3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installing Back-up Camera, need wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Back-up Camera, need wiring help

I am installing a new Alpine DVD Headunit with associated back-up camera. The head unit needs to be connected to the brakes, parking brake and reverse lamps. Does anyone know which wires under the dash these may be? I should be able to find the parking and brake wires under the dash, but I don't know where outside of the backup lamps or trailer wiring harness to try and find reverse lamp wire inside the cab. Do any of you have any recommendations/solutions?
Thanks in advance,
D
Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a place where you can download the electrical for your year. There is also a lot or other information. The file is big, I downloaded everything first then look up stuff. http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf
Old 04-22-2009, 04:59 PM

take the one for the parking brake and ground it, that way you can watch DVDs and adjust your NAV without it being in park. PS I don't condone watching DVDs while driving, but its nice for the kiddos to be able to watch a DVD while driving.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Banned

I used the wiring at the taillights for the reverse signal. It's a white wire with lime green stripe...becareful though, cause there's also a white wire with a hunter green stripe in there.

--Eric
Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i found the reverse wire at the HUGE junction box, behind the front tire, you will see the huge terminals.

Eric is right - be CAREFUL which wire, and double check it

and yes, ground the parking brake, that way your wife can put in an address while you drive

(you can put a switch on the parking brake lead, that way, if someone borrows your truck - they can't watch movies while driving)
Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 AM

Thanks for all the information. The Alpine headunit looks like it involve a bit more then just grounding the parking brake, it also involves a connection to normal brake lights and a sequence of pushing the brake pedal followed by setting the parking brake in order for video to work. I plan on trying to ground the parking brake first and see if that works though.
I haven’t had a chance to look at the junction box yet, but far as the wire in the junction box goes, do any of you recall what color it was?
Thanks,
D
Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

Save your self the hassle, buy this adapter, converts info from the can bus.

http://www.autosoundcentral.com/Peri..._p/chyah08.htm

Used it on mine and worked great.

Edit: My bad, didnt even think to see what year you had
Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM

i second his Can Bus adapter...i used a cheapo, and it is crappy.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks guys, but I have a 2005, the adapter looks llike it only works on 2006 models and beyond.-D
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM

Find yourself an Alpine forum and research "hacking" the unit. I did it on my Pioneer and it required moving one wire on the main harness, and grounding it with the parking brake wire. This way your nav works while in motion, video if you so choose, and the wiring portion of your truck remains completely intact.

I asked a coworker who moonlights as a best buy installer, I'll respond back if he has a site to use...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM

ok, i don't think a 2005 has can bus going to the radio.

you don't need VSS, i don't have it hooked up on mine (cheap adapter)

you dont' want to put the ground to your parking brake, because then you can't have the wife put in addresses while you drive, and a LOT of times, you don't have a PLACE to stop.

like if you are on the road, to meet at a Steak house, and the other couple calls, and wants chinese. it's just not functional.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take the one for the parking brake and ground it, that way you can watch DVDs and adjust your NAV without it being in park.
Is it really that simple?

(you can put a switch on the parking brake lead, that way, if someone borrows your truck - they can't watch movies while driving)
I let someone do that ONCE..... Came back with custom pin stripes down the side of the truck and a more aerodynamic tailgate...
Old 04-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Yea, on my Avic all I had to do was switch two wires on the connector and ground them for the nav and dvd. Check radio forums. I actually got updated nav dvd's because someone posted .iso's for them.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Hello, Just wanted to follow up. Did you guys ever positively locate the backup wire that runs that the taillight? Which one is it? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by hossola
Hello, Just wanted to follow up. Did you guys ever positively locate the backup wire that runs that the taillight? Which one is it? Thanks!

Originally Posted by enafzige
I used the wiring at the taillights for the reverse signal. It's a white wire with lime green stripe...becareful though, cause there's also a white wire with a hunter green stripe in there.

--Eric
Originally Posted by 04ctd
i found the reverse wire at the HUGE junction box, behind the front tire, underneath the drivers feet, under the vehicle.
you will see the huge terminals.

Eric is right - be CAREFUL which wire, and double check it

you can double check by having the MOTOR OFF and having someone put it in REVERSE, and hitting that wire with a test light.

Quick Reply: Installing Back-up Camera, need wiring help