3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How long can I leave my truck plugged in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radshooter
I sometimes go 2 or 3 weeks without driving the beast. I do like to keep it plugged in just in case the wife's truck won't start some cold morning though. Does it hurt anything to be plugged in constantly that long? I don't pay for electricity, so it is not hurting my wallet.

Electricity for FREE -- Plug it in and forget it. Won't hurt anything.

We routinely plug in all our trucks all winter long, never even burnt out an element in 20 years (knock on wood).
Keep the backhoe, dozer, air compressor and three phase generator plugged in also.

This is a great forum, but sometimes users here tend to overthink and over-complicate some very basic things.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghenges
Electricity for FREE -- Plug it in and forget it. Won't hurt anything.

We routinely plug in all our trucks all winter long, never even burnt out an element in 20 years (knock on wood).
Keep the backhoe, dozer, air compressor and three phase generator plugged in also.

This is a great forum, but sometimes users here tend to overthink and over-complicate some very basic things.

exactly!!^^^

the point is the diesel engine will always start and is much easier on them if they're warm (Ie.) Pluged in, also there is less wear on things when warmer rather than a Cold startup, so sure if you can plug it in and your not paying then go ahead. those of us that are paying tend to use timers so as to save some $$ for other mods LOL. we still plug them in if we feel the need.

now you know you can potentially leave it pluged in forever long as there coolant. and wont hurt it.
wish I could leave mine pluged in all the time but with the electricity being about 16cents a killowat hour it adds up fast, around here a 200 plus dollar a month electric bill is the norm..
Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 PM

i pay for the electricity at my apartment and the dodge sits plugged in all the time. i know 19 below and it will start by be that hard on it. no timers used here and i wont drive it for a week or two at time since i got an 85 chev gasser to drive to work.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
750 watt heater will cost around $1.80 a day

1000 watt heater will cost around $ 2.40 a day or $72 a month (30 days)

Both the above are based on .10 per k/wh
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM

What a waste. No wonder North Americans use more energy than anyone else, per capita, in the world.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 AM

That is why I had to install meters on all the sites in my rv park. If they have to pay for the electricity, they won't waste as much.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 AM

I live in a area where it is single digits from nov-mar and rarely plug my truck in. Cycle the key 1 time and she fires up just like it's summertime.
My father has a 6.0 liter and that truck needs electricity when the temps hit 30. She jumps, spits, sputters for 20 seconds and then runs loud and heavy for a good minute before it smooths out. His truck heats up fast, whereas mine take 5 miles of driving before it's warm enough to defrost the windshield.

I wouldn't worry about pluggin it in, unless I lived in sub zero temps.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Just use a HD timer and set it to come on 2-3 hr before you leave
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 AM

To those of you who actually took the time to answer my original question, thank you very much. Your info was very helpful. You are welcome at my fire anytime.

The rest of you seemed very quick to judge without all the details. Not one of you bothered to ask why I thought it was necessary to leave the truck plugged in all the time. I did not ask how cold it was at your house, nor do I care.

I do X-rays, Cat Scans, and MRI at a very small, rural hospital. Due to the limited number of technologists employed at this hospital, I am on call almost all the time. It is not unusual for me to get called in even when I am not on call. Most of the time when I get called in, it is because there has been a bad car wreck, stabbing, or gunshot. I rarely get called in unless it is a trauma. So, when the phone rings, I HAVE to get there, no excuses about how cold it is or how deep the snow is. Maybe some of you have jobs where you can call your boss and say "My truck won't start, I'll be late", but my job is not one of those. I can hear it now...."Sorry Doc, I can't come in to do the Cat Scan on your trauma patient because I was trying to "suck it up" and "save the environment" by not plugging my truck in. You will have to figure out some other way to find the source of internal bleeding." Yeah, right.

Both of our trucks are very well maintained, and neither has ever failed to start, regardless of how cold it is wherever we are working. We travel a lot and have spent time in cold country. We were in Idaho for 16 months. Even at -30, both trucks started. Yes, the Dodge was plugged in overnight, but started even at 0 degrees after sitting at work all day. However......I am not willing to take the chance that now will be the first time it lets me down. My job is too important to me to risk it, not to mention the life of the patient.

I frequent several other diesel sites where they actually answer questions without ridicule or one-upmanship about how cold it is. I guess I will be spending a lot more time on those sites, because I am pretty much done with this place.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Way to go guys. You made him angry.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by slimpicken
Way to go guys. You made him angry.
thats fine I have no need for weak minded people, that cant take a little crap now and again. so oh well..
Most all of us were just making conversation, adding in what we did or do, what we have experienced, I for my part wasnt trying to One up anything, if he wants to leave this place based on that then whatever. Personally I think those other sites suck thats why I stay here. but thats just me. guess he'll flame me for that one too huh..

Later.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Don't leave angry!!!! Maybe talk to your wife about this and she can come on here and straighten it out for you.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM

And we were to know you have special circumstances?

My comments wouldn't change but don't get your knickers in a knot for starting a conversation without clarifying.

Hope your choice of site meets your needs and parameters for replies.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 PM

well it sounds like your pretty well forced to leave it pluged in if your on call. but can you start over again. i forget if you said the truck was in a garage or shed or anything? is there anytime your not on call? id just unplug it then. the truck cant be too far from your house? timers are great my parents and i all use them and how cold is it usually
Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I watch wind blow...

leave it plugged in as long as there is fluid in it should be fine.

I live in a motel. so the electricity is free-ish. I only plug my truck in when it gets below 20ish. I did not ask the owner of the motel if I could SO I try to respect his elec bill and only plug it in when it's somewhat cold.

does anyone know the watt draw on the block heater?

and does the wattage usage change in colder climates?

don't leave this site over this thread. this is the best site of the three I use.

also, RADshooter... clever name.

Quick Reply: How long can I leave my truck plugged in?