3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fueling up when running

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up here you can get a $2000 fine if you don't shut your truck down at pump. Rarely is it enforced. I wouldnt want to be the one who has to pay it if they do.
Most of the time I shut my truck off unless it is real cold out. I also am out of my truck cleaning windows or such.
Usually when I shut my truck down I will check the oil and ps fluid level checkthe belts and such. Then I will carefully fill the last 5 Gallons in the tank.

A couple years ago they had a diesel pump catch fire it was -25 out the guy was on his cell phone and wasnt watching the pump. Still not sure what caused the fire but she caught and burnt down the pump and damaged his truck. So it is always kinda good to watch what your doing and not take it for granted.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not suprised that you can get a $2000 fine 'up there'. But what I am suprised about it is that diesel fumes ignited......
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
But what I am suprised about it is that diesel fumes ignited......
Most of the places I have bought fuel at also have a gas pump near by so the the fire could of been caused by gas fumes. I know a lot of people say well semi truck don't shut down when refueling but they forget that at most truck stop you don't see any gas pumps close to where the truck are fueling. BTW, I'm starting to see a lot more semi trucks that are now shutting down there engines when refueling, I'm told its to help cut back on wasting fuel. My self I shut mine down when I refuel as its hard to check the oil with the engine running
Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I watch wind blow...

mine rarelly gets turned off at the pump, or if i pull up to the store to get a coke. i usually refuse to turn it off in a drive thru, i just pull up and order. i don't know if the starters die in the trucks but i don't want to replace one so i just leave her runnin.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 PM

I always shut mine down. This should have been a poll.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I never shut down. I just stand there patiently and listen to my stacks bellow and grin like a kid in a candy store.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Let it run.

The day I get in trouble for that I'm jammed up for taking that tag off my mattress.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I shut down......gas pumps close by........I'm not going to be the one responsible for starting a fire and possibly burning someone.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 PM

i always shut mine down at the pumps. pretty sure most places 'up here' will make you. if ive been running on a longer trip i let it run for 30 seconds to a minute to cool off.
usually leave it running at home if im sticking some farm fuel in. been through the drive through a few times and never shut off yet that i can remember. its quiet enough i think. 2nd gens would have to though, to prevent windows from shatterting and the poor guys ears thats wearing the head sets from blowing up
Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 PM

only leave it running in the summer when my dog is riding shotgun
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldmikegraham
Let it run.

The day I get in trouble for that I'm jammed up for taking that tag off my mattress.
I think I saw you on Americas most wanted. That mattress thing is serious business.

I leave it running if the wife or kid is in the truck. I will kill it after turbo cools if it is just me.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After seeing two guys with 3rd degree burns caused by gas fumes igniting (one died that day, one two weeks later at the Lubbock Burn Center).....I roll the window down for me or my mutt.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 AM

If I have my trailer hooked up. Then I'm buying fuel at the truck stop. Mine stays running during fueling, truck and trailer inspection. After fueling, I pull forward, shut down, lockup and go for fresh cup.
I leave it running at the normal gas stations too. But, if I have to leave my truck after fueling. It's shut down and locked.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Wow, there are actually more people that shut down than I thought. I personally let mine run, but I'm curious, these guys that are worried about gas pumps close by, do you think the spark your truck throws while running is going to ignite something? Wait.... a diesel doesn't throw a spark... I just don't see the logic.

As for shutting down at a pump where there are no gas pumps around... I use diesel to start fires sometimes when I want to burn something, and I usually have to hold the lighter on it for a bit to get it going, so If something goes up in flames, it's not going to be because I didn't shut off my truck.

I guess I should add, if I had a newer truck that goes into regen, I'd probably shut down. From what I know you get some major heat from that.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 AM

For those that keep it running while filling... is there any potential for setting a computer code if you're tank is almost empty, and you add fuel additives like Power Service? Seems like dumping this in (in concentrate) w/o fuel mixing before re-starting the engine would or could be a problem?

Quick Reply: fueling up when running