3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Icing on Accumulator--need expert help please

Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxwellp
What is the fin temp sensor reading?
I would cut a hole, assuming that none of this is waranty. If it is, they should pay to fix it, what ever it takes.
Fin temp is reading 30 when the fan speed is on it's lowest setting; otherwise, if the fan speed is any higher the evaporator freezes up and it reads 70. They are paying for the labor
Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM

They need to do a voltage range test, or test the resistance of the fin temp sensor to verify it has the correct resistance for the temp. But they either need to let the truck sit overnight or remove the sensor to do the test. Removal is the only way to know for sure what temps the sensor is being subjected to.

I will see if I can find the resistance info for that sensor.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyWS6
They need to do a voltage range test, or test the resistance of the fin temp sensor to verify it has the correct resistance for the temp. But they either need to let the truck sit overnight or remove the sensor to do the test. Removal is the only way to know for sure what temps the sensor is being subjected to.

I will see if I can find the resistance info for that sensor.

No need to do all of this. This truck is low on R134a. PERIOD!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Both are about 20 PSI low.

A good High Temperature Reading for 134a = twice the ambient temperature + 50.

A good Low Temperature reading should be between 30-40 psig.
This means the temperature of the refrigerant entering the evaporator is between 35 and 40° F.

At 15 on the low side that would = 14.94 F

LOW on charge was my thought from the start and still is. I would need to see a Low side at 35 ish High side 200 ish and it still frozen up like that before I took it apart.
I would Vac it out, refill - using a scale - not a fancy filler that you really do not know what it is doing. Then see what you get.
I would hate to be in your shoes, I wish I could reach in to the computer and help..........
Also the Low PSI switch should have shut the compessor down by 15 psi.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
No need to do all of this. This truck is low on R134a. PERIOD!!!!!!!
Yeah, I looked for the test and there isn't one anyway.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 AM

LOW on charge was my thought from the start and still is. I would need to see a Low side at 35 ish High side 200 ish and it still frozen up like that before I took it apart.
I would Vac it out, refill - using a scale - not a fancy filler that you really do not know what it is doing. Then see what you get.
I would hate to be in your shoes, I wish I could reach in to the computer and help..........
Also the Low PSI switch should have shut the compessor down by 15 psi.

So there is no way that it could be freezing like that and have the appropriate amount of R134a? Also, where is the low psi switch located (control module, Compressor, etc)? Yes, this is the most frustrating issue I've ever experienced with a vehicle.....just an absolute frickin' mess...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Without reading all what's been done, and then looking at the pics of the "freeze" line,, it sure looks like there's a restriction in the line before the orifice tube,, there fore a pressure drop, (same thing as the oriffice tube job) which causes the freeze up before it hits the evap system.

Just a idea to look at if it hasn't already,,,,,

A good shop/AC man should be able to fix that pretty easily no matter what is wrong.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by pull-do
Without reading all what's been done, and then looking at the pics of the "freeze" line,, it sure looks like there's a restriction in the line before the orifice tube,, there fore a pressure drop, (same thing as the oriffice tube job) which causes the freeze up before it hits the evap system.
That would cause the evaporator to starve and not allow enough refrigerant to properly fill the evaporator, much less flood back to the accumulator and compressor suction line.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Is there a low pressure shut-off switch on these trucks?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by reyberg
Is there a low pressure shut-off switch on these trucks?
I have an 05 - I am going to open the hood at look to see if it does.
Mine a/c will freezzzzz you out of the cab even if it is 90 out.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
That would cause the evaporator to starve and not allow enough refrigerant to properly fill the evaporator, much less flood back to the accumulator and compressor suction line.

Hmmmmm,,, yeah, I realize it would starve downstream,, still thought it would freeze up also, guess not,,, just an idea

Guess that's why I weld for a living..
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 PM

I have an 05 - I am going to open the hood at look to see if it does.
Mine a/c will freezzzzz you out of the cab even if it is 90 out.
Thanks for looking....wish I could brag about driving in a meat locker
Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Angry

I do not yet have the Dodge Service Books on these newer ones yet. Some one else must. But I looked at my 05 and there is not a Low PSI switch that I can find. My 96 has one (looked) guessing that my 01 does too, It's not here but I will look.

Dodge must be using the Fin Temp Probe to control the compressor at low demand. The service book could tell us. I have been lucky and just dirve the 05.

I still go with my first thoughts, low on juice or something stuck in line that does not belong there.
Even if that Fin Temp Probe was not working right, at start up you should be able to put in it High A/C (needs to be hot outside) and keep it from freezing up. There would be a large load to keep the compressor running.
Will it Blow out cold if you do this?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM

I do not yet have the Dodge Service Books on these newer ones yet. Some one else must. But I looked at my 05 and there is not a Low PSI switch that I can find. My 96 has one (looked) guessing that my 01 does too, It's not here but I will look.

Dodge must be using the Fin Temp Probe to control the compressor at low demand. The service book could tell us. I have been lucky and just dirve the 05.

I still go with my first thoughts, low on juice or something stuck in line that does not belong there.
Even if that Fin Temp Probe was not working right, at start up you should be able to put in it High A/C (needs to be hot outside) and keep it from freezing up. There would be a large load to keep the compressor running.
Will it Blow out cold if you do this?
Yes, at start up she blows nice and cold but then after about 10-15 minutes you can tell something isn't right. The air starts getting warmer, approximately 73 degrees and then stays like that.
Today I made the 30 mile trek to my dealer and left it on the lowest fan speed with the recirc on and by the time I made it to dealership, the whole thing was totally ice covered. There goes their theory that it doesn't freeze on the low setting....

To top it all off, when they ordered a new sensor, someone in D/C parts put the wrong one in the bag geesh
Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by reyberg
Yes, at start up she blows nice and cold but then after about 10-15 minutes you can tell something isn't right. The air starts getting warmer, approximately 73 degrees and then stays like that.
Today I made the 30 mile trek to my dealer and left it on the lowest fan speed with the recirc on and by the time I made it to dealership, the whole thing was totally ice covered. There goes their theory that it doesn't freeze on the low setting....

To top it all off, when they ordered a new sensor, someone in D/C parts put the wrong one in the bag geesh
I am going to run my 05 and see if the compressor shuts off with it on high, I am thinking it will not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Icing on Accumulator--need expert help please