3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Has anyone done the DC cure for AC odor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Has anyone done the DC cure for AC odor?

Occasionally I get a little smell out of the AC system. I tried Frigi-Fresh, which I think helped and I really don't smell it anymore, but the GF claims it is still there and it really bothers her...

Anyway, I was looking at this TSB

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/24-013-05.htm

and I'm wondering if anyone here has had this done, or done it themselves, and what the results were.

I called the dealership, and they said they haven't heard of this, and use a product from BG when they have a vehicle with odor (and that would be Frigi-Fresh that I've already tried)...

Lastly, does anyone know where I could check the price and/or order stuff listed in the TSB?

Looks like it takes 3 bottles cleaner 05170022AA, one bottle coating treatment 04728942AB, and an applicator AI-62637...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd assume that removing the source of an odor would always be the best solution but are you sure that's the problem? My truck's PO was a heavy smoker and I used a small ozone generator that I rented locally for $35. O3 is a highly unstable gas that will bond to almost anything organic (smelly stuff) and change it's chemical composition so it no longer has an odor. Now you can't tell that my truck has ever been smoked in and best of all girls can't either (they sense of smell is 10 times ours.) If you go the ozone route, shop around as the larger units rent for hundreds of bucks per day. you only need a small one. Remember to run the air while ozoning. I didn't the first time I ever used one to remove smoke-smell and you got a wiff of it when ever you turned on the heat/air.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I took it to a professional detail shop when I first got it, and they did the ozone thing. The ozone smell faded in a day or so, but the smell came back a week or so later. They did another longer treatment with their high $$$ ozone machine, with similar result.

I've cleaned the rest of the cab very well- new floor mats, took the seats out, pressure washed the rear seat cover, and the fold flat floor.

I can't smell much, but I think there's mould in the evaporator case.

Previous owner didn't smoke, but lived in a wet and warm climate and had a dog. GF says smell is not dog...

Rinsing out the AC system seemed to help, which also tends to make me think that is the source.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GM does the same procedure. The best way to help eliminate the problem is when you know you are getting ready to shut down, switch from recirc to outside air and shut the ac off for a few minutes and let the fan work by itself. It helps dry the case out and stop the mildew buildup
Old 07-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This isn't really helpful, but it's funny and slightly related.

Years ago (late 80's) I took a job working for Domino's Pizza. This is back when the pizza was good and they had the 30-min guarantee.

Anyway, one of the guys who trailed me drove a (ick) Yugo, which he had bought new. He apologized for the pizza smell inside... he said the smell had gotten into the air conditioner, and he hadn't taken the time to "disassemble the compressor and clean it out." Even back then I found that amusing, since the compress is a sealed unit and isn't where the smell would be.

BTW, I get a mildewy smell too if I leave it on Recirc for too long. Downside is the A/C doesn't work worth a crap if it isn't on Recirc.

Rob
Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Chapter President

YOu can also try getting a piece of raw leather and putting some RTV black on it, then leave it on the dash in the suns heat. Vola, instant new car smell.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
GM does the same procedure. The best way to help eliminate the problem is when you know you are getting ready to shut down, switch from recirc to outside air and shut the ac off for a few minutes and let the fan work by itself. It helps dry the case out and stop the mildew buildup
X2

This is the best way to keep it from happening. Once you get the cool moisture trapped in the unit, funky stuff starts growing in it.

garrett
Old 07-09-2008, 05:05 PM

With the fan on hi, spray Ozium into the cowl. That usually takes care of the problem for awhile.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 PM

Yeah, I usually shut down the AC a minute or so before parking, to give the system a chance to loose moisture. I think that works to prevent growth, but I think this thing has gotten bad enough in it's previous life that this won't help.

I've tried ozone treatments, Frigi-Fresh, and spraying out the evaporator and case with water...

I might ask the parts guy for a price for this cleaner, treatment, and applicator, and try it (I was hoping to hear from someone who tried it). From the instructions on the TSB it sounds pretty harsh (wear safety glasses and gloves) but it beats pulling the HVAC case.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 PM

Lightbulb

I just started noticing a smell recently, so this is good information in this thread that I was not aware of!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 PM

When I was doing some reading about AC smell, I found an article that said newer cars are more prone to the issue because the fins are on a tighter pitch, and more prone to holding in moisture.

GM apparently has a module on some cars that detects conditions where that can happen, and runs the fan for a few seconds every minute or two after you shut down, to dry out the evaporator fins and HVAC case, which makes sense...

Anyway, I just want this completely gone.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've disinfected several HVAC systems with various products, and they do work for a period of time. I would suggest that you go ahead with the disinfectant procedure, then follow it up with a 5 minute dryout cycle with the a/c off before vehicle shutdown every time you use the a/c. If you don't park with the evaporator wet, I don't think the smell will ever come back.

I'm pretty fussy about shutting down the a/c and letting the fan blow for 5 minutes before I park my truck, and I've never had the smell problem. Granted, the air is fairly dry here, but I've sure smelled it in other peoples' vehicles.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Well, unless I can find some place to get the stuff on line cheap, I don't think I'll be doing the DC odor thing...

The cleaner runs $15 each, and 3 are required= $45
The coating is $90
The applicator tool is $150

$285 to do it myself. Service dept says with labor they could be close to $400.

Maybe I might try using a household cleaner and the method described in the TSB- plugging the AC condensation drain, spraying cleaner threw the evaporator via taking the fan out, and letting it soak...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Maybe I might try using a household cleaner and the method described in the TSB- plugging the AC condensation drain, spraying cleaner threw the evaporator via taking the fan out, and letting it soak...
Spray Nine kills bacteria, have done several GM evaporators with that. They are the worst, and actually have so much gunk growing on them that it blocks airflow through the fins. Not sure if Spray Nine would deal with the smell, or last as long as specific evaporator stuff though. I guess it's easy enough to try a few things.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM

I read someplace that if you switch to recirc to outside air, then about a mile before shut down turn the AC OFF but leave the blower going it drys it all out. I have no smell so I guess it works! >?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done the DC cure for AC odor?