3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Guys with Black Trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guys with Black Trucks!

How do you guys wash and detail them? Ive seen some trucks with swirl scratches in them and i dont want it to happen to mine. How do you clean and detail them to keep from doing this? Thanks Wes
Old 11-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To avoid swirl marks, use a lambswool mitt to wash, and only do small sections at a time. Be sure to rinse the mitt thoroughly before dipping it back into your bucket of soapy water. This prevents grit from getting in your soapy water and then being smeared across your paint like sandpaper causing swirl marks. Wash from the top down. Wash all around the top of the car, and THEN do all the rocker panels and rear bumper/front grille, and then wheels last. This may seem like extra effort but it really pays off. You might want to use a separate rinse and suds bucket. Next when drying, be sure to only use soft terrycloth towels, and work from the top down. Do not rub your rocker panels (which probably will contain grit) and then wipe the same towel across your hood. Don't press hard with towels. Hope this helps, mine is swirl free!
Old 11-06-2004, 07:44 PM

i dont have a black truck, but i know there are some good swirl removers out there. ive seen it used on black, dark blue, dark green and many other vehicles and it does a good job of taking out the swirls and scrathes... there are a lot of brands out there... worth a shot...
Old 11-06-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Also, pressure wash your truck before you hand wash it. You do not want the gravel and crud to get imbedded into the lambspad.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:58 PM

Never ever us the FOAM BRUSH!! Lightman is right, It's small particles in wash mits and sponges that cause swirl marks. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse everything as much as you can before touching the paint. I've gone to white because I got so ****** with how much black shows everything no matter how careful you are. Never let any shop or dealer wash you truck after any kind of service work. They may think they are doing you a great favor. They will have some kid in the back half *** wash it and then wipe it down. BAD, BAD. Dressed in black is hot, but at a very labour intensive price.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:26 PM

Just be happy you don't have Patriot Blue.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:22 PM

Here is what I have found to work really well. 100% lambwool mit, and I use a chimie called the aborsorber, it is not made of animal hide material it is a polyproplene towel. I have a dedicated wash mit that I use only on the truck body and another to do the rocker planels. I wet down the truck with a stream of water to remove any grit on dried on dirt, then wash with a good quility soap. Additionlly I try to wash on cloudy-cool days or at dusk to get more dry time, so I do not have water spots. The black is pretty, but a lot of work to keep clean and scratch free. had truck one year and on scratches or swirl marks.

Found a good solution for removing paint over spray or other hard to remove materials. The material is called clay magic. I purchashed it at a paint supply store along with a spray called final inspection. It removed all the paint over spray and the finish on the truck looks great. I waxed it with Zymoli wax after I was done and it looks better then the day I brought it home.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel so guilty, a long handled brush, dishsoap, seems to dry best at about 80 mph... Chassie cleaning is accomplished but spraying under with a detergent when working on the truck. Let it dry, the next rain cleans it real good. Not joking, works....
Old 11-07-2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I feel so guilty, a long handled brush, dishsoap, seems to dry best at about 80 mph... Chassie cleaning is accomplished but spraying under with a detergent when working on the truck. Let it dry, the next rain cleans it real good. Not joking, works....
Dishsoap strips wax off, in just one wash. Use a car wash soap, much less abrasive.

I use Zaino wax on the WS6 and it stays pretty **** sharp. It had some minor swirlmarks on it before I bought it, but enough coats of Zaino will fill them in.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=PHOTOS
Old 11-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Banned

thanks guys, love the look of black, but i hope i like the cleaning!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Banned

That's one sexy looking car. Zaino is great stuff. It's expensive, but you'll never find a product that does as nice of a job.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:47 PM

Cleaning

Use clean freshed washed without softner terry towels or microfiber to dry truck. fabric softner causes the fiber in the towels to harden and will leave scratches
Old 11-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Buy some microfiber waffle weave towels, I can't believe how soft and smooth they are. And they hold an incredible amount of water. Also visit www.autopia.org they will answer absolutely any question you have about washing and waxing your truck. These guys are loaded with information.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:12 PM

Re: Cleaning

Originally posted by koonster
fabric softner causes the fiber in the towels to harden
kinda defeats the purpose of the fabric SOFTNER huh....
Old 11-08-2004, 03:36 PM

I live in FL and a black truck is a no-no, BUT IHMO black looks the best. I use the Mr Clean Auto Dry system and a lamb wool mit , then let the blistering sun dry it with nary a water spot.

Quick Reply: Guys with Black Trucks!