3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Gave UP can't remove Rotors or bearing---ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gave UP can't remove Rotors or bearing---ideas

4hours later............. cant change axle joints or ball joints cannot get apart , how can it rust on that much in 40,000 miles i dont know!!!
i would like to see how a dealer does this on a regular basis, i'm sure there are some harder than mine.
if i knew it was like this i would have tore apart and antiseized when i got it with 3800 miles what a joke.

oh autozone or advanced wont let me rent a ball joint press unless i purchase there parts... what the -- i said if they sell xrf i would

beat with wood like Mr. Gadget
build a puller or pusher to put on lug bolts max that out till broke
beat some more with 4# hammer on smaller part of rotor
used 3 jaw gear puller on rotor till about to break, it just pushed the center shaft inward, until tight against axle.

put back together drove home.... oh no idea what 237ft lbs or 260ft lbs Is or whatever it was -- with a 3/4 breaker bar and pipe so who knows if i'll ruin wheel bearing too.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
BA1

soak it down with penetrating oil for a week, spraying it every day. I have also heard of torching and melting wax down into it.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you cann't get the rotor off you might be better off paying someone to do the ball joints........
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by skindaddy
4hours later............. cant change axle joints or ball joints cannot get apart , how can it rust on that much in 40,000 miles i dont know!!!
i would like to see how a dealer does this on a regular basis, i'm sure there are some harder than mine.
if i knew it was like this i would have tore apart and antiseized when i got it with 3800 miles what a joke.

oh autozone or advanced wont let me rent a ball joint press unless i purchase there parts... what the -- i said if they sell xrf i would

beat with wood like Mr. Gadget
build a puller or pusher to put on lug bolts max that out till broke
beat some more with 4# hammer on smaller part of rotor
used 3 jaw gear puller on rotor till about to break, it just pushed the center shaft inward, until tight against axle.

put back together drove home.... oh no idea what 237ft lbs or 260ft lbs Is or whatever it was -- with a 3/4 breaker bar and pipe so who knows if i'll ruin wheel bearing too.
Autozone will rent tools regardless if you buy parts from them. I strongly advise you to challege this policy with the store manager and take it further if you have too. I know Autozone policy well I am a retired Regional Manager and I can assure you this is not how they do business.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 AM

If you have access to it, heat. Nothing can do the job like a fire wrench.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:49 AM

I all most gave up on getting rotors off myself.
I got on my knees with a long handle sledge,
I had LuAnn turn rotor while I kept whacking
the back hard, I was almost ready to give up
when it started to move.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Sometimes the rotors just get stuck on there.

I've had them were one side falls off and the other side you beat to death to no avail.

In order to remove the hub assembly, this is what I did.

Loosen the four bolts on the back of the hub a little bit. Like a 1/4".

I rented a big 3 jaw puller (like 7 or 8" maybe). Tightened it on the hub pretty tight with a 1/2" ratchet (no cheater bar).

Then start the truck and turn the wheel back and forth. Should here some loud noises and it will move.

Then loosen the 4 bolts and tighten up the puller a little bit and turn the wheel some more.

Repeat until you get it off.

This worked perfectly on my truck as well as a buddies 03.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...s-t217250.html He tells you how to remove the hubs.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 AM

Amen to HEAT, the only thing that worked, i didnt want to use it at all but had to use it on almost everything, but we finally got it all off!!
What a joke funny thing every other vehicle i've owned (not Dodge) take the caliper off and it falls off. What the heck is the diff

annabella that might work for some but not for all it just bent any part i on the truck where i could get an extension or socket to touch. literally watched it fold it up in a hurry. there has to be a different way

how does the factory lower supposed to come out i had to torch off the top and pushed it out the bottom!!!
It has a Head on the top but also had a head on the bottom also i'm glad i gave up and torched it.

other than not knowing how to guage 263ft lbs for the big nut. hopefully not to lose or tight to ruin bearing. IN THE END IT WORKED OUT around 24 hours of work total alot of learning.
now have to decide if i should pay to do the drivers side, except they won't take the time to clean it all up and antiseize.
Seriously i wuold like to see a video of a dealer mechanic do this and his tool selection! that would be awesome and very helpful
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Just pulled my rotors of at 140000 kms, and it took lots of Kroil, and a godd hammerin' from a big dead blow to get it to move! Had a 98 Dakota that had to get the same treatment!!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 PM

you can use the power steering to get things to budge. take a block of hard wood and brace it against the axel get some one to turn the steering wheela little at a time, once you see it move bingo resume manual persuasion.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 PM

I have a little story about a brake job I did.I was taking the calipers off of my 02 about a year ago and when my extension on the rachet broke( which I had a cheater bar on it) all my weight went slamming into the wheel well and and when I picked myself up I needed 20 stitches in my left forearm. Ya know the little metal tab that holds the brake pads in place while you put the caliper back on... It opened my arm up like a zipper. A few days later I got a torch and heated the bolts up and then they came out just fine. Maybe I should have done that first...
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM

I was about ready to sell my truck after several hours of beating on the rotors, then the bearing. What a PITA!! I'm not looking foward to doing the other side.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fun huh?......

I use an 8' 2x3. I insert it from the opposite side of the truck and ram it against the inside of the brake disc. Not on the disc part as I don't want to bend it. turn the rotor, slam the 2X3, turn it a bit more, slam the 2X3, repeat. It will finally come off.

The unit bearings always break free with the power steering method. But you need to hang onto the steering wheel LIKE A MAN!.......
Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used a large 3 jaw puller, a 5 pound sledge, and a air chisel. It took me a lot of hitting, swearing and basically just making a lot of noise to get the rotors and unit bearings off. in the process i destroyed the dust shields but i managed to get the rotors and unit bearings off.

Quick Reply: Gave UP can't remove Rotors or bearing---ideas