3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

"Lamp out"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Lamp out"

hello,

my dash says "lamp out" but i can not find what light is out. i have a camper shell on the back of my short bed and can not see the "cargo lamp" on the back of the cab, is it possible that if this light were out it would trigger the "lamp out" on my dash? would hate to pull the camper shell off just to see that the lamp is fine.

thanks,
david
socal
Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM

I highly doubt that it is the cargo lamp since your headlights are on more often than the cargo lamp.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 PM

Have you had someone push on the brakes while you walk around the truck to see if it's one of those bulbs? (FYI, the the bulbs in the taillight housing sockets have a high and low coil, if one coil goes out then it will trigger the "lamp out" on the dash...this was the issue I had with both rear sides.) If your not sure about the cargo light than you could press the button to illuminate it and see.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM

I had this happen on my previous truck. It was the licence plate light. Make sure to check that one.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by paststroker
I had this happen on my previous truck. It was the licence plate light. Make sure to check that one.
Yep. That one got me the last time.

MikeyB
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 AM

I am having that issue again now and the "lamp" light does not stay on for very long. I can tap the brakes and it goes out immediately. Last time it was a license plate light that finally went out all the way.

Twice before it was my left tail light - the bulb base had melted a bit and was giving intermitent issues. I found it luckily by being backed into a parking spot next to some store windows when the "lamp" light came on, didn't have to tap the brakes and just looked in the rear view mirror to see the offender.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 AM

lamp out

good information by all. thanks. i did put by 4 way flashers on and walked around the truck. the rear flashers flashed and i believe these are the same as the brake lights. i will get another body to check the brake lights also i am wondering if the back up lights being out would also trigger this warning. will check it when my son comes home. in the mean time i will look at the license plate bulbs.

thanks,
david
socal
Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dhe9
good information by all. thanks. i did put by 4 way flashers on and walked around the truck. the rear flashers flashed and i believe these are the same as the brake lights. i will get another body to check the brake lights also i am wondering if the back up lights being out would also trigger this warning. will check it when my son comes home. in the mean time i will look at the license plate bulbs.

thanks,
david
socal
The back up lights being out should still trigger it I would think. The "lamp out" should be triggered if any light is out.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 PM

What about the 3rd brakelight on the back of the cab?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silverstreak
What about the 3rd brakelight on the back of the cab?
does the cargo lamp on the back of the cab act as a brake light also making three brake lights?

can't check it until dark because of my camper shell. sure hope i don't need to take this shell off but guess i need to if this is the problem.

thanks,
david
socal
Old 11-30-2009, 06:54 PM

got it. was a burnt out brake light. replaced and now no more "lamp out."

david
socal
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 PM

I had this problem, it would come and go on the fwy and drove me nuts. Mine was a bad connection between the bulb and the socket in the rear tail lights. I bought all new bulbs, tweeked the little wire on the bulb that makes the connection and used bulb grease on them, problem solved, for now.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4
I had this problem, it would come and go on the fwy and drove me nuts. Mine was a bad connection between the bulb and the socket in the rear tail lights. I bought all new bulbs, tweeked the little wire on the bulb that makes the connection and used bulb grease on them, problem solved, for now.
I had this same problem. It's the cheap plastic base used on the factory bulbs causing the issue. I replaced all the rears (except the backup lights) with the all glass molded Wagner Krypton bulbs. No more issues in the last three years.

MikeyB
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM

I have this problem and I am waiting for the parts to repair. The right rear tail light assembly where the 3 lamp light bar is plugged in has a bad connection the plug became fused to the bar and when I tried to disconnect it it broke apart. For day's the lamp out light would intermittently come on and off along with the chime, it was driving me crazy, I finally found it by chance I left the key in the on position while I was checking the lights and when I moved the wires going to the light bar the chime would ding.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 AM

This light out thing sucks! I've never had as many problems with lights as I have with this lame system. In the past turn on the lights walk around the truck check the lights. Now I've chased this junk for a year.

I'd rather have a stupid truck that works than this artificial intelligence that has problems.

Quick Reply: "Lamp out"