3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Interior lights...wierd

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior lights...wierd

Now I'm almost positive my overhead (dome) lights use to stay on for, like 5 minutes, with the door open and the key off. and when they went off, they faded off. Lately I've noticed when I open the door they come on and go off after about 10 seconds and they don't fade off, it's instantly. Then when I close the door they come on and then go off after ~10 seconds. This is all with the key off.
Am I having memory failure or is there something wrong here?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Ditto. Extremely aggravating. Mine does it and if I bump the brake pedal or bump light switch, they come on again. Then stay on again for only 10 seconds or so, like you said.

Last edited by nelrod; 12-12-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM

I notice the same thing in my 05. However, I think it has to do with the Headlight switch and how the retro-stat is set. I believe this controls how long they stay on. Otherwise, it should be able to set it up in the overhead on the newer trucks then ours.

Shawn
Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by MoparNut
Now I'm almost positive my overhead (dome) lights use to stay on for, like 5 minutes, with the door open and the key off. and when they went off, they faded off. Lately I've noticed when I open the door they come on and go off after about 10 seconds and they don't fade off, it's instantly. Then when I close the door they come on and then go off after ~10 seconds. This is all with the key off.
Am I having memory failure or is there something wrong here?
Same issue here started a couple of weeks ago. Open the door lights on for 10 sec. then they go out, close the door to get the little one out of the back seat lights come on and then go off while geeting him out of the back seat. I was reading somewhere in the DTR that it may be a sign of your batteries fixing to flatline. Also my radio has also been periodically not wanting to put out any sound. Have you found the problem yet?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Many threads on that already here.
Disconnect both batteries for 30 sec. Reconnect and it will work properly.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info BigDog, I will do that tonight. I am assuming the disconnection resets the computer???
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar strangeness with my rear dome light. After sitting for a few days outside at the airport, when I started the truck, the dome light wouldn't go off. I tried everything in the manual with regard to the dash switch. I opened/closed the door several times, restarted the truck, locked/unlocked, etc. Nothing worked. The light stayed on. So, I drove it home with the light on. When I got home, I was concerned that the batteries would drain from the light being on. Frankly, I didn't think of disconnecting the batteries. Iinstead, I removed the bulb from the light. The next morning, I put it back and it has behaved properly ever since (many months later). And, yes, it fades out when it turns off. My theory is that removing the bulb interrupted a circuit with a stuck relay. But, I'm certainly no expert in the matter. I just know it worked.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 PM

I took my 06 to the dealer for that. They said there was a TSB on it and it was fixed. Battery disconnect sounds easier though.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM

I'll try disconnecting the batteries. I hope the batteries aren't ready to die....although they are 4yrs old.

Thanks for the tip guys.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoparNut
I'll try disconnecting the batteries. I hope the batteries aren't ready to die....although they are 4yrs old.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Woo Hooooo....It worked. Now they work the way I thought they should.

Something I've done recently, and only recently, is I have shut the headlights off after the engine is shut off. I normally shut the lights off first. I don't know if that did something to a relay or the computer? Maybe just a coincidence?