3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help with Plugs in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Plugs in steering column

Guys and Gals,
I have a 2004.5 2500 Four Door automatic.

I just did a heater core swap...I'll sell the **** truck before I do that again...but after getting it all back together I was connecting the plugs on the steering column and believe it or not, I can't find out where one goes. Been at it for hours. Dumbest thing I ever had to do. There is a harness that runs up the bottom of the steering column. It has a yellow plug and white plug that plug in next to each other at the base of the steering column. About 8 inches before the end, the harness Y's off and there is about a 10 inch long piece of wiring with a black male plug on it. I can't figure out where it goes! All I do know is that I have no overhead lights, no door buzzer, no dash lights and the truck won't start. Power seats work etc. Can anyone tell me where that **** plug goes? All this work doing a heater core to be held up by a plug I can't find!!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What color is the wire? if black it is a ground wire, is the wire coming out of the steering column or going into the column,
Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 PM

THere are three plugs. One white, one yellow, one black. Yellow and white plug in at the bottom of the steering column. The black one is the one I cant figure out. It's got switched power, constant power and ground wires in it. I just can't figure where it plugs. I have a diagram that suggest that it plugs into the ignition switch. But my ignition switch has no female plug on it.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:40 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm just throwing things against the wall here...any chance it's the trailer brake harness?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now u say three wires,switch power power, and ground, that controls your, door buzzer over head light and dash light also starter switch. now what color are the wires
Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM

I'm having the same issue. same extra plug and not interior lights after a dash removal
Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackRam
Guys and Gals,
I have a 2004.5 2500 Four Door automatic.

I just did a heater core swap...I'll sell the **** truck before I do that again...but after getting it all back together I was connecting the plugs on the steering column and believe it or not, I can't find out where one goes. Been at it for hours. Dumbest thing I ever had to do. There is a harness that runs up the bottom of the steering column. It has a yellow plug and white plug that plug in next to each other at the base of the steering column. About 8 inches before the end, the harness Y's off and there is about a 10 inch long piece of wiring with a black male plug on it. I can't figure out where it goes! All I do know is that I have no overhead lights, no door buzzer, no dash lights and the truck won't start. Power seats work etc. Can anyone tell me where that **** plug goes? All this work doing a heater core to be held up by a plug I can't find!!
I had the exact same issue! Your post motivated me to go look again at my connections. The yellow one next to white is airbag. The black one has 2 round clips before the end connector that snap into 2 holes by the ignition. Motor side (directly behind ignition) is a black box (mine labeled immobilizer) right on the steering column. Snaps into that box.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:57 PM

help

Originally Posted by 04BlackRam
THere are three plugs. One white, one yellow, one black. Yellow and white plug in at the bottom of the steering column. The black one is the one I cant figure out. It's got switched power, constant power and ground wires in it. I just can't figure where it plugs. I have a diagram that suggest that it plugs into the ignition switch. But my ignition switch has no female plug on it.
any way you could post a pic? I still have no interior lights no door chime ext. and still have one plug with no home.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this a match? Closest I could find in the '04 service manual.......based on the size and colors from you pic.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jharbin
Is this a match? Closest I could find in the '04 service manual.......based on the size and colors from you pic.

That looks like it and I would assume that's why I cant find where it goes because I dont have the key immobilizer feature. So no I know what's up with that. Thanks. Now I still have to figure our why I have no interior lights no third brake/cargo light and no over head display for my millage outside temp ext. This all was working before I pulled the dash to do an evaporator and heater core
Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at the sm again all of those seem to be on connector C201. It's a white connector "near left instrument panel speaker". Assuming it runs up the left pillar.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jharbin
Looking at the sm again all of those seem to be on connector C201. It's a white connector "near left instrument panel speaker". Assuming it runs up the left pillar.

Thanks I will check tomorrow when I get off duty and let you know.