3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hollow Leg

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hollow Leg

Just a heads up for anyone that does not fill their own truck.<br><br>I did my first fill today, after the &quot;automatic&quot; nozzle shut off due to foam etc. I put in 5.4 more gallons!<br><br>Now, go figure that! For sure, to get &quot;real&quot; mileage figures, you got to top it up each and every time. It seemed like it took forever to fill the tank into the neck with fluid instead of foam.<br><br>If you want real mileage figures and you want the most miles to the tank, take time, fill the truck yourself, slowly (more than 5 minutes to fill into the neck) <br><br>One thing that surprised me was this, the &quot;low&quot; fuel light did not come on, the fuel gauge showed 1/4 tank. The low light is supposed to come on at 1/8 tank. Well, then the overhead 'puter will show &quot;0&quot; miles to go, when it gets to 10% of the tank left.<br><br>My question is this, is the tank way larger than 35 gallons? As I put in 30.4 gallons to fill, and the &quot;low&quot; light did not come on nor did the &quot;0&quot; for empty (when it shows that it is still supposed to have 3.5 gallons left.<br><br>Maybe my &quot;low&quot; light is not working?<br><br>Anyway, if you want real mileage figures, fill it yourself, have patience with these &quot;hollow leg&quot; trucks, and put the liquid to the top of the neck each and every time.<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-01-2002, 06:08 AM

Re:Hollow Leg

Hunter,<br> Thanks for the info. Believe it or not, fueling is one of the half million or so things I have been worrying about ??? Maybe you can answer a couple quick questions. 1.) Did you stop the engine when you fueled? Since I was a kid, I was always told to turn off the engine when I got gas but I am also being told you need to let the Cummins run for a few minutes before shutting it down. I have also noticed a PSD at the local station fueling while his truck was running. 2.) I have seen signs at major stations on the freeway that point one direction for cars and another direction for trucks. Which direction do you take with a diesel pickup? <br> Sounds like dumb questions : but this will be my first diesel and I think I have a lot to learn. Thanks,<br>The Boss Hog<br>
Old 11-01-2002, 06:16 AM

Here ya go Boss. This is a recent thread on shutting down engines or not.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d=5275;start=0

You will see that opinions are like (hmm.. : ) Everybody's got one. ;D

Old 11-01-2002, 08:55 AM

go to the truck side and get dwarfed by the tractor trailers!!:0...as far as shutting it down when i fuel...it is always on...it only takes a few minutes......
Old 11-01-2002, 01:20 PM

8) It would not surprise me if our boys are able to get 4-6 gallons more in the truck than spec'd.<br><br>My VW diesel (TDI) went from a stated capacity of 14.5 to an actual capacity of 17.0 gallons - that's a 2.5 gallon increase on what is classified as a &quot;compact&quot; car.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 11-01-2002, 02:33 PM

Boss<br><br>There are probably as many opinions out there as there are stars in the sky!<br><br>I always turn mine off, unless it is freezing cold outside.<br><br>As far as which lane, I usually fuel at a CFN (commercial fueling station)<br><br>If you go to the truck side, you will have to hunt for the &quot;small nozzle&quot; or you will be in trouble. Most truck pumps have the huge high capacity nozzles that won't work for you or I. Most all truck stops will have one pump with a small nozzle for the kids, lol<br><br>But, most times, if there is diesel at the car island, that is where I will go. I find that the pavement, concrete, island, nozzle and the window wash are all much cleaner than at the truck islands. Besides, car island is always closer to the pay area and the 12 pack area <br><br>Hope this helps<br><br>e mail me<br><br>georgesmail@hotmail.com<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-01-2002, 05:31 PM

Guys, <br> Thanks for the advice. As you can see, I'm more than a little nervous! The truck is still &quot;D1&quot; and maybe it should stay that way until I calm down. Thanks again,<br><br>The Boss Hog (a.k.a. Tom)<br><br>PS: Hunter, I could not get your email to work
Old 11-01-2002, 07:41 PM

Hunter, where were you filling your own tank? Oregonians have that silly law where they must hire someone that knows nothing about your vehicle, to stick the nozzle in the fill spout, turn on the pump, and take your money.

I bought $42 dollars 28.0 gals. diesel in Coos Bay at a Shell station on N. Main, US-101 two weeks ago. Charge ticket was for regular unleaded. The pump jockey idiot said the machine had a problem. On my M-C Statement there was the $42 charge and another one for the same station the same day for $46. I call Oregon's No Self Service Station Law, &quot;Keep Idiots Employed Law&quot;.

I've had to write letters to the service station and to the bank to get this 2nd charge reversed.

I've also had to tell these idiots while parked next to the diesel pump, &quot;diesel please, not unleaded&quot;.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:02 PM

Phil<br><br>Well, we can pump our own diesel at a CFN Commercial Fuel Depot or a Pacific Pride. We cannot pump our own gas unless you have a &quot;commercial&quot; account as we used to with the State Police etc.<br><br>Kind of a dumb law, but it does keep the homeless employed here <br><br>And, a heads up to anyone, these new diesels are soooooooooo quiet, be careful out there, some dunderhead that is used to a gen1 or gen2 Dodge will thing the darn thing is a gasser and fill it up appropriately!<br><br>I am thinking of one of the green fuel caps that Genos offers, might just give the attendant a clue?<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-01-2002, 09:17 PM

My low fuel light and audible alarm alerted me at 1/4 tank. I stopped at the local truck stop, and filled her up with 24.5 gal of fuel. I had no prob's filling her up; only had to squeeze the handle once after she shut off the first time. Some foam but not much.<br><br>2nd tank mileage was 16.5 again, mostly city driving.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:35 PM

What kind of brew with head are you guys fillin up with. I filled mine up 5 times and never seen a head on #2 diesel in California. The time in Coos Bay that idiot/homeless tried to rip me off for two tanks I just watched to see the hose from the diesel pump went into my tank, don't know if it had a head.

Hunter, so that law keeps the homeless employed, huh. Then they can buy their drugs or cheap bottle of wine.

Bulabula, My dinger dinged and the fuel light came on at 1/4 tank I put in 28.0 gals. I must have found the hollow big toe.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:44 AM

hollow legs. I remember an ole merchant sea captain who had a hollow leg, and at a party in Japan, he took it off, filled it with beer and passed it around for drinks. no thanks - not enough saki in Japan to make me drink from it.<br><br>I thought all diesel foamed.? Even a little. I've seen foam at truck stops, in the red stuff for boats, heck we used to take on 300 thou for practice alongside an oiler, and sometimes we saw some foam..... but my memory fades there.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:35 PM

WEll guys<br><br>When mine got to 1/4 I filled her! No light, no dinger, and I put 30.4 gallons in it!<br><br>So, mystery to me is why? #1 Gauge still read 1/4 #2 Light/dinger did not come on #3 Why it could take that much at 1/4 tank #4 I had to take 5 minutes very slowly to get the &quot;liquid&quot; level up into the neck of the tank allowing for the foam to settle?<br><br>Wondering if you guys are seeing total liquid in the neck and where you are filling does the concrete slab tip away from the pump? Where I fill, they purposely slope the slab away from the pump for just that reason, so you can totally fill your diesel tank. Make any sense to you boys? Slope it away, get super full tank ;D<br><br>Wondering Hunter
Old 11-02-2002, 06:37 PM

[quote author=Hunter link=board=17;threadid=6476;start=0#60686 date=1036182819]
............If you go to the truck side, you will have to hunt for the &quot;small nozzle&quot; or you will be in trouble. Most truck pumps have the huge high capacity nozzles that won't work for you or I. Most all truck stops will have one pump with a small nozzle for the kids, lol..................

Hunter
[/quote]

Hunter, any truck stop I've fueled at had nozzles that worked fine. As you say, they are much larger in diameter than a typical gasoline nozzle, but that's one big filler pipe on ours. The place I fuel at can put 20+ gallons in my truck in less than 2 minutes. In fact I read somewhere about a Dodge boy getting a good laugh out of watching a Powerstoke fella pull out of a long waiting line of cars and drive over to the truck pumps where he was fueling. Then watched the sparks fly when the truck nozzle wouldn't go in his filler neck. &quot;Go to the end of the line&quot;
Old 11-02-2002, 09:14 PM

Hmmmm, didn't think about that, been fillin' a Ferd at the pumps, and you are right, truck nozzle won't go into one ???<br><br>Might just retry the truck side now if the girl will take her that fast, all I know is when you crank the nozzle on on'na those truck fillers you better be hanging on 'cause your'e gonna get some serious GPM <br><br>Thanks for that thought comma!<br><br>Hunter

Quick Reply: Hollow Leg