3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

H.O.Auto.or 6-Speed......

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:H.O.Auto.or 6-Speed......

Only problem is it's SLOW!!! I didn't buy this thing for racing...but I don't think I could beat anyone off the line if I wanted to. [undecided]
Old 06-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start off in 4th, red line and then to 6th. Probably beat all the vettes out there, POS GM scrap...... <br>Try this before the tinfoil and duct tape mods you have planned..... ;D
Old 06-11-2003, 04:06 PM

I'll have to give that a shot before I start applying duct tape and foil. Seems starting in 4th would be kid of a slow start though....
Old 06-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Banned

rev it up man. Remember your clutch is under warranty for a bit eh???
Old 06-11-2003, 04:36 PM

Think I'll pass. I happen to like my clutch...and my engine doesn't like to be redlined.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:15 PM

Well I went to the dealership and drove both and it sure did'nt help me with my choice between the two.The 6-speed is more fun to drive but the auto. really seems like a big improvement over the 47re and man does that thing get off the line and move.The dealer also did a search and only found 3 white ones and 2 silver 6-speeds with the equipment I wanted.When he searched the autos.22 white ones and 16 silver came up.He said that the auto. is selling like hot cakes and Dodge is sending a whole lot more of them out.I really don't plan on bombing much if any and we have our ranch trucks to do most of the heavy pulling.Even though 90% of you guys said go with 6-speed I'm kind of leaning towards the auto.I told the dealer I would get back with him the first of the week so I still have a few nights to sleep on it.Thanks for all of the advice guys and I hope I make the right choice.I'll get back at you all next week.Thanks.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Banned

either way 6spd or auto we all know you will love your truck. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:02 AM

We went with the 48re because of what a prominant rebuilder said about it, he thinks it will hold up if taken care of and so do I. I can't drive a stick any way because of a slight disability. I am planning on keeping this truck for years and pulling up to 15000 pounds. Time will tell I guess
Old 06-12-2003, 10:13 AM

[quote author=v-bar link=board=17;threadid=15359;start=30#148390 date=1055380538]<br>Well I went to the dealership and drove both and it sure did'nt help me with my choice between the two.The 6-speed is more fun to drive but the auto. really seems like a big improvement over the 47re and man does that thing get off the line and move.The dealer also did a search and only found 3 white ones and 2 silver 6-speeds with the equipment I wanted.When he searched the autos.22 white ones and 16 silver came up.He said that the auto. is selling like hot cakes and Dodge is sending a whole lot more of them out.I really don't plan on bombing much if any and we have our ranch trucks to do most of the heavy pulling.Even though 90% of you guys said go with 6-speed I'm kind of leaning towards the auto.I told the dealer I would get back with him the first of the week so I still have a few nights to sleep on it.Thanks for all of the advice guys and I hope I make the right choice.I'll get back at you all next week.Thanks.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I really don't think you will be dissatisfied with either one as long as you take care to do the scheduled maintenance on time with the recommended stuff. I test drove the 48RE for my oldest son to give him an opinion, and I can say I was quite impressed with it. One must remember that the 48RE with the HO is a WORKING TRUCK set of equipment, and will act like a truck instead of a Cadillac as far as smoothnes of shift, etc. - but hey, that what many of us buy a truck for, right? ;D Whichever one you select, you will love it anyway, so good luck choosing, and enjoy.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:07 AM

The 6-speed is sweet but I myself prefer a auto in my truck. Sure you may get a little more mileage and a little bit more control over the engine but man do I love cruising with my arm drapped over the seat. No gears to shift just put in drive and go! Either way though either choice would be right!
Old 06-12-2003, 03:38 PM

If you go to dodge's site and look at there tow info page it states that the Automatic transmition with the HO Cummings is rated to pull more than the 6 speed. It's only a little bit more but more none the less. The gross trailer and vehicle ratings is the same for both trans. in may case 20,000 lbs. but the max trailer weight is more with the automatic. I am wondering if everyone just assumes the 6 speed will pull more because of previous automatic transmitions mated to the cummings. Check for yourself at this link. It allows you to change engines and trans. to compare. <br><br>http://www.dodge.com/ram_truck/index...e&amp;type=top<br><br>then go to the dodge towing guide and compare tow ratings by vehicle. I found it very interesting.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:03 AM

mennis,
&quot;the Automatic transmition with the HO Cummings is rated to pull more than the 6 speed. It's only a little bit more but more none the less.&quot;

The difference in tow ratings between 6 speed and auto is simply due to the 6 speed tranny being about 300# heavier than auto.
Don't drop it on your toes.
:'(
This info is from Dodge specifications. Even the 5 speed tranny is heavier than the 48RE.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:05 AM

I wonder where the extra 239 lbs. comes from. I would have a hard time believing the transmission itself weighs that much more. <br><br>The point is the automatic is not a slouch when it comes to towing and the loads it can tow. The manufacturer themselves state that in their tow ratings. I have gotten the impression from reading many posts that the 6 speed is for &quot;towing heavy loads&quot; and automatic is not. This seems to be grossly inaccurate. As a matter of fact according to DC just the opposite (by few hundred pounds only but -- &quot;an inch or a mile...&quot. This not to say there are not benefits to the 6 speed but it just seems to me that the automatic has been unfairly labeled and new buyers should be aware that it is a fine transmission for towing as well as the 6 speed.

Quick Reply: H.O.Auto.or 6-Speed......