3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installed Mopar fog lights--interesting result

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Mopar fog lights--interesting result

I finished doing a few upgrades to my truck.

I installed the Laramie chrome body molding on the doors, the chrome mopar bud deflector, the mopar chrome grill from the Laramie, and the mopar fog lights. I put all of these on the truck for a little over 400 bucks and it was less than what it would have cost as options on the truck when new.

The truck is already wired for fog lights, so the kit cam with the lights themsleves, bevels for the bumper, wiring from light to light, and a new headlight switch that has the fog light switch built in.

The installation was simple. The wiring was already under the bumper, so it was a matter of bolting the lights up and plugging them in. I did have to disassemble a portion of the dash to get the old headlight switch out and put the new one in, but it wasn't too bad.

The instructions noted that after the installation, a scan tool needs to be hooked to the truck and have the fog light option turned on. This was so the control module would recognize that the lights were present. After reading this, I was worried that the lights may not work after I installed them.

After everything was wired up, I cut on the fogs. They worked!!! They work on park lamp mode, headlight low beam mode, and.......head light high beam mode!!!!!!!

I believe that if the scan tool is connected to the vehicle and the fog light option is enabled so that the control module knows the fogs are there, it will cut them off during high beam operation in accordance with regulations.

Needless to say, I will NOT have the fog light option turned on on my truck.

I thought this might be an interesting bit of information for those of you thinking of adding fog lamps.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Banned

That is how the freakin' things SHOULD WORK! Nice find! I got jumpers all over my light circuits to make them work how and when I want them to on my old '02.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 PM

How much was the fog kit from the dealer?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 PM

$118 for a truck that is already wired for fogs like mine was. They are the OEM lights made by Hella.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by MX429
$118 for a truck that is already wired for fogs like mine was. They are the OEM lights made by Hella.
Not bad
How would you know whether its wired already or not?
I have an slt, dont have them though.
Do they run the harness on all the trucks, and just only install them on some, or if it didnt come with it, odds are it wont have the wiring?
(I havent crawled under to check yet)
Old 09-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Look under the bumper on the drivers side. If there is a plug close to where the fog light would be on that side, the truck is already wired for fog lights.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:09 PM

I added them to my slt and the wiring was already there.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 PM

Fog light part number.

Do you have the part number for the kit?

Does it come with a factory headlight switch or a toggle??

Thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by FLYH2O
Do you have the part number for the kit?

Does it come with a factory headlight switch or a toggle??

Thanks
The kit comes with a new factory head light switch panel. Its a bargain at $120 if you ask me.

I added the factory fogs to mine about a week after I bought the truck. I purchased the kit off ebay from a dealer in Texas (can't remember who). They had the best price I could find. After the install I didn't have to hook up to a scan tool either. I'll have to check on the high beam thing, though. I hope I get the same result.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:40 PM

mine is wired for fog lights also.i'm giong to add them soon.i would also like the part number if anyboby has it.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

i bougth the fog kit from dave smith in idaho, after I bought the truck. the wiring was there, but fogs dont work with high beams. maybe a difference from 04.5 to an 06
Old 09-08-2006, 03:58 PM

I got them from www.mopar2u.com via ebay.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:50 PM

Put the kit on my truck I believe the SLT comes wired already dont remember part# bought from dodgeparts.com found these #s on another thread https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht+kit+part%23 I also ran jumper wire to keep them on w/highbeams
Old 09-08-2006, 09:30 PM

My fog lights on my 06

are brighter than my high beams !I just run them with the low beams.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

Here's my story, and some words of advice.

I just took off the Laramie bumper on my '06 and put an SLT bumper on in it's place. More chrome, bling. I found out that I needed the bevels in between the lights and the bumpers on the SLT bumper.

When I looked into buying them, they cost $39 a piece. I also asked what a replacement foglight cost, I was told just the light was $120 each! I then asked what the add on fog light kit cost, I was quoted $180 for the kit for a truck without fog lights. I figured that I would buy the whole kit and have the two extra foglights on hand in case I broke one. Cheaper in the long run. A whole bunch cheaper. And as a bonus, I now have a really good fog light wire loom that I will be adding to my Zuki.

And the PN for the kit I got is 82208102AC. It list's for around $180 complete. This is for the kit that you can install the fog lights on a truck without fog lights. Comes with the complete wire loom and an add on switch, not just a small loom and replacement switch. Had I known (or the new parts guy known), I may have gotten it for a lot cheaper.

The advice is. If you can afford it, buy the complete kit. You will end up with extra parts but unload them on ebay. Keep the lights, that will be what makes buying the kit a good idea.

Quick Reply: Installed Mopar fog lights--interesting result