3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leather or Premium Cloth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather or Premium Cloth?

Getting ready to make my purchase and need to decide on leather or cloth interior. I've never owned a vehicle with leather so don't know much about comfort level, care and durability/longevity. I've had cloth in all my vehicles and it seems to hold up fine. I am a pretty big guy at 6'-0" and 260lbs. The foam on the edge of the drivers seat (left edge) seems to lose it sponginess after a while - probably due to my fat a$$ getting in and out.

What are your thought on the two choices?

I live in an area that gets hot (102 degrees regularly in the summer) and only about 40's in the winter. I have two kids who will ride in the truck at times.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:45 AM

I'm not at all impressed with the quality of the cloth in my SLT. Only 10k miles on the truck, but the seats are starting to look a little worn. I can also feel quite a difference in the firmness of the drivers seat vs. the front passenger seat. If I had to do it over again I'd go with leather.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:56 AM

If your sloppy, go with leather it's easier to clean.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:20 PM

I had the dealer agree to add aftermarket leather. It's nice because they offer you about 30 shades of leather. I just had to pick the truck up two days later. They have someone they use all the time so it's good work. I noticed the quality was better than market leather and they did the backs of the seats full leather as well. I think it will hold up better than cloth with sliding in and out of the truck and any mess just wipes up. I'm in OC and don't find hot seats are a problem, it's the cold ones that chap my hide.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:16 PM

I had an 02 with leather. MMmmmm did it smell good. IMHO I still prefer cloth. They both have their issues, but to me cloth is comfortable for the long haul. You might also consider Sheep skin seat covers WOW are they comfortable in the heat and cold. They also protect your stock seats very well. My $.02.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:53 PM

Used to have leather in another car. Looks good and last a long time if you take care of it. The whole cleaning and conditioning got old after awhile. I have cloth in my Ram and it has been great. Just vacuum to clean, have 31K and on signs of wear or loss of stiffness. I should mention it sits in the gargage until me and wife go on a road trip. Ether way you will love the truck!
Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM

The cloth in the ST is very tough stuff , I would not get the "Premium" ever again (had it in my 03),wears to easy and snags. Leather or Chicago cloth is the way to go ........BTW sheep skins are way to underrated , once you try them you'lle never go back!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With Leather, you can get the heated seats, which are nice since the Cummins takes a while to heat up.

Bummer factor is then the back seat is plastic fake leather...
Old 12-30-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll just say one thing. I am heavier than you and taller, I have the cloth seats and the cloth still looks good after 311,000 miles. The foam is breaking down, but that would happen on the leather also. On the long haul the cloth is more comfortable than leather Mexican Leather (plastic)
Old 12-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

30K on my premium seats, with numerous road trips that included 2 dogs and, lately, a cat. Besides a bunch of hair, the seats look great.

I don't think a few square feet of leather seating surface (read: under your butt) on the front seats only is worth $1500. I'll save my pennies and get some Katskinz eventually. That or SRT-10 seats!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get leather, you won't regret it. They wear better sliding in and out as much as I do. Also, if you find they are too hot or cold you can put on slip covers.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:28 PM

Had leather in my F-150 and have it now in my wife's Mustang. I find the cloth more comfortable and easier to keep clean. We both wear jeans a lot and the blue from the jeans rubs off on the leather.

Of course the black cloth in my CTD gathers all the lint it can find!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:18 PM

I'm even more confused than before!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by BAJA MAN
I'm even more confused than before!
This is not a confusing issue.
Have you ever owned leather?
If you did I don’t think you would buy it again.
It sounds nice and smells good "easier to clean" that’s debatable if you saw the seats on my 97 when I got it you would not believe they are the same. The cloth cleans up nicely. Save the $ get cloth and put on some nice Sheepskins you will not regret it and when/if it comes time to sell the truck the seats will look like new.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geico266
Also, if you find they are too hot or cold you can put on slip covers.
Why fork over the extra $$ for Leather if you're just going to cover them with cloth?

I'm perfectly happy with my cloth.
Test drove a Leather equipped one and they weren't bad, but this wasn't in the heat of summer.

phox

Quick Reply: Leather or Premium Cloth?