3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

HVAC issue... Which door? Please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HVAC issue... Which door? Please advise!

Well, I knew it'd happen sooner or later... looks like one of my HVAC doors or actuators may be broken. I have read through ALL of the posts on HVAC fixes, but I haven't seen my specific issue described. Here's what's up;

When the A/C is ON the air coming out of the driver's side vents is much colder than the passenger side vents. This is true whether the selector **** is set to recirc' or not... always colder on the driver's side.
However...
- Airflow from passenger vents is still good, no noticeable reduction in flow.
- With the A/C ON the passenger air is colder than ambient air, but warmer than driver's side
- When using heat or ambient air (A/C button OFF), it is ~the same temp from all vents
- The heater ducts (in footwells) appear to be working normally
- The Defrost vents appear to be working normally
- The recirc' door appears to be operating properly ( I can hear it close and can hear and feel the change in flow)
- My truck has the single temp control, not dual.

So, what's going on? Any idea which door or actuator isn't working correctly?

I am currently guessing that this is a blend door issue, but If I have to pull the whole HVAC unit out I will replace ALL of the doors with parts from Heater Treater or fabricate new parts myself. But I am also wondering if maybe, just maybe, this is something that can be repaired without taking the dash apart.

Thanks in advance!
-Mark
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You are low on R134a. Get the system serviced and add in proper amount (1.88lbs ), you should be good to go again. It's a long ongoing issue with many threads about it. IF you get the new orifice tube line with the larger opening, put in 2.00lbs.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the fast reply Spooler!
Now that I'm searching for the correct issue I can see that lots of folks have reported the same thing... I'm glad that I won't be taking the dash apart to replace HVAC doors, not yet at least
It is curious that the driver's side is still ice-cold when the refrigerant is low. Anybody know exactly why this issue presents itself this way?
Anyway, will get the system recharged with exactly 1.88lbs and report back.
Thanks again,
-Mark
Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope someone gives you a awnser, mine is the same,also lots of heat on pass. side/very little on drivers side.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm guessing that if the system is low on refrigerant one side of the evaporator gets colder than the other, and the air from that side happens to be what gets directed to the driver side?

Whatever the reason, passenger side not getting as cold seems to be the symptom of needing a recharge.