there! So if I'm going to have a truck 1/2 miles long might as well get it with a LB box. Also keeps me from needing a sliding 5th wheel hitch.

If you haven't heard, SBs park better Also manuever better in parking lots if you also have a short wheel base. When I had my long bed with LWB I tried to find a place in the parking lot where I could back in and let the tail end hang over the curb. Keeps from getting the last 2 feet cut off by some jerk playing formula 1 through the parking lot. With the dually I will do the same thing but use 2 spaces
Old 04-29-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A short bed is like a vest. It doesn't cover eveything. I would have a hard time spending all that money and not getting the extra 1-1/2'. You get used to parking a long bed. If you think you might want a toolbox in the bed a short bed doesn't leave much room for anything else. I'm glad I've got a long bed. Just my .02. Paul
Old 04-29-2006, 05:35 AM
P.J
Banned

LONG!

Plywood = 8'
Sheetrock = 8'
2X4 = 8'

Problem is, the cabs are so big these days, add a long box on it and you have a limo.
Mine won't fit in my garage, and can be tight in some paring lots. Have yet to scuff a tire on a curb though.

Tough decision, but I know I'll never own a short bed.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends what you're using the truck for. Daily driver and a weekend warrior? For work? I would love to have a long bed but it wouldn't fit in the garage, but so far I don't regret having a short bed.

MikeyB
Old 04-29-2006, 08:35 AM

I use my SB as a daily driver, and park in a parking garage at work, pick-up the kids, hit the vid store, ATM machine, etc...so Monday through Friday I praise the the SB. Then, on weekends, I find myself looking for more room in the bed (going to the mountains w/gear, firewood, and the evil Home Depot). Of course the 5 days of praise outweigh the 2 day's of cursing!

That said I can see a mega in my future...however my wife does not. Anyway, it's jus personal preference. On the Dodge I like the looks better on the SB, Ford -the nod goes to the LB...Others the oposite.

Go with what your gut tells you, and don't listen to the masses. It's your truck and you will have to live with it, nobody else.

--D
Old 04-29-2006, 09:10 AM

LB vs SB

It's really like the rest have said use is the key in you're decision.

I have the short bed since I don't haul much and I do go off road on some twisty tight stuff to launch my drift boat so length makes it a little tougher to turn.

DT<*)))><
Old 04-29-2006, 02:46 PM

I've had both. I had a 2000 with a long bed b/c I ran a housepainting company and needed the room. My '05 is a short bed b/c being in the Army, it's just my daily driver and will eventually have toys to pull behind it. Anything that I will be bringing home from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, I can carry with the tailgate down. However, if you are going to install a toolbox, I would go with the long bed. There is very little in room in the SB's after a toolbox is sitting in there.

I think both look good when 'properly accessorized,' and driving issues come with any new vehicle... you just learn how to drive it.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:28 PM

TEXASCTD which one do you think is easier to park lol The long bed will not fit in alot of garages.My buddy has one the same year and color as mine and I think mine looks sporty compared to his IMO.With saying that my next one will probably be a LB just no mega cab.The SB needs to be about 4 or 5 in longer for me.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:55 PM

It really is all about you, you have to like it and your the only one that really knows your needs. This things got a CTD up front right? I got the long bed because I knew that within a couple hours of getting my new truck home it was going receive fuel tank/tool box combo which at that point basically made it a SB with the option to be a LB. I have had both short and long and would not do a SB for myself, the wife on the other hand has been eyeing up a red mega cab with a toneau cover on it which would be great for her (and fun for me).
Old 04-30-2006, 11:14 PM

I have a shorta and sorta wish I got a long. I would love to have a 100gal aux tank but I cant afford to have a 4ft bed, I haul to much junk. A longbed with a 100gal tank is the same bedspace as a shortbed.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
I have a shorta and sorta wish I got a long. I would love to have a 100gal aux tank but I cant afford to have a 4ft bed, I haul to much junk. A longbed with a 100gal tank is the same bedspace as a shortbed.

I have seen a few posts like this one where somebody with a short bed kinda wishes they got a long bed. But I don't recall ever seeing somebody with a long bed wishing they had gone with the short.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
I have seen a few posts like this one where somebody with a short bed kinda wishes they got a long bed. But I don't recall ever seeing somebody with a long bed wishing they had gone with the short.
TexasCTD hit the nail on the head. I have a short bed & REALLY wish that I got a long bed. I don't buy the ease of parking argument - these are BIG trucks that don't fit into compact car anyway! Short bed means a 20.5' truck instead of a 22' long truck. I know my next one will be a long bed!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had both...get the long

Quick Reply: Long Bed or Short Bed?